Media Bias

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Media Bias

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:54 pm

Yeah, wait for the Netflix mini series to come out: The Impeachment, with Joey Tribbiani as The President and Meg Ryan as That Nasty Woman.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:06 pm

Do these guys ever have moments when they realize they're lying?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:24 pm

either they live in such a lalaland imaginary world they don't even realize that their speech does not conform to reality, or they have been doing it so long it has become second nature to them
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:30 pm

No. They live in an alternate reality where everything they say is true. Media representation has nothing to do with journalism any more, whoever controls the outlet controls the "news".
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:28 am

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:59 pm

Three Arrows after Ollie Thorn? You're becoming radicalised Ani! If you post Thought Slime or Kay and Skittles now you'll end up on a list.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:50 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:27 pm

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:26 am

Frank Zappa

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:15 pm

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:59 pm

There's never been any doubt that The Hill has a right wing slant. I use it as a source because on occasion it has good reporting. Still, this article about its tendency to uncritically disseminate Trump's lies in its Twitter feed shows that its journalistic integrity isn't particularly strong.

'The Hill can’t stop spreading misinformation about Trump’s impeachment'
President Donald Trump lies. A lot. On topics big and small, consequential and petty, Trump can’t seem to help himself from saying things that are just flat-out disconnected from reality. The Washington Post’s running total as of December 10 is 15,413 false or misleading claims from the president since he took office. By the time you read this, that number will likely have inched higher. He will lie tomorrow just as he lies today, just as he lied yesterday.

While there isn’t much journalists and news outlets can do to make him tell the truth -- especially since he tends to grant his interviews to friendly outlets -- there’s something they can do to stop his lies from infecting the public consciousness. Namely, the press can stop printing lies free from context.

Earlier this week, Trump conducted a rally in Michigan while the House of Representatives was voting to impeach the president over the Ukraine abuse of power scandal. In response, The Hill did what it always does: Promote the president's spin about the events without any context, pushback, or attempt to assess the validity of what he was saying.

As has been the case throughout his presidency, The Hill tends to take everything Trump and his allies say at face value, sharing their statements repeatedly without indicating whether they’re actually true. Promoting Trump's impeachment spin at this Michigan rally was nothing new for the outlet.
There are links in the story to analysis done by Media Matters which shows that The Hill outdoes other outlets when it comes to parroting Trump without any attempt to fact-check, and a good sampling of the resulting tweets. It's not just tweets though. Up until John Solomon's recent departure it also published plenty of rubbish from him, including baseless attacks on the US Ambassador to Ukraine, and several articles promoting the 'Ukraine did it!' conspiracy theory. In a story about Trump's reaction to the impeachment, it relayed his press secretary's statements without bothering to acknowledge blatant lies such as those contained in the following sentence:
"This unconstitutional travesty resulted in two baseless articles of impeachment that lack any support in evidence and fail even to describe any impeachable offense," she said.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:23 pm

:|~
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:26 pm

I'm putting this here as a bonus. Clearly the other video put this video onto my YouTube recommends. I only watched the start where she reads out the summary on the back of the book. I will watch it at some point because so far so hilarious. I'm just not watching two of these in a row.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:18 am

BBC chief dismisses accusations of bias in politics coverage
Director general Tony Hall’s comments follow threat from Boris Johnson to axe licence fee

Tony Hall, the director-general of the BBC, has defended the corporation’s election output against accusations of bias, saying that the national broadcaster had faced criticisms of its output from both leftwing and rightwing commentators in the weeks leading up to voting day.

However, Lord Hall has spoken out in praise of the BBC’s polling coverage, claiming the fact that it received complaints from all sides demonstrated it was unbiased.

Writing in the Daily Telegraph, Hall said: “Around 27 million people in the UK came to the BBC website to find out about the election results. It was a reminder of the trust people place in the BBC.
Well he would. :bored:
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:20 pm

"Chick fil-a is dead to me"? I take it Chick fil-a must've reversed its position on gay marriage or something? :ask: