Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 13841
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:48 pm

San Diego TV station: CNN declined our 'local view' because of reports on wall effectiveness https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4248 ... ts-on-wall
A San Diego television station on Thursday said that CNN had asked for a "local view" and then "declined to hear from us" after past reports from the station showed that a border wall was effective.
"Thursday morning, CNN called the KUSI Newsroom asking if one of our reporters could give them a local view of the debate surrounding the border wall and government shutdown," a report by KUSI, an independent station in San Diego that began airing in 1982, begins.

"KUSI offered our own Dan Plante, who has reported dozens of times on the border, including one story from 2016 that was retweeted by former Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich, and posted on DrudgeReport.com," it continues while linking to a border fence tour report.

"We believe CNN declined a report from KUSI because we informed them that most Border Patrol Agents we have spoken to told us the barrier does in fact work," it concludes. "We have continuously been told by Border Patrol Agents that the barrier along the Southern border helps prevent illegal entries, drugs, and weapons from entering the United States, and the numbers prove it."
Which, of course, is counterintuitive, because, we all know from a lifetime of experience that walls are ineffective at discouraging or resisting human beings from entering walled-off areas. They may as well not be there.
"If socialists understood economics, they wouldn't be socialists." Friedrich Von Hayek.

User avatar
BarnettNewman
extemporaneous
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by BarnettNewman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:38 pm

3 found shot dead in luxury home in Texas gated community: report | Fox News
A San Antonio man found the woman he had been dating and two teenage girls shot dead inside a luxury home within a gated community where they all lived, reports said.

Investigators in Bexar County said the two teenagers appeared to have been murdered. Family members identified the woman as 37-year-old Nichol Olsen, the San Antonio Express-News reported. Authorities are working to determine if she was killed or committed suicide.

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 19370
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by Hermit » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:29 am

BarnettNewman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:38 pm
3 found shot dead in luxury home in Texas gated community: report | Fox News
A San Antonio man found the woman he had been dating and two teenage girls shot dead inside a luxury home within a gated community where they all lived, reports said.

Investigators in Bexar County said the two teenagers appeared to have been murdered. Family members identified the woman as 37-year-old Nichol Olsen, the San Antonio Express-News reported. Authorities are working to determine if she was killed or committed suicide.
What's your argument? No point in having walls because they are not 100% effective? That's about as moronic as opposing gun control laws because they don't prevent 100% of all unlawful and accidental killings. I took you for better than that.

Don't mistake my comment as support for a coast to coast wall. I think with today's technologies more effective and far cheaper ways of minimising illegal crossings can be devised for much of the border.

User avatar
laklak
Posts: 16206
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 pm
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by laklak » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:33 am

Hunter killer drones. 10 mile wide kill zone. Anyone who gets through goes in front of Judge Dredd.

I tell ya, put me in charge of the world and I'll sort this shit out in short order.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

User avatar
BarnettNewman
extemporaneous
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:29 am
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by BarnettNewman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:12 am

Hermit wrote:
BarnettNewman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:38 pm
3 found shot dead in luxury home in Texas gated community: report | Fox News
A San Antonio man found the woman he had been dating and two teenage girls shot dead inside a luxury home within a gated community where they all lived, reports said.

Investigators in Bexar County said the two teenagers appeared to have been murdered. Family members identified the woman as 37-year-old Nichol Olsen, the San Antonio Express-News reported. Authorities are working to determine if she was killed or committed suicide.
What's your argument? No point in having walls because they are not 100% effective? That's about as moronic as opposing gun control laws because they don't prevent 100% of all unlawful and accidental killings. I took you for better than that.

Don't mistake my comment as support for a coast to coast wall. I think with today's technologies more effective and far cheaper ways of minimising illegal crossings can be devised for much of the border.
I apologize. I didn’t know we were taking this thread seriously.

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 19370
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by Hermit » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:19 am

BarnettNewman wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:12 am
Hermit wrote:
BarnettNewman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:38 pm
3 found shot dead in luxury home in Texas gated community: report | Fox News
A San Antonio man found the woman he had been dating and two teenage girls shot dead inside a luxury home within a gated community where they all lived, reports said.

Investigators in Bexar County said the two teenagers appeared to have been murdered. Family members identified the woman as 37-year-old Nichol Olsen, the San Antonio Express-News reported. Authorities are working to determine if she was killed or committed suicide.
What's your argument? No point in having walls because they are not 100% effective? That's about as moronic as opposing gun control laws because they don't prevent 100% of all unlawful and accidental killings. I took you for better than that.

Don't mistake my comment as support for a coast to coast wall. I think with today's technologies more effective and far cheaper ways of minimising illegal crossings can be devised for much of the border.
I apologize. I didn’t know we were taking this thread seriously.
I believe you. Thousands wouldn't, but I do.

User avatar
Joe
Posts: 1195
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:10 am
Location: The Hovel under the Mountain
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by Joe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:08 pm

This needed higher walls. The owner was killed by foreigners who crossed the border illegally.

Image

And OP, this is intended as humor, so spare us a wall of pedantry. :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"as far as strong, i am hard as a rock and tough as a nail. no one will bring me down. no one. i am the debonator. the tnt. and jesus has my back door pal!" - D. C. Bockemehl
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

User avatar
Sean Hayden
Microagressor
Posts: 9871
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Fuck the wall, we need a dome.
shut up

User avatar
Animavore
Nasty Hombre
Posts: 37563
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:26 am
Location: Ire Land.
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by Animavore » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:34 pm

You need to move to space. It's the only way to be sure.
"I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this,” she said of Mr. Trump. “I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”
- It was all about hurting people.

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 47767
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:09 pm

You need a sort of sonic fence that obliterates anything that passes through it.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"You know you blokes didn't criticize Obama. You're lying. - Forty Two. Umm - http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42144

User avatar
Jason
Destroyer of words
Posts: 17448
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:46 pm
About me: I Sexually Identify As A Fractal
Location: Nodes of Ranvier
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by Jason » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:29 pm

Satellites in geosynchronous orbit over the US-Mexico border than can drop ordinance on the illegals. It's the only way to be sure.
Hooray! Onward to greater synthethis!

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 21400
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:37 pm

Image
.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
laklak
Posts: 16206
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:07 pm
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"
Location: Tannhauser Gate
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by laklak » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:04 am

They're not just thick, they're succulent...
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

User avatar
Rum
Absent Minded Processor
Posts: 35767
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:25 pm
Location: South of the border..though not down Mexico way..
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by Rum » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:51 am

Hadrian’s wall is just up the road from me. It didn’t keep kilted bastits out very long!

Actually although it seems to have had a defensive role, it was probably as important as a trading and tax piece of infrastructure.

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 21400
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Walls, They Are Ineffective At Keeping People Out

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 am

The Antonine Wall is not far from me.
.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rum and 14 guests