Re: Media Bias

Post by Cunt » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:07 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:29 pm
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:15 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:22 pm
... I don't think you really understand what freedom of speech actually means.
It's a bit, nothing more. The right in the US has been and continues to be committed to restricting speech and ideas that they disagree with. It's the right that are banning books, telling schools they cannot even acknowledge the existence of gay families, telling schools they can't teach history that might make some children 'uncomfortable.' This is not to ignore the restrictions on speech that have been imposed at colleges and universities in an attempt to limit 'hate speech.'

Neither the left nor the right are unequivocally in favor of free speech. Yet when it's a convenient rhetorical cudgel, both will yalp about restrictions they disagree with; weaponization of the concept of free speech. What luck to have a particularly ridiculous example here.
We've seen exactly this thrown into stark relief in the UK recently, such that despite opinion polls suggesting c.85% of the UK are in favour of a ceasefire in Israel-Palestine, the government, the opposition and the right-leaning press have continued to push Isreal's state narratives. Huge marches through the capital urging the government to call for a ceasefire have been labelled as 'hate marches' or 'terrorist marches' by the govt and its paid-for commentariat, with the very same people who pop up on broadcast news and/or write opinion pieces apparently defending 'freedom of speech' not only remain stoically silent on protecting the right to protest but have actually been calling for the marches to be banned and the attendees to be criminalised. For these people 'freedom of speech' is not a deeply held democratic principle but a de facto demand for their views to be given special regard while requiring the views of others must be suppressed and silenced.
Since this is a 'media bias' thread, may I suggest a different critique?

Where is the money in media going? Is there a big ad campaign for one side? Both? Who is paid to promote which message?

Since both countries should have propaganda, it could be a bit easier to identify. That doesn't say much about right or wrong, but seeing who takes money to push a message, or even better who GIVES money to push a message, might be illuminating.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:46 pm

Just found an interesting interview about the history of censorship in Britain.

https://feeds.soundcloud.com/stream/166 ... orship.mp3
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:56 pm

Still believe in an unbiased media? You might find they get a chance to prove it now, since there are a couple lawsuits coming along.

One is from Truth Social...
https://t.me/PepeMatter/17792
It must be a coincidence that X, Rumble's CEO and Truth Social all announced push back against the fake stream news establishment in near simultaneous fashion.
Elon Musk is literally going after the pedophiles behind pizzagate and Truth Social is coming for:
Newsweek, MSNBC, Daily Mail, The Daily Beast, Rolling Stone, Reuters, and many more.
What an incredibly encouraging turn of events.
May free speech be protected and Media Matters and their ilk go bankrupt as is what they deserve
If you don't like pepe the frog as a source, I'm sure you can find the original court documents.

The other from X and Elon, going after Media Matters for their ongoing bullshit ops., which seems to be also under investigation by the A.G. Paxton.

I wonder if they'll flee before having to do the 'discovery' part. Biased media would HATE transparency. All the way back to the 'journo-list' days, they've been working hard to appear fair and balanced.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:06 pm

Wake me up when the courts rule in their favor. Filing lawsuits doesn't mean shit. Trumpers filed 60 lawsuits challenging the 2020 election and basically lost them all.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:13 pm

rasetsu wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:06 pm
Wake me up when the courts rule in their favor. Filing lawsuits doesn't mean shit. Trumpers filed 60 lawsuits challenging the 2020 election and basically lost them all.
'basically' had many dismissed on standing, so that the evidence wouldn't have to come out.

How is that Georgia voting machine one doing?

Anyway, even if the lawsuits are won, you probably won't change your mind, so why the interest?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:47 am

That Mehdi Hasan better watch himself. He's become of interest due to the Trumpist right's love of free speech.

'MSNBC's Mehdi Hasan drags possible Trump AG pick for threatening to "deport" him'
MSNBC host Mehdi Hasan fired back at conservative lawyer and activist Mike Davis on Monday after Davis said he'd deport the journalist if Donald Trump wins the 2024 election and he is named attorney general, as has been floated by multiple Trump insiders, according to HuffPost.

On the Sunday edition of his show, Hasan exposed "Davis' threats to send journalists to the D.C. gulag" alongside "his repeated calls on social media for his followers to 'arm up against the violent Black underclass,'" displaying Davis' corresponding X/Twitter posts, during a segment on the right-wing, extremist figures who may comprise Trump's administration in a potential second term.

Davis responded to the segment on X, extolling the potential cabinet members as "Trump's Dream Team" and claiming to now have added the British-American anchor to his lists of people to indict, detain, denaturalize and deport.

“I already have his spot picked out in the DC gulag,” Davis added. “But I’ll put him in the women’s cell block, with @Timodc [former Republican National Committee spokesperson Tim Miller]. So these whiny leftists don’t get beat up as often.”

Hasan shot back in a post of his own, writing, "Nothing to see here, just the former Gorsuch law clerk touted as Trump’s next attorney-general, threatening to indict, detain, & deport me (for what?) & put Tim Miller, who is gay, in a women’s prison.”

“Nothing at all unconstitutional, fascistic, or bigoted about any of this,” he added.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:28 pm

If media wasn't biased, what would a response to the recent lawsuit against Media Matters look like?
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:49 pm

What would a response to the recent lawsuit against Media Matters look like, if media wasn't biased?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:53 pm

I guess there would be some hit pieces about X, some about Media Matters, and most of the media ignoring it, as a filing isn't all that marketable.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:24 pm

Lawsuits will win, or they will lose, based on their legal merits, not media coverage or lunatic conspiracy theories...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:27 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:24 pm
Lawsuits will win, or they will lose, based on their legal merits, not media coverage or lunatic conspiracy theories...
Yes, and media matters will not only have to defend the 'legal merits' of their actions, but they will have to allow discovery. Or panic, run and hide behind some legal strategy.

Transparency isn't always favoured by those in the 'dirty smear merchant' business.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:18 pm

Cunt wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:27 pm
JimC wrote:
Yes, and media matters will not only have to defend the 'legal merits' of their actions, but they will have to allow discovery. Or panic, run and hide behind some legal strategy.
That cuts both ways. Saint Elon may regret this.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:46 pm

rasetsu wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:18 pm
Cunt wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:27 pm
JimC wrote:
That cuts both ways. Saint Elon may regret this.
Saint?

I guess he may have been canticled, but I thought he was more a hedonist/gamertroll than Catholic. Live and learn, I guess.

Do you know if he got the canticle for rooting out all those feds when he took over? Or for exposing the other stuff?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:28 pm

The fascist manque former president thinks Biden should use the US government to 'come down hard' on a news outlet he doesn't like. First Amendment for me, government censorship for thee.

Never mind that the greasy fart has numerous news organizations that sing his praises incessantly, nor that he apparently doesn't understand the difference between cable and terrestrial broadcast. He's just confirming that he's ignorant and authoritarian.
Thank goodness for the First Amendment, which gives the American people, the private sector and the free press the right to tell the former President to shove it.

If Trump is going to say or do stupid stuff, or authoritarian crazy stuff, the press has the right to expose it.
Trump again threatening to use the power of the government against media he believes is being critical of him:

“More to come, watch!”

- Jonathan Lemire · Nov 29, 2023
- Ted Lieu · Nov 29, 2023

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:40 pm

Are they part of the Truth Social lawsuit?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote: