Media Bias

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Re: Media Bias

Post by Cunt » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:15 am

I wonder why this clown hasn't been in the news more...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/secre ... r-BB1eXprk
On October 23, 2018, Hallie Biden took a .38 revolver belonging to Hunter and placed it in the trash outside Janssen’s Market in Wilmington, Del. After informing Hunter the same day, he told her to go back and retrieve the gun, however the gun was missing from the trash can when Hallie returned to get it.

Hallie told the store manager, who passed the information along to Delaware police. According to the police report, which was obtained by Politico, the incident caused heightened concerns because the store was across the street from a high school, and officers worried the gun could be used in a crime. The FBI, which was investigating Hunter’s taxes at the time, also reportedly responded to the incident.

I'm guessing it's because the lurid, sister-banging son-of-a-pop, who sat in the VP seat, isn't spicy enough to sell ad space.

Or there was another bias at work.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:32 am

... he says, citing a news report. :console:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:48 am

Cunt wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:43 am
I read an article referencing a court case, which opened with...
A New York judge slammed The New York Times for blurring the lines between news and opinion. The paper had attempted to get a defamation lawsuit against it dismissed on the grounds that, among other things, its reporters were just expressing their personal opinions when they disparaged the investigative journalists at Project Veritas.

The judge ruled the lawsuit can go forward, finding that Project Veritas showed sufficient evidence that The New York Times may have been motivated by “actual malice” and acted with “reckless disregard” when it ran several articles against the investigative journalism outfit.
So yeah, it sounds like another 'news' agency has been spreading bullshit about Project Veritas.
That is not what the judge said. And it is not an example of a court case in which Project Veritas was accused of lying and won. It could not possibly be, because the case was not about what the New York Times wrote, nor about the video Project Veritas published. It was about an motion by the NYT to have PV's defamation case dismissed.

Judge Wood rejected the motion. In his concluding section of his 16 page judgement he summarised the reason for his decision. I highlighted the relevant words and phrases which indicate that his judgement was not about the alleged defamation itself.
The court finds that the documentary proof and the facts alleged by Veritas are sufficient to meet its burden.The facts submitted by Veritas could indicate more than standard, garden variety media bias and support a plausible inference of actual malice.There is a substantial basis in law to proceed to permit the plaintiff to conduct discovery and to then attempt to meet its higher standard of proving liability through clear and convincing evidence of actual malice. Malice focuses on the defendant's state of mind in relation to the truth or falsity of the published information. Here there is a substantial basis in law and fact that Defendants acted with actual malice, that is, with knowledge that the statements in the Articles were false or made with reckless disregard of whether they were false or not.Veritas alleged actual malice by providing facts sufficient to demonstrate Defendants’ alleged disregard for the truthfulness of its statements. Accordingly, at this very early stage of the litigation, Veritas’ submissions were sufficient to withstand defendants’ motions, and further proceedings are necessary to resolve the issues raised.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:40 pm

Cunt wrote:...

Funny how I still believe Project Veritas over most other news orgs...
Hilarious.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:02 pm

Hermit wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:48 am
Cunt wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:43 am
I read an article referencing a court case, which opened with...
A New York judge slammed The New York Times for blurring the lines between news and opinion. The paper had attempted to get a defamation lawsuit against it dismissed on the grounds that, among other things, its reporters were just expressing their personal opinions when they disparaged the investigative journalists at Project Veritas.

The judge ruled the lawsuit can go forward, finding that Project Veritas showed sufficient evidence that The New York Times may have been motivated by “actual malice” and acted with “reckless disregard” when it ran several articles against the investigative journalism outfit.
So yeah, it sounds like another 'news' agency has been spreading bullshit about Project Veritas.
That is not what the judge said. And it is not an example of a court case in which Project Veritas was accused of lying and won. It could not possibly be, because the case was not about what the New York Times wrote, nor about the video Project Veritas published. It was about an motion by the NYT to have PV's defamation case dismissed.

Judge Wood rejected the motion. In his concluding section of his 16 page judgement he summarised the reason for his decision. I highlighted the relevant words and phrases which indicate that his judgement was not about the alleged defamation itself.
The court finds that the documentary proof and the facts alleged by Veritas are sufficient to meet its burden.The facts submitted by Veritas could indicate more than standard, garden variety media bias and support a plausible inference of actual malice.There is a substantial basis in law to proceed to permit the plaintiff to conduct discovery and to then attempt to meet its higher standard of proving liability through clear and convincing evidence of actual malice. Malice focuses on the defendant's state of mind in relation to the truth or falsity of the published information. Here there is a substantial basis in law and fact that Defendants acted with actual malice, that is, with knowledge that the statements in the Articles were false or made with reckless disregard of whether they were false or not.Veritas alleged actual malice by providing facts sufficient to demonstrate Defendants’ alleged disregard for the truthfulness of its statements. Accordingly, at this very early stage of the litigation, Veritas’ submissions were sufficient to withstand defendants’ motions, and further proceedings are necessary to resolve the issues raised.
Yes, I already said that I had made that error.

You still have only ever suggested the Acorn story for evidence that Project Veritas was untrustworthy, maybe there are more I missed, but I don't remember how you came down on the NYTimes. Maybe they have a more spotless record than PV, but I have a feeling it's the other way around. If you count by court battles lost, or paid settlements.

Not accusing YOU of bias, of course. Just the news orgs collectively known as 'Dirty Smear Merchants', unless otherwise vetted.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:35 pm

Generally I've stopped noting the latest pernicious drivel emitted by Tucker Carlson. However, every once in a while he makes an extra effort to get attention. He has a devoted following among US white nationalists and white supremacists, who praise him for repeatedly promoting their talking points, while he usually manages to use circumlocutions to do it.

On April 8 though, he went with terminology they're familiar with.

'Tucker Carlson Endorses White Supremacist Theory by Name'
When Nazis marched in Charlottesville in 2017, they chanted “You will not replace us!” and, somewhat more clarifying, “Jews will not replace us!” The terrorist who gunned down 51 people in Christchurch, New Zealand, used this slogan (“The Great Replacement”) in his manifesto. Last night, Tucker Carlson appeared on a prime-time Fox News show to defend this theory, not only in substance but also by name.

“Replacement theory” imagines that an elite cabal, frequently described as Jewish, is plotting to “replace” the native white population with non-white immigrants, who will pollute and destroy the white Christian culture.

Carlson likes to complain about the liberal habit of anathematizing conservative ideas as racist as a substitute for engaging with their substance. So, let’s analyze.

Carlson’s argument is cretinously stupid even by the standards of a Tucker Carlson monologue. He simply asserts that immigration expands the electorate, and therefore dilutes the political power of the existing population:
It’s a voting-rights question. In a democracy, one person equals one vote. If you change the population, you dilute the political power of the people who live there. So every time they import a new voter, I become disenfranchised as a current voter.

Anti-immigrant demagoguery is, of course, not new to conservative media. The most significant part of Carlson’s monologue is his decision to name-check replacement theory as the description of his ideas:
I know that the left and all the little gatekeepers on Twitter become literally hysterical if you use the term “replacement,” if you suggest that the Democratic Party is trying to replace the current electorate — the voters now casting ballots — with new people, more obedient voters from the Third World. But they become hysterical because that’s what happening, actually. Let’s just say it. That’s true.
It’s actually not true. The most generous possible read of this comment is that Carlson lacks the intelligence to understand the word “replacement.” I don’t think the word is especially complex, but allow me to define it. When you replace someone, you remove them from their current position. My employer hires new writers pretty often. If they fired me and gave my job to a new writer, that would be replacement. If they just created a new job, and assigned the writers to work alongside me, that would not be replacement.

Immigration is not like replacement, because it does not involve deporting the current population.

Of course Carlson is intelligent enough to understand the definition of a grade-school term like “replacement.” The reason he’s using it is quite sinister. He could simply make standard issue, non-racist arguments for lower levels of legal immigration, or perhaps more stringent border security. Instead he actively wants to frame his ideas in terms that appeal to white supremacists.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:56 pm

Those media platforms should ban Tucker.

Not real racists like Ibram Kendi, but the dangerous ones, with TV reach and good hair.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:37 pm

The supposedly left-biased media fall over themselves to provide neutral coverage of the voting suppression drive by Republicans.

'Media Manage to Both-Sides Georgia GOP's Suppressing Democracy'
Georgia’s new voting law--one of the first in a crowded field of breathtakingly brazen state voting bills the GOP is pushing across the country--has made national headlines. As voting rights reporter Ari Berman (CounterSpin, 3/16/21) has explained, these bills are essentially “an effort to overturn the election by other means.” But despite Republicans’ obvious--often explicitly stated--goal of rigging future elections more successfully than they have in the past, many of those national media outlets can’t give up their commitment to both-sidesing the story, giving cover to the anti-democratic campaign.

In its initial report on Georgia’s new voter suppression law, the New York Times‘ Nick Corasaniti (3/25/21) explained that Georgia’s Republican Gov. Brian Kemp highlighted his history of
fighting for stronger voter identification laws, which Democrats have denounced as having an outsize impact on communities of color. Mr. Kemp said that protests against the bill were pure politics.
Who’s to say which side readers should believe? Don’t ask the Times. Corasaniti seemed incapable of sorting out truth from fiction, noting later that opponents of the bill called “for a boycott of major corporations in Georgia that they said had remained silent on the voting push, including Coca-Cola.” It’s not hard for a reporter to verify that claim; it’s their job, in fact.

The piece offered this context for understanding the GOP’s motivation:
Seeking to appease a conservative base that remains incensed about the results of the 2020 election, Republicans have already passed a similar law in Iowa, and are moving forward with efforts to restrict voting in states including Arizona, Florida and Texas.
It’s a neat little trick to shift blame--the party is simply being responsive to its constituents! Never mind that it was the party that drilled the lie of the stolen election into the heads of their base. As Vox‘s Zack Beauchamp (4/6/21) points out, laws like Georgia’s aren’t just premised on the lie of election fraud; they serve to ratify that lie.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:02 pm

Do the voters want there to be voter ID?

I can tell what the media wants...
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:07 pm

They know their own.

'White nationalists praise Tucker Carlson's full embrace of their "replacement" conspiracy theory'
On the April 8 broadcast of Fox News Primetime, Tucker Carlson offered perhaps his most explicit justification yet for the core belief of the so-called “great replacement” conspiracy theory, telling viewers that “Third World” invaders are coming to replace them and reshape their environment, and that they should do something about it.

After the Anti-Defamation League called on Fox News to fire Carlson for his remarks, white supremacist and far-right personalities were quick to make their approval known.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:17 am

Fox News is trying to weasel out of the Smartmatic lawsuit. It may not be that easy.

'"This Is Not a Game": Smartmatic Says Fox News Anchors "Asked Questions to Elicit Lies" About the Company in "Disinformation Campaign"'
Smartmatic, the voting technology company that was the focus of multiple conspiracy theories surrounding the 2020 presidential election, asked a judge in New York to reject Fox News’s attempt to dismiss a lawsuit accusing the network and several anchors of knowingly engaging in a multi-month “disinformation campaign” against the company.

The 120-page motion, filed Monday evening in New York state court, argued that Fox News and its employees cannot use the First Amendment as a shield against the demonstrably false claims laid out in the initial complaint.

The $2.7 billion suit — which also names Fox personalities Maria Bartiromo, Jeanine Pirro, former Fox host Lou Dobbs, and lawyers Sidney Powell and Rudy Giuliani — stems from the airing of false claims and assertions that Smartmatic’s voting machines and software were part of a widespread scheme to steal the election from Donald Trump. Smartmatic said they only provided election services to one county in the 2020 election. That was Los Angeles County, which Joe Biden won.

“This is not a game. The First Amendment does not provide the Fox Defendants a Get Out Of Jail Free card,” the motion stated. “The Fox Defendants do not get a do-over with their reporting now that they have been sued.”

Smartmatic’s attorney, J. Erik Connolly, submitted the motion after Fox News sought to have the suit tossed by claiming their coverage of the election was protected speech. Bartiromo, Pirro, and Dobbs have each moved to dismiss the case as well. Lawyers for Fox argued that when the President of the United States and his surrogates publicly allege that an election was rigged, stolen, or otherwise improperly (or at least questionably) conducted, the press has a constitutional right to be able to disseminate and dissect those comments in the public sphere.
Just to note that Mar-a-Lardo wanted to make it easier to sue news outlets.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:37 am

I guess FOX et el could argue that the dissection and dissemination of conspiracy theories and lies about Smartmatic's role in the 2020 election were merely balanced reporting if they can show that they gave equivalent air-time to comments to the contrary and/or didn't express an opinion on the claims one way or another. If not then they're probably stuffed, and an out-of-court settlement seems like their only way out now. The Dominion $1.6bn suit against FOX is also still pending.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:18 pm

Project Veritas proves themselves more reliable than CNN again.

Someone should rush in and bleat about their 'Acorn Scandal' quick, so they can almost appear to support CNN. At least attack Project Veritas, come on, guys.

https://www.projectveritas.com/news/par ... ove-trump/
[NEW YORK -- Apr. 13, 2021] Project Veritas released a new video today exposing CNN Director Charlie Chester, who admitted that his network engaged in propaganda to benefit Biden’s candidacy during the 2020 election to the detriment of then-President Trump. Chester also said CNN has a pre-determined agenda when reporting on COVID-19 and climate change.
I wonder how much of their 'reporting' can be believed? Well, if you still hate Trump, I'm sure it's ALL very believable.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:30 pm

Oh, and just in case you skipped the article, here is some portends...
Chester: “We would always show shots of him [Biden] jogging and that [he’s] healthy, you know, and him in aviator shades. Like you paint him as a young geriatric.”

Chester went on to say that COVID-19 media coverage should be coming to an end in the near future. He added that CNN is already preparing its shift in coverage to push and promote climate change fear.

“I think there's a COVID fatigue. So, like whenever a new story comes up, they're [CNN’s] going to latch onto it. They've already announced in our office that once the public is -- will be open to it -- we're going to start focusing mainly on climate,” Chester said.

Chester: “It's going to be our [CNN’s] focus. Like our focus was to get Trump out of office, right? Without saying it, that's what it was, right? So, our next thing is going to be climate change awareness.”

Veritas Journalist: “What does that look like?”

Chester: “I don't know. I'm not sure. I have a feeling that it’s going to be like, constantly showing videos of decline in ice, and weather warming up, and like the effects it’s having on the economy--”

Veritas Journalist: “Who decides that?”

Chester: “Head of the network.”

Veritas Journalist: “Who is that? Is that [Jeff] Zucker?”

Chester: “Zucker, yeah. I imagine that he's got his council and they've all like, discussed, like where they think--”

Veritas Journalist: “So, that's like the next--”

Chester: “Pandemic-like story that we’ll beat to death, but that one's got longevity. You know what I mean? Like there's a definitive ending to the pandemic. It'll taper off to a point that it's not a problem anymore. Climate change can take years, so they'll [CNN will] probably be able to milk that quite a bit.”

Veritas Journalist: “So, climate change overload.”

Chester: “Be prepared, it's coming. Climate change is going to be the next COVID thing for CNN.”
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:44 pm

Yeah, man. 'Cause you know, men always tell the truth when they're on a date with a woman they don't know. They never tell tall tales about the big things they've supposedly done and wouldn't think of exaggerating anything at all.