Media Bias

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Re: Media Bias

Post by Cunt » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:54 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:52 pm
:funny:
When I see all joggers passing by. WTF are they hoping to achieve?
One benefit is that it is a sport which filters out the weak. I've noticed that none of the people I know, who run consistently, are weak-minded. Nor are they weak-bodied. Strength is a requirement, and there is no 'royal road' to it. One simply has to earn it honestly.

Or fail to.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:30 pm

Ya see, the deal is, really, Mr. Carlson should not be expected to be factual in his statements. He's working on a higher level than mere facts. Facts aren't that important, what's important is making you 'think harder.' So instead of calling it trolling via disinformation, we're going to call it 'provocative things that will help me think harder.'

'Fox News lawyer tells judge that Tucker Carlson's audience doesn't expect him to report the facts'
An attorney for Fox News told a New York federal judge at a preliminary hearing that Tucker Carlson's audience does not expect him to report the facts — even when Carlson tells his audience that he is doing so.

And the attorney further argued that Carlson has no duty to look into whether his statements are truthful.

"What we're talking about here, it's not the front page of the New York Times," Erin Murphy, the attorney, said. "It's 'Tucker Carlson Tonight,' which is a commentary show."

The statements come amid a slander lawsuit brought against the right-leaning network by Karen McDougal, the former Playmate model who was paid $150,000 by the National Enquirer in a "catch-and-kill" sting to silence her allegations about an affair with then-candidate Donald Trump, who at the time of the alleged incident was a reality TV competition host.

McDougal claims that Carlson defamed her on a December 2018 edition of his primetime show, at which time the host accused McDougal and Stephanie Clifford (aka Stormy Daniels) of "extorting" Trump.

"Remember the facts of the story: These are undisputed," Carlson said in the segment. "Two women approached Donald Trump and threatened to ruin his career and humiliate his family if he doesn't give them money."

"Now, that sounds like a classic case of extortion," Carlson continued. "Yet, for whatever reason, Trump caves to it, and he directs Michael Cohen to pay the ransom. Now, more than two years later, Trump is a felon for doing this. It doesn't seem to make any sense."

"Oh, but you're not a federal prosecutor on a political mission," Carlson added. "If you were a federal prosecutor on a political mission, you would construe those extortion payments as campaign contributions."

The network wants the court to throw out the case on the argument that Carlson cannot defame anyone on his show, because his viewers do not expect him to state and verify facts. That would hinder McDougal's ability to prove that Carlson acted "with malice," which is the high bar of proof she must meet as a public figure.

Murphy, the Fox attorney, told the court that Carlson simply stirs the pot on his show — and a reasonable viewer would be able to discern between his "provocative things that will help me think harder" and straight news. The network airing Carlson's show also broadcasts news programming — and the word "news" is even in its name.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:29 pm

One spot of media bias that doesn't seem to divide politically, is when social media (or mainstream) suggests they are removing dangerously bad medical information, they seldom include chiropractic, or any of the other known 'C.A.M.' practitioners.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:27 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:30 pm
Ya see, the deal is, really, Mr. Carlson should not be expected to be factual in his statements. He's working on a higher level than mere facts. Facts aren't that important, what's important is making you 'think harder.' So instead of calling it trolling via disinformation, we're going to call it 'provocative things that will help me think harder.'

'Fox News lawyer tells judge that Tucker Carlson's audience doesn't expect him to report the facts'
An attorney for Fox News told a New York federal judge at a preliminary hearing that Tucker Carlson's audience does not expect him to report the facts — even when Carlson tells his audience that he is doing so.

And the attorney further argued that Carlson has no duty to look into whether his statements are truthful.

"What we're talking about here, it's not the front page of the New York Times," Erin Murphy, the attorney, said. "It's 'Tucker Carlson Tonight,' which is a commentary show."

The statements come amid a slander lawsuit brought against the right-leaning network by Karen McDougal, the former Playmate model who was paid $150,000 by the National Enquirer in a "catch-and-kill" sting to silence her allegations about an affair with then-candidate Donald Trump, who at the time of the alleged incident was a reality TV competition host.

McDougal claims that Carlson defamed her on a December 2018 edition of his primetime show, at which time the host accused McDougal and Stephanie Clifford (aka Stormy Daniels) of "extorting" Trump.

"Remember the facts of the story: These are undisputed," Carlson said in the segment. "Two women approached Donald Trump and threatened to ruin his career and humiliate his family if he doesn't give them money."

"Now, that sounds like a classic case of extortion," Carlson continued. "Yet, for whatever reason, Trump caves to it, and he directs Michael Cohen to pay the ransom. Now, more than two years later, Trump is a felon for doing this. It doesn't seem to make any sense."

"Oh, but you're not a federal prosecutor on a political mission," Carlson added. "If you were a federal prosecutor on a political mission, you would construe those extortion payments as campaign contributions."

The network wants the court to throw out the case on the argument that Carlson cannot defame anyone on his show, because his viewers do not expect him to state and verify facts. That would hinder McDougal's ability to prove that Carlson acted "with malice," which is the high bar of proof she must meet as a public figure.

Murphy, the Fox attorney, told the court that Carlson simply stirs the pot on his show — and a reasonable viewer would be able to discern between his "provocative things that will help me think harder" and straight news. The network airing Carlson's show also broadcasts news programming — and the word "news" is even in its name.
That's exactly right. Carlson used to be a reporter, but he is a commentator now. There is absolutely no guarantee that a commentator is telling the truth. They aren't held to the same journalistic standards the reporters are, so their arguments should be treated the same as any random bloviator on the internet. I always cringe when someone links to an opinion piece to support their point.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:30 pm

You couldn't make it up...

... oh, hang on. :think:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:33 am

:hilarious: Nothing's changed.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:54 pm

Looking into a reporter named Andy Ngo, it looks like there is some bias against him. I'm going to check his coverage of CHAZ/CHOP in a bit. Most of the close coverage I've seen so far was from antifa-friendly outlets, so this should be interesting.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:35 pm

Don't forget to check back and let us know what you found out on the Joe Rogan podcast eh?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:43 pm

Mostly, it sounds like, after listening to Andy Ngo, antifa likes to obscure their identity, and dislikes having their activities filmed, or their people identified.

Didn't listen to a JRE one yet. Should I?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:59 pm

Cunt wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:43 pm
Mostly, it sounds like, after listening to Andy Ngo, antifa likes to obscure their identity, and dislikes having their activities filmed, or their people identified.
Identified by whom, to whom, and for what purpose?

And just in case it's slipped your mind...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54289&p=1852695#p1852695
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54480&p=1836434#p1836541

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 pm

It did. Apologists for violence are gross to me, so must have blocked it out.

The right pretty steadily condemns violence by the alt-right. The left I've heard from leaps to apologetics instead of condemning.

Which is the way social media seems biased.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:07 pm

Cunt wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 pm

The right pretty steadily condemns violence by the alt-right. The left I've heard from leaps to apologetics instead of condemning.

To that I'd just say 'Bollocks'. You're never keen to engage in discussion about what the alt-right actually stand for or the consequences of their social and political demands - and when challenged you usually fallback on pretending you don't know what alt-right means or who comes under, or puts themselves under, that banner, or how to tell a neo-nazi or a fascist from a run-of-the-mill conservative etc. When you're happy to talk about that maybe we can have a discussion about political violence.

Feel free to answer the earlier question if that helps.

Frank Zappa

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:59 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:59 pm
Cunt wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:43 pm
Identified by whom, to whom, and for what purpose?
The 'No True Scotsman Antifa', being in full play, can always be a fallback for you, but I'll do my best...

Identified by free-roaming citizen-journalists. To their viewership on social media platforms, for the purpose of reporting events, either wonderful well-organized protest or riot.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:08 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:07 pm
Cunt wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 pm

To that I'd just say 'Bollocks'. You're never keen to engage in discussion about what the alt-right actually stand for or the consequences of their social and political demands - and when challenged you usually fallback on pretending you don't know what alt-right means or who comes under, or puts themselves under, that banner, or how to tell a neo-nazi or a fascist from a run-of-the-mill conservative etc. When you're happy to talk about that maybe we can have a discussion about political violence.
If 'alt-right' can't be well defined, I am resistant to using it.

I mean, what if you deem an org alt-right, and I don't? Where to we sort that out? Do you have a list of alt-right, right, near-right and the matching lefts?

Or is 'alt-right' just a phrase you use to avoid the particulars of a group?

Feel free to answer the earlier question if that helps.
I'll give it a go.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:33 am

Cunt wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:59 pm
Identified by free-roaming citizen-journalists. To their viewership on social media platforms, for the purpose of reporting events, either wonderful well-organized protest or riot.
AKA right-wing trolls...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!