Media Bias

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Media Bias

Post by Hermit » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:57 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:58 pm
Hey, language is constantly evolving. Get with the program grumpus. :prof;
There's a difference between evolving and regressing. Grauniad it is and shall remain unless you are intent on accelerating cretinisation. :prof:

:roll:

:mrgreen:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:35 pm

It strikes me that impartiality is pretty much impossible. Whether reporters are bringing their cultural and social baggage to what they report, however unconsciously, or whether you are a rag like the Daily Mail that deliberately spins everything to create right wing rage and disgust.

What seems to be different, in some parts of the world anyway these days, is the lack of pretence at objectivity. People do catch on though. The BBC World Service, admired for its relative impartiality at any rate is listened to from Africa to South Asia as a source that can be trusted not to be directly eating out the the hands of the local powers that be.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:46 pm

Rum wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:35 pm
It strikes me that impartiality is pretty much impossible. Whether reporters are bringing their cultural and social baggage to what they report, however unconsciously, or whether you are a rag like the Daily Mail that deliberately spins everything to create right wing rage and disgust.

What seems to be different, in some parts of the world anyway these days, is the lack of pretence at objectivity. People do catch on though. The BBC World Service, admired for its relative impartiality at any rate is listened to from Africa to South Asia as a source that can be trusted not to be directly eating out the the hands of the local powers that be.
Impartiality IS pretty much impossible.

Look at yourself (or MYself) and you'll see regular people with an opinion to back up.

The way it usually works is that one listens to both sides of an issue. With the academia leaning, that makes it nearly impossible.

Seriously, Rick Mehta was fired for having a divergent opinion - and HE was a tenured professor.

We need more people we disagree with, hogging the airwaves.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:14 pm

The news is one thing, but for many right-wing Americans the left has infiltrated all aspects of the media and Hollywood is an enemy.

In the last few years I've seen right-wing people throw tantrums over Disney diversifying their movies by adding stories from people of colour (like Moana). I've read an out-pouring of right-wing grief because some movie or other went mainly female or black (laughably Black Panther was dubbed racist for a lack of white people). I've seen comment sections lit on Alt-Right fire because some video game or other had female or LGBT representation. And on and on. A litany of mostly white, male tears.

But what is the alternative they propose? Disney, a Worldwide studio looking to tap into global markets, only make Snow White movies? That they make movies which represent white supremacy, homophobic views, and extreme forms of sexism that will be massively unpopular, won't sell and attack the people under their employment? Do they want WW2 movies sympathetic to Adolf Hitler or colonialism?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:34 pm

That's what people like Cunt and 42 want: The American Dream for whites only.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:08 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:34 pm
Are you assuming my race?

Or am I a self-hating race-traitor who wants white supremacy, in your fantasy world?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:13 pm

Self righteous liberalism can be every bit as prejudiced and blinkered as your average libtard. Just sayin’

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:19 pm

Rum wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:13 pm
Self righteous liberalism can be every bit as prejudiced and blinkered as your average libtard. Just sayin’
Of course it can. And real bias (the significant kind) is invisible to the user.

The media bias to the left is clear, but wasn't as clear when I limited myself to lefty (agreeable) sources.

I've learned very little from those who agree with me.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:23 pm

Animavore wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:14 pm
The news is one thing, but for many right-wing Americans the left has infiltrated all aspects of the media and Hollywood is an enemy.

In the last few years I've seen right-wing people throw tantrums over Disney diversifying their movies by adding stories from people of colour (like Moana). I've read an out-pouring of right-wing grief because some movie or other went mainly female or black (laughably Black Panther was dubbed racist for a lack of white people). I've seen comment sections lit on Alt-Right fire because some video game or other had female or LGBT representation. And on and on. A litany of mostly white, male tears.

But what is the alternative they propose? Disney, a Worldwide studio looking to tap into global markets, only make Snow White movies? That they make movies which represent white supremacy, homophobic views, and extreme forms of sexism that will be massively unpopular, won't sell and attack the people under their employment? Do they want WW2 movies sympathetic to Adolf Hitler or colonialism?
You certainly don't see any of that here. Who has criticized Moana? My kids have Moana dolls, Tiana dolls, and Elena of Avalor. I've never heard anyone - not even the right wingers here - say anything about there being Disney characters of different colors.

Where did you see anythinga bout Black Panther being black. Black Panther was always black.

Maybe there are some other forums where this happens.

Do you have any links or examples? Articles?

I would expect that there are some people who have bitched and moaned about a lot of different things. However, to say that there is any significant number of people ranting about Moana, etc, I think is a gross exaggeration. Where?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:24 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
LOL. On what basis do you say this? Whites only? Fuck off, scumbag. Calling me a racist, you worthless little piece of shit.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:26 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:24 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
LOL. On what basis do you say this? Whites only? Fuck off, scumbag. Calling me a racist, you worthless little piece of shit.
Calling us 'white', too.

I think I see racism here, but maybe I should ask my non-white kid to help me identify it. I've been accused of that most awful of identities - whiteness.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:33 pm

SD is nation-ist. Its the latest ‘ism’ you know. It’s deeply embedded and sadly there’s no cure once the mind if firmly shut tight.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:37 pm

Is 'nation-ist' similar to national pride? Patriotism?

Why is it so bad? I've heard patriotism by Queen-loving Brits, and it came out pretty damned nice. Made me wish I was one, and glad I live in a culture which was part of that old 'sun never sets' horseshit of old.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:41 pm

No. It’s a prejudice against a country - like racism only focused on a country. I just invented it and I’m sure it will stick.

..here on my iPad watching rolling news on the brexit fiasco.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:25 pm

Look I dont troll like our Russian cousins.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".