Media Bias

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Media Bias

Post by Hermit » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:53 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:26 am
I knew it was possible someone would take the use of "significance" from my post to be about the impact progress has had on oppressed people. But my intention was to talk about mistaking that impact's significance for an indication of the sustainability of that progress. I was prepared to talk about that.
You did write you think "we tend to overestimate the significance of recent history". I replied to that.

But OK, let's address "the survivability of something like the social progress we've made so far". How do you determine that? Is it measurable like, say, the survivability of candlelight as you increase the CO2 component of its surrounding atmosphere? Or maybe the life expectancy of the candle? Or do you consult a crystal ball?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:08 am

That is what the discussion is for Hermit.

Some potentially good metrics would include things like its spread, or any susceptibility to counter movements.

So for spread, you might measure women's access to birth control globally for example. For susceptibility to counter movements, you might look at where progress has met resistance and at what caused the most difficulty.

Of course, much of this work is probably already being done. The UN does lots of work that may be used to determine the sustainability of our progress.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:13 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:08 am
Some potentially good metrics would include things like its spread, or any susceptibility to counter movements.

So for spread, you might measure women's access to birth control globally for example. For susceptibility to counter movements, you might look at where progress has met resistance and at what caused the most difficulty.
OK, crystal ball it is then.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:15 am

Why don't you just fuck off already man? I obviously can't have a conversation with you. So why do you keep initiating them?

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:34 am

Maybe it's time for you to disappear for a while to mope all on your own again.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:39 am

I'm sure you've got plenty of experience running people off Hermit.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:42 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:47 am
But aren't major disruptions part of the normal course of things?
What would you count as major disruptions over the past 100 years or so that have managed to reverse the changing zeitgeist (in terms of rights for gays, women and ethnic minorities, changed attitudes to animal cruelty and child labour etc.)?

I was meaning apocalyptic destruction of society and a collapse into barbarism, not just the minor blip that is Trump. Recent court rulings about the rights of certain minorities have shown that even his army of conservative morons cannot turn back the tide of change...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:48 am

JimC wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:42 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:47 am
But aren't major disruptions part of the normal course of things?
What would you count as major disruptions over the past 100 years or so that have managed to reverse the changing zeitgeist (in terms of rights for gays, women and ethnic minorities, changed attitudes to animal cruelty and child labour etc.)?

I was meaning apocalyptic destruction of society and a collapse into barbarism, not just the minor blip that is Trump. Recent court rulings about the rights of certain minorities have shown that even his army of conservative morons cannot turn back the tide of change...
Minor blip that is Trump! :hehe: I have often argued the same thing Jim. But I am having doubts now. I don't even see the breakup of the US as impossible. If that happens you will see states very close to rolling back the clock.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:50 am

If the US breaks up, then the world better practice eating with chopsticks... :tea:
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:50 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:39 am
I'm sure you've got plenty of experience running people off Hermit.
Let's compare notes, shall we?
Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:57 pm
Fuck off Hermit.
Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:15 am
Why don't you just fuck off already man?
Followed by:
Hermit wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:34 am
Maybe it's time for you to disappear for a while to mope all on your own again.
I think you're winning in the running people off stakes.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:55 am

Really? So in addition to being an asshole, you're also completely oblivious? Or is it your being oblivious that makes you an asshole?

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:30 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:55 am
Really? So in addition to being an asshole, you're also completely oblivious? Or is it your being oblivious that makes you an asshole?
Careful now, Sean. If you take this style of conversing much further people might get the impression you are attempting to engage in ad hominems.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:43 am

I've been misunderstood before. I'll live.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:52 am

I'm putting down the crankiness of the pair of you as part of the Covid-19 syndrome. I recommend gin...
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:00 am

JimC wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:42 am
I was meaning apocalyptic destruction of society and a collapse into barbarism
So, Trumpism.. :tea:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.