Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:04 pm

rainbow wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:47 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:37 am

Well who is really bothered; The British government?

Get over your obsession. How many new cases of Covid in the Netherlands today?
You see you have not got a clue. You are so fucking thick you cannot understand anything. It is not about official numbers but what happens to them. A case is just that a case, someone who got tested. Big deal. How many end up in hospital? Or in IC. Really pathetic.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:58 pm

Scot and rainbow, please confine your arguments to the issues themselves rather than indulging yourselves in personal attacks.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:26 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:04 pm
rainbow wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:47 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:37 am

Well who is really bothered; The British government?

Get over your obsession. How many new cases of Covid in the Netherlands today?
You see you have not got a clue. You are so fucking thick you cannot understand anything. It is not about official numbers but what happens to them. A case is just that a case, someone who got tested. Big deal. How many end up in hospital? Or in IC. Really pathetic.
Refusing to answer my question?
Noted. How childish.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:28 am

JimC wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:58 pm
Scot and rainbow, please confine your arguments to the issues themselves rather than indulging yourselves in personal attacks.
Sorry, but he started it. :awesomekid:
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:30 am

Please. The Tantrum Kid started it.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:52 am

Brexit: barristers question selection of legal team leading UK drive to override deal
Critics say advice should have been sought from lawyers without views on EU debate

The government is facing increasing scrutiny over its decision to use “committed Brexiteer” lawyers to provide advice on the legality of breaching the EU withdrawal agreement.

On Saturday, the attorney general, Suella Braverman QC, who chaired the annual general meeting of the Bar Council that represents barristers in England and Wales, faced repeated criticism over her role as the government’s chief legal adviser, according to those present.

Jessica Simor QC, the vice-chair of the council’s EU law committee, asked Braverman why “in the light of the extremely serious matters at issue, such advice [was not] sought from Treasury counsel, Sir James Eadie QC?”

Instead, she said, an opinion was sought from Guglielmo Verdirame QC, a professor of law at King’s College London, Richard Ekins, a professor of law and constitutional government at Oxford University, and Richard Howell, a barrister at Brick Court chambers in London.

The involvement of Verdirame, Ekins and Howell in advising the government was first revealed by the Guardian.
Another stinking corrupt turd.
How can English lawyers represent Scotland.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:59 am

rainbow wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:28 am
JimC wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:58 pm
Sorry, but he started it. :awesomekid:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:30 am
Please. The Tantrum Kid started it.
No! I am Spartacus.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:02 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:52 am
Brexit: barristers question selection of legal team leading UK drive to override deal
Critics say advice should have been sought from lawyers without views on EU debate

The government is facing increasing scrutiny over its decision to use “committed Brexiteer” lawyers to provide advice on the legality of breaching the EU withdrawal agreement.

On Saturday, the attorney general, Suella Braverman QC, who chaired the annual general meeting of the Bar Council that represents barristers in England and Wales, faced repeated criticism over her role as the government’s chief legal adviser, according to those present.

Jessica Simor QC, the vice-chair of the council’s EU law committee, asked Braverman why “in the light of the extremely serious matters at issue, such advice [was not] sought from Treasury counsel, Sir James Eadie QC?”

Instead, she said, an opinion was sought from Guglielmo Verdirame QC, a professor of law at King’s College London, Richard Ekins, a professor of law and constitutional government at Oxford University, and Richard Howell, a barrister at Brick Court chambers in London.

The involvement of Verdirame, Ekins and Howell in advising the government was first revealed by the Guardian.
Another stinking corrupt turd.
How can English lawyers represent Scotland.
For the same reason a lawyer can represent a criminal without being one?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:53 am

Boris called XR an "organised criminal gang" for peacefully picketing a newspaper distribution warehouse, but if you use the powers of state to enact a law that allows you to break the law you're a patriot, apparently.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:26 am

Svartalf wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:02 am
For the same reason a lawyer can represent a criminal without being one?
*SYSTEM OVERLOAD*

Does not compute.
BArF−4

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:44 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:53 am
Boris called XR an "organised criminal gang" for peacefully picketing a newspaper distribution warehouse, but if you use the powers of state to enact a law that allows you to break the law you're a patriot, apparently.
That's disgraceful! :lay:

Based on my experience of XR in Oz, it's just so wrong to use the term "organised"!

:leave:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:59 pm

It is disgraceful Jim. But it keeps the conversation focused on the presumed low-character of activists, even as it was leaked today that the UK armed forces are drawing up contingency plans for a possible 3.5°C rise in global temperatures by 2050.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:25 am

Tory cronies are squeezing the UK on everything.

'Alternative to Irish backstop' consultant in line for £200m contract
Exclusive: Shanker Singham was one of key experts involved in non-government Alternative Arrangements Commission

A consultant who had a leading role in the campaign for an alternative to Theresa May’s Irish border “backstop” is in the running for all or part of a £200m government contract related to the post-Brexit checks down the Irish Sea.

Shanker Singham, one of the main proponents of the so-called “alternative arrangements” for the Irish border, is understood to have teamed up with the customs expert Robert Hardy and the technology company Fujitsu for the Trader Support Service (TSS) contract.

The contract, the first of the Brexit spoils in Northern Ireland, was put out to tender in the summer with the appointment announced in time for implementation in September.

Deloitte and the Institute of Export are also believed to have been involved in bids. None of the parties would comment because they are in a legally binding “standstill” period under government procurement rules.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:34 pm

Johnson once again makes a famous U-turn.

Brexit: Boris Johnson makes fresh concession to Tory rebels
Parliament will be asked to override withdrawal agreement only if Northern Ireland protocol is undermined, says No 10

Downing Street has clarified that it would ask parliament to support using powers to override parts of the Brexit withdrawal agreement only if the EU undermines the “fundamental purpose” of the Northern Ireland protocol.

Boris Johnson brokered a deal with Conservative rebels on Wednesday to see off a potential party revolt, agreeing to grant MPs a vote before invoking powers in the UK internal market bill that would break international law by breaching the EU withdrawal agreement.

In a fresh concession to rebels, No 10 published a policy paper on Thursday setting out the circumstances in which it would use the powers, as well as confirming that the government would also seek to use the dispute resolution mechanisms in the withdrawal agreement at the same time.

The government’s deal with backbenchers, a group of whom were supporting senior Tory MP Sir Bob Neill’s amendment to give parliament a veto over use of the measures in the bill, came on Wednesday hours after the resignation of Lord Keen, the UK government’s law officer for Scotland

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:29 am

Well Johnson needs a Trump win:

Angry Tory MPs reject Joe Biden's comments on UK-EU Brexit talks
Trade deal with US not possible if UK undermines Good Friday agreement, Democrats say

Conservative MPs have reacted angrily to an intervention by Joe Biden, the US Democratic presidential candidate, in the UK Brexit talks, accusing him of ignorance of the Northern Ireland peace process.

In a tweet on Wednesday, Biden warned the UK there would be no US-UK free trade agreement if the Brexit talks ended with the Good Friday agreement being undermined. He tweeted: “We can’t allow the Good Friday agreement that brought peace to Northern Ireland to become a casualty of Brexit.

“Any trade deal between the US and UK must be contingent upon respect for the agreement and preventing the return of a hard border. Period.”

His intervention was welcomed by Richard Neal, the chairman of Congress’s ways and means committee.

The backlash was led by the former cabinet minister Iain Duncan Smith, who told the Times: “We don’t need lectures on the Northern Ireland peace deal from Mr Biden. If I were him I would worry more about the need for a peace deal in the US to stop the killing and rioting before lecturing other sovereign nations.”
As if IDS has room to talk.