All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:48 am

That's meant to show the significance of the shift in thinking as a counter to the "old people vote Republican".

The country has changed so much that even a deeply hated Democrat automatically wins the popular vote.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:54 am

Was she deeply hated or was that Trump's propaganda machine propelled by FB and Amazon advertising?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 am

A deeply hated Democrat, with a vagina, who stole the primaries, and was being "investigated" by the FBI. :hehe:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:01 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:38 am
Don't forget how bad a choice Clinton was, and the scandals that hurt her.
Indeed. Warren and Biden look like a safe pair of hands by comparison. I actually think Bernie would be the best choice, but the majority of Dems don't see themselves in the same progressive light as Bernard - they're basically Republican-Lite with a bit more public spending and a lot fewer jackboots!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
But are there any Dem candidates with charisma on an Obama scale?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:10 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:01 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Indeed. Warren and Biden look like a safe pair of hands by comparison. I actually think Bernie would be the best choice, but the majority of Dems don't see themselves in the same progressive light as Bernard - they're basically Republican-Lite with a bit more public spending and a lot fewer jackboots!
Eh? Bernie is very popular. He's basically polling in 2nd place behind Joe. He's blowing everyone else out of the water in terms of individual donors.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:25 am

But I still don't think the convention will pick him. Warren would be my second choice, but she has boobs, therefore Biden.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:51 am

He talking funny like yellow people
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... an-870252/
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:42 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:45 am
Not according to the popular vote. Trump won the EC with 100k voters in three states. He will easily do it again.
Grounds for optimism. Thanks for pointing them out. Trump won the Electoral College by winning three states, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan with 77,744 more votes than Clinton attracted. That's a razor-thin margin. Razor-thin majorities are a truckload more easily turned into minorities than landslide sized ones.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:02 pm

Conspiracy-theorist-in-chief!

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/08/12/politi ... cnn.com%2F
Where many Americans see immigrants living among them, raising families, attending schools, Trump sees an army of invaders threatening the US.
Where many lawmakers on both sides of the political aisle have great confidence in the US intelligence community, Trump sees an apparatus "run amok."
Where many economists see an independent Federal Reserve as an important part of a free economy, Trump sees unaccountable policymakers trying to ruin his presidency, and he tries to pressure them to lower interest rates.
Where many people see the US as a the world superpower with an interest in free trade and friendly relations, Trump sees a nation turned into a sucker, forced by leaders from both parties to give too much away to other countries -- the latest example is his frustration with China.
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:07 pm

More on the Trump plan to regulate social media platforms. Clearly the 'free speech' advocates who're warning about its effect are enemies of the people--the real lovers of free speech are people like Richard Spencer and Donald Trump.

'Leaked documents show White House is planning executive order to censor the Internet'
Breaking: leaked documents show that the Trump administration is drafting an executive order that, if upheld by the courts, could essentially end free speech on the Internet. The draft order would put the FTC and the FCC, headed by its notoriously corrupt chairman Ajit Pai, in charge of monitoring and policing online speech on social media platforms, online forums, and more.

It would give these bureaucratic government agencies unprecedented control over how Internet platforms moderate speech by allowing them to revoke the essential protections Congress laid out in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act (CDA). CDA 230 is the basic law that makes it possible for online platforms to let users post our own content, and to make basic decisions about what types of content they as private entities want to host. Every meme, every social media post, every blog and user-created video on the Internet has been made possible by this crucial free speech protection.

In practice, this executive order would mean that whichever political party is in power could dictate what speech is allowed on the Internet. If the government doesn’t like the way a private company is moderating content, they can shut their entire website down. The administration claims it’s trying to stop private companies from silencing speech—but this plan would create terrifying new censorship powers for the government to do just that. And the White House isn’t alone in promoting this misguided idea, some top Democrats have also called for weakening CDA 230.

The draft order has already been resoundingly condemned by First Amendment and free speech experts from across the political spectrum. Regardless of your politics, regardless of how you feel about the president, this is a terrible idea that will have the exact opposite impact of its stated purpose of protecting free speech.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Hermit wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:42 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:45 am
Not according to the popular vote. Trump won the EC with 100k voters in three states. He will easily do it again.
Grounds for optimism. Thanks for pointing them out. Trump won the Electoral College by winning three states, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan with 77,744 more votes than Clinton attracted. That's a razor-thin margin. Razor-thin majorities are a truckload more easily turned into minorities than landslide sized ones.
Not if the Russians are involved.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:42 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:25 am
But I still don't think the convention will pick him. Warren would be my second choice, but she has boobs, therefore Biden.
DNC Votes To Largely Strip 'Superdelegates' Of Presidential Nominating Power
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/25/64172540 ... ng-process

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Interesting. :tup:

I guess Bernard is a bit like Trump in as much as he has to overcome the institutionalism of his party - those apocryphal 'Never Sandersers". ;)

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:40 pm

Jeffrey Epstein hanged himself with prison bedsheet: source

Hillary arrest postponed.