Media Bias

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: Media Bias

Post by Svartalf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:02 pm

mmmh, you know, most of them are natural morons, and would have no wish or incentive to better themselves, even if there were no fox to make them glory in their own silliness.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:09 pm

That's an excellent point. :sigh:

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:20 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:02 pm
mmmh, you know, most of them are natural morons, and would have no wish or incentive to better themselves, even if there were no fox to make them glory in their own silliness.
I agree. However, without Fox News and such inveterate liars as Rush Limbaugh on right wing talk radio dripping poison in their ears on a daily basis, they wouldn't have a somewhat coherent (albeit false) description of the world to stand in place of reality.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:30 pm

Do you really regard the Republican Right's description of the world as coherent?

I mean, when many of their precepts come from cherry picking from a book that is itself rife with contradictions and absurdities, and the rest from the imperative of profit at all costs, a big part of their description of the whorld they inhabit in consists in avoiding or whitewashing the contradictions and absurdities.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:40 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:30 pm
Do you really regard the Republican Right's description of the world as coherent?

I mean, when many of their precepts come from cherry picking from a book that is itself rife with contradictions and absurdities, and the rest from the imperative of profit at all costs, a big part of their description of the whorld they inhabit in consists in avoiding or whitewashing the contradictions and absurdities.
Heheh, I did edit my post to read 'somewhat coherent.' ;)

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:50 pm

It's hard to see a way out of this mess that the US is in. 50% of the population inhabit another universe altogether.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:11 am

Republicans are Ferengi in disguise.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:13 pm

American politics is no longer liberal vs conservative, free market vs Keynesian, etc. It's good vs bad. These assholes are literally praising war criminals and vilifying a whistleblower. How much more black and white can you get? Sometimes there's just no gray. There was no gray in fascist Germany and Italy. There was no gray during the Civil Rights era or the Civil War in the US. There is no gray in Trumpmerica. The Republican party is fucking evil and must be stopped.

Fox News questioned Lt. Col. Vindman's patriotism but praised war criminals
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:46 am

It's rather galling to see John 'Torture is OK by Me' Yoo badmouthing somebody who's serving his country with honor. The fact that Laura Ingraham brings him on to give opinions shovel that particular load of shit says a lot about who she is.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:56 am

Apparently Tucker Carlson would like Mother Russia to gather Ukraine back into the fold, by force (video at Twitter link below).
Tucker: "Why do I care what is going on in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia? I'm serious. Why shouldn't I root for Russia? Which by the way I am."

-- nikki mccann ramírez 5:20 PM - 25 Nov 2019

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:27 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:50 pm
It's hard to see a way out of this mess that the US is in. 50% of the population inhabit another universe altogether.
Yes, but it is not the only country in that position. The UK has been doing the "hold my beer" thing for a number of years now, and its steadily getting worse. If Boris Johnson wins the general election on Dec 12 it could be argued that the UK has become more of a clusterfuck than the US, at least as the average citizens' future is concerned.
Some media are just more brazen about their bias than others. This was the title page of the UK's biggest-selling newspaper, the Murdoch-owned The Sun on the day of that country's general election in 2017.

And yes, Corbyn lost, albeit by a smaller margin than expected. As in other countries with conservative governments, millions of voters are cretinous enough to believe all those distortions and outright lies and vote against their own interests. In my view it is only valid to vote Tory if you're sitting on a few million euros, or at least are on a significantly above average income you want to pay less (or preferably no) tax on.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:27 am

Hermit wrote:

...As in other countries with conservative governments, millions of voters are cretinous enough to believe all those distortions and outright lies and vote against their own interests. In my view it is only valid to vote Tory if you're sitting on a few million euros...
Yes, there are many voters easily persuaded, but the powerful impact of that persuasion is bought by money, lots of fucking money, it doesn't just happen...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:56 am

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:42 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:56 am
Apparently Tucker Carlson would like Mother Russia to gather Ukraine back into the fold, by force (video at Twitter link below).
Tucker: "Why do I care what is going on in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia? I'm serious. Why shouldn't I root for Russia? Which by the way I am."

-- nikki mccann ramírez 5:20 PM - 25 Nov 2019
Tucker sucks at whatever teat dangles closest.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:09 pm

At the end of that episode of 'Tucker Talks Shit' he went with the tired alt-right/Trumpist fallback position of 'Hey, that was a joke, you stupid libs!'

Fox News would prefer it if people stopped paying any attention to the events currently taking place in the US Congress.

'Fox & Friends Tries to Convince Americans to Not Watch "Irrelevant" and "Boring Hearings About Impeachment"'
“Fox & Friends” is working extremely hard to ensure as few Americans as possible watch this week’s House Judiciary Committee impeachment hearings, perhaps because they are designed to inform the American public about why impeaching this president is important.

Several times Monday morning the “Fox & Friends” co-hosts and contributors told viewers Wednesday’s impeachment hearing will be boring, while falsely claiming Americans are not interested in impeachment, and would rather be Christmas shopping.

“It’s going to be like a lecture,” co-host Brian Kilmeade tells viewers, noting the witnesses will be lawyers and historians. “If you were bored by the last one, you’re gonna be really bored by this one.”