All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: All Things Trump: Is it over yet?

Post by Seabass » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Kellyanne Conwoman's hubby, Republican George Conway:
Trump has done plenty to warrant impeachment. But the Ukraine allegations are over the top.

Among the most delicate choices the framers made in drafting the Constitution was how to deal with a president who puts himself above the law. To address that problem, they chose the mechanism of impeachment and removal from office. And they provided that this remedy could be used when a president commits “Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.”

That last phrase — “high Crimes and Misdemeanors” — was a historical term of art, derived from impeachments in the British Parliament. When the framers put it into the Constitution, they didn’t discuss it much, because no doubt they knew what it meant. It meant, as Alexander Hamilton later phrased it, “the abuse or violation of some public trust.”

Simply put, the framers viewed the president as a fiduciary, the government of the United States as a sacred trust and the people of the United States as the beneficiaries of that trust. Through the Constitution, the framers imposed upon the president the duty and obligation to “take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed” and made him swear an oath that he would fulfill that duty of faithful execution. They believed that a president would break his oath if he engaged in self-dealing — if he used his powers to put his own interests above the nation’s. That would be the paradigmatic case for impeachment.

That’s exactly what appears to be at issue today. A whistleblower in U.S. intelligence lodged a complaint with the intelligence community’s inspector general so alarming that he labeled it of “urgent concern” and alerted the Office of the Director of National Intelligence. Though the details remain secret, apparently this much can be gleaned: The complaint is against the president. It concerns a “promise” that the president made, in at least one phone call, to a foreign leader. And it involves Ukraine and possible interference with the next presidential election. The complaint is being brazenly suppressed by the Justice Department — in defiance of a whistleblower law that says, without exception, the complaint “shall” be turned over to Congress.

continued: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:22 pm

It's not illegal blah blah blah. Furthermore it seems pretty clear that the Democratic congressional leadership live in fear of the Trumpenproletariat. The US marches on to the glorious future as a giant banana republic.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Yeah, but we're the best, most luxurious, and most tremendous giant banana republic in the history of... well, all the histories... that I can tell you...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:34 pm

It is ASTOUNDING that Pelosi still won't impeach. What the fuck will it take? What the hell is going through that broad's head? Apparently she wants to change the law so that a sitting president can be indicted, but no one has any idea she would do it...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:30 pm

Seabass wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:21 pm
Kellyanne Conwoman's hubby, Republican George Conway.
That's going to make for an awkward breakfast.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:40 pm

Trump crashes climate change party he was not welcome at:

Earlier Monday morning, White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham raised the possibility that Mr. Trump might find time to appear at the climate change summit. "His schedule is ever changing, but it wouldn't surprise me if he popped by," she said in an appearance on Fox News.

And Mr. Trump did end up dropping by a morning session, where he was seen listening to the climate discussion inside the General Assembly Hall. Seated with new U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Kelly Craft and Vice President Mike Pence, the president listened intently for about 10 minutes before departing for his religious freedom event.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:52 pm

If looks could kill...

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:01 pm

:lol:

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:12 pm

:lol:

She should've gone for the throat... :ddpan:

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:34 pm

She should've heckled him. "Down in front, fat-ass!"
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:38 pm

Trump business at UN: block abortion so as to maximize babies and global warming.
9012012D-A0AA-451C-B678-5E997A9C3C50.jpeg

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:38 pm

Red herring.

Frank Zappa

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:30 pm

And once again they are right!
F77DE841-EB8D-4C45-8F36-B24CF5A99D50.png
“It’s completely unacceptable for Ukraine’s leaders to engage in these potentially criminal talks that have pushed us perilously close to taking action against the president,” said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, telling reporters that the bill, H.R. 2995, would “send a powerful message” to any nation or individual who would attempt to force Democrats’ hands at conducting oversight. “If these allegations are true that Ukraine allowed itself to be blackmailed by President Trump, we have no choice but to denounce these actions in the strongest possible terms. It’s deeply reckless for Ukraine to push us towards investigating criminal behavior, especially so close to an election year, and we hope this resolution will put an end to that.” At press time, Pelosi had expressed her satisfaction that the bill had been approved after receiving widespread Republican support.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:39 pm

Apparently Pelosi is talking about moving toward impeachment. And this -

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 pm

It would be really good to know just what Trump promised.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake