Media Bias

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Media Bias

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:09 pm

Conservative children's books, reviewed...

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:35 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:31 pm
Why, so you can point and laugh as I tie myself in knots? :biggrin:

Fine. I think your reasoning is good and you make a compelling case for why some people will connect so closely with history. It just fails to acknowledge any potential problems. So it comes across as failing to identify actual causes ..rankles. You said yourself that history informs the present. It's not a big jump then to informing your view of the present, and it's not difficult to imagine how looking at the world through the eyes of history can be problematic. The main concern I brought up was a potential to disrupt meaningful connections today.
It's a fairly rare affliction though. Remembering that in pretty much any population on Earth, abject ignorance of (and often active disinterest in) history predominates. Only a small minority actually explore history, let alone look at the world 'through the eyes of history.' Among those you will find some who weaponize history.

Where I differ with you is on this idea of role-playing. I've spent a fair bit of time discussing historical matters with others of like mind and can't say that I have encountered more than a very few who I thought were role-playing. Being passionate about history is not role-playing in my opinion, but you may disagree. Yes, there are historical reenactors as well as people who live for Renaissance Faires and such, but I don't think that is what you are talking about.

On the other hand we have the oh-so-sensitive Carol Swain and others on Fox News, who claim to believe that the exhibits at Monticello are intended to destroy Jefferson's legacy. Their succumbing to attacks of the vapors over this supposed outrage is almost certainly an example of role-playing. I don't think they're claiming to channel the feelings of people from past centuries though, if that's what you mean by looking at the world through the eyes of history.

Jeffrey Tucker isn't role-playing, he actually is a nasty piece of work who's pushing a shitty take to advance his fucked-up agenda.

Most of the above may be irrelevant--I could simply have the wrong end of the stick when it comes to your concept of role-playing in this context.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:43 am

Oh, those scamps at Newsmax.

'Report: Conservative Newsmax peddles Jan. 6 misinformation'
A conservative TV channel is presenting viewers with an “alternate universe” of how the deadly siege at the U.S. Capitol unfolded on Jan. 6, 2021, a new research report finds.

Newsmax has broadcast at least 40 false claims or conspiracy theories about the attack since June, when a House committee began televising its evidence about the role former President Donald Trump and his allies played in the day’s events, according to NewsGuard, a tech firm that monitors misinformation.

“If you’re watching Newsmax, you may come away with an entirely different feeling of what happened at the hearings, and what happened on Jan. 6,” NewsGuard analyst Jack Brewster said of the findings.

Many of the falsehoods, presented by anchors, reporters and guests who include Republican members of Congress, have been repeatedly debunked. Newsmax did not comment on the report.

Anchors and guests have claimed that there were only a few hundred rioters or that they were “unarmed,” despite photos taken from that day and federal charges that show some were armed with guns or used pepper spray, flagpoles and stun guns as weapons. The Department of Justice estimates at least 2,000 people entered the U.S. Capitol.

Former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson testified last month that Trump had been informed protesters were armed with weapons.

Another false claim that Trump ordered National Guard troops to the scene, only to be blocked by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., was repeated 11 times since the Jan. 6 committee began its hearings on June 9, for example. That misinformation was proven false more than a year ago: Pelosi doesn’t direct the National Guard.

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:38 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:52 pm
Of course Biden lies a lot, he's not called sleepin Joe for nothing, and it's better to be lying down than sitting or standing if you intend to sleep a bit.
:tup:

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:45 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:29 pm
I love history. We are all better for learning it.

But we're closer, with few exceptions, to everyone today than even our own recent history, nevermind hundreds of years ago.

I could champion my Irishness, many do. Or my Italian, my grandmother being the first born in the US. Many in my family do both. But they're roll-playing, and yes, they're weirdos.
Historical awareness is about identity formation. It's hard to know who you are without knowing how you got to where you are and who you have been. And history is best learned holistically, integrating the small-scale with the large, the personal with the cultural, short-periods as well as long spans of time, and events long past as well as those from just recently.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:44 am

Guardian:

‘US democracy will not survive for long’: how January 6 hearings plot a roadmap to autocracy
Trump’s efforts to subvert the elections laid bare the system’s weaknesses, exposing it to greater exploitation
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well

Post by rasetsu » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:23 pm

Yeah, we were pretty much fucked when they didn't appoint F.D.R. king.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:52 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:Oh, those scamps at Newsmax.

'Report: Conservative Newsmax peddles Jan. 6 misinformation'
A conservative TV channel is presenting viewers with an “alternate universe” of how the deadly siege at the U.S. Capitol unfolded on Jan. 6, 2021, a new research report finds.

Newsmax has broadcast at least 40 false claims or conspiracy theories about the attack since June, when a House committee began televising its evidence about the role former President Donald Trump and his allies played in the day’s events, according to NewsGuard, a tech firm that monitors misinformation.

“If you’re watching Newsmax, you may come away with an entirely different feeling of what happened at the hearings, and what happened on Jan. 6,” NewsGuard analyst Jack Brewster said of the findings.

Many of the falsehoods, presented by anchors, reporters and guests who include Republican members of Congress, have been repeatedly debunked. Newsmax did not comment on the report.

Anchors and guests have claimed that there were only a few hundred rioters or that they were “unarmed,” despite photos taken from that day and federal charges that show some were armed with guns or used pepper spray, flagpoles and stun guns as weapons. The Department of Justice estimates at least 2,000 people entered the U.S. Capitol.

Former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson testified last month that Trump had been informed protesters were armed with weapons.

Another false claim that Trump ordered National Guard troops to the scene, only to be blocked by Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., was repeated 11 times since the Jan. 6 committee began its hearings on June 9, for example. That misinformation was proven false more than a year ago: Pelosi doesn’t direct the National Guard.
The variety and scope of the 'alternative facts' the Trumpist media present about the Jan 6 usurpation attempt are telling I think. They don't provide a coherent, consistent account of the day's events, or how they came about, as much as provide an competing explanation for some detail or element of it. For example, only 200 unarmed sightseers entered the building on the day, but Trump called in the national guard anyway - so it was both not in any way a big deal or a danger to anyone or anything, but also a pressing emergency that required paramilitary intervention by the state.

I don't think this element of the media is informing or leading anyone's opinions as much as providing narratives that salve the intellectual and emotional discontinuity between what Trumpist say they represent and what the actions of the day amounted to or represented - actions that stand as a stark challenge to the Trumpian identity of good, honest, brave, truly patriotic people righting a terrible injustice for the good of all. To admit otherwise exposes the votaries and acolytes of Trumpism to the uncomfortable idea that the cult, and it's figurehead (because Trump is not the cult's intellectual leader or paymaster - only its posterboy), might not have been on the side of good, honest, brave, patriotic justice after all; that the cult might not have acted even for the good of its members, let alone for the good of all. To acknowledge something like that would to be to admit that one was duped, lied to, played for a fool.

It seems to me that the role of the Trumpian media here is not to provide information but to act as the compendium of official doctrine regarding all elements of Trumpist faith and morals - even if that means undermining one proposed explanation (some might say excuse) of some inconvenient point, statement, charge or fact with subsequent contradictory explanations for the very same thing.

The battleground is not, as Trumpists have been told, over who gets to control the government, but over who gets to control the narrative - for he who controls the narrative controls the Universe.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:59 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:35 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:31 pm
Why, so you can point and laugh as I tie myself in knots? :biggrin:

Fine. I think your reasoning is good and you make a compelling case for why some people will connect so closely with history. It just fails to acknowledge any potential problems. So it comes across as failing to identify actual causes ..rankles. You said yourself that history informs the present. It's not a big jump then to informing your view of the present, and it's not difficult to imagine how looking at the world through the eyes of history can be problematic. The main concern I brought up was a potential to disrupt meaningful connections today.
It's a fairly rare affliction though. Remembering that in pretty much any population on Earth, abject ignorance of (and often active disinterest in) history predominates. Only a small minority actually explore history, let alone look at the world 'through the eyes of history.' Among those you will find some who weaponize history.

Where I differ with you is on this idea of role-playing. I've spent a fair bit of time discussing historical matters with others of like mind and can't say that I have encountered more than a very few who I thought were role-playing. Being passionate about history is not role-playing in my opinion, but you may disagree. Yes, there are historical reenactors as well as people who live for Renaissance Faires and such, but I don't think that is what you are talking about.

On the other hand we have the oh-so-sensitive Carol Swain and others on Fox News, who claim to believe that the exhibits at Monticello are intended to destroy Jefferson's legacy. Their succumbing to attacks of the vapors over this supposed outrage is almost certainly an example of role-playing. I don't think they're claiming to channel the feelings of people from past centuries though, if that's what you mean by looking at the world through the eyes of history.

Jeffrey Tucker isn't role-playing, he actually is a nasty piece of work who's pushing a shitty take to advance his fucked-up agenda.

Most of the above may be irrelevant--I could simply have the wrong end of the stick when it comes to your concept of role-playing in this context.
It's always good to discuss things with you.

I don't want to discourage studying history, just to say that it's not harmless. More importantly though, the position I'm taking here is an attempt to answer in part why we are still so divided by race even as we've become closer than ever in many ways. In this context role-playing and seeing the world through the eyes of history is just a way of talking about how we often see ourselves and others as no different than how we imagine our respective groups to have been historically.

For example, raised in a conservative family I think I recognized women's intelligence much later than had I grown up progressive.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:48 pm

The White house forecast for jobs growth in July was 250,000. When jobs growth turned out to be 528,000 for that month, Fox News reported it like this:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:24 pm

:funny:

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:29 am

Fox News, ginning up hatred in their audience for the judge who signed off in the search warrant for Mar-a-Lardo, used a photoshopped image of the judge getting a foot-rub from Epstein's procuress Maxwell.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:39 am

Surely the judge could sue their arse off for promulgating that defamatory image...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:43 pm

Musk...inching forward on Twitter deal and to return Trump to power. Trump will crush the FBI yet when he has Twitter:

Three Days after Elon Musk said he wanted to return to his original agreement to buy Twitter for $54.20 a share, the Tesla CEO is asking the social media company to end all litigation in order to close the deal.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/10/06/mus ... terms.html
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:22 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:29 am
Fox News, ginning up hatred in their audience for the judge who signed off in the search warrant for Mar-a-Lardo, used a photoshopped image of the judge getting a foot-rub from Epstein's procuress Maxwell.

I don't know how old that pic is, but by then I would not have minded her doing that to me... I'm very much like <Laklak in that regard.
beside that, the photoshop job is pretty obvious...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping