BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:17 pm

Rum wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:04 pm
As a remainer I deny any liability!

‘Project fear’ was a factor on both sides, though the leave camps whipped up more in the way of xenophobic anxieties, so in that respect they could be accused of appealing to some pretty base instincts.
Well, you'd know better than I, since you live right in the midst of it. But, from my perspective, reading the news reports and such, I did not get any whiff of xenophobia or racism from the Leave camp, although I was well aware of the accusations thereof.

There are different, sort of ,definitions of what constitutes xenophobia and racism (speaking from an American perspective here). Sometimes when I hear some faction or another upset about some sort of racism they see, I look at the situation and can't for the life of me figure out what they're suggesting is racist. Sometimes, just being "anti-immigration" or even just "anti-illegal-immigration" is declared racist. Often, it's a function of one faction basically discerning a hidden meaning or agenda - knowing what someone really means -- then you hear claims that some non-racist statement is really a "dog whistle" and everyone really knows what the person means, nudge nudge wink wink.
Rum wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:04 pm

The truth of the matter is that nobody knew what the vote really meant. Even now ‘leave’ and its consequences aren’t clear. Imagine the complexity of one of your larger American states leaving the Union. Europe might not be quite as integrated as the US but it gives a flavour of the unravelling that will be required.

Prior to the referendum people were making it up as they went along.
Sounds like people weren't being very nice. :D
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:27 pm

The Leave campaign did tap into genuine and non racist (I would say) concerns about immigration. There’s no doubt the complexion of many British towns changed with the arrival of people from places like Poland and other countries and many people felt they had not had a say in the way the country was going. The issue of pressure on public services as a result, was perfectly justified, at least in some cases.

However the middling to far right jumped on the bandwagon and exploited the situation for its own ends. UKIP ultimately became a party of racism for example. Racist and ‘hate’ attacks increased and so forth.

The ‘fear of the stranger’ was without doubt exploited.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:29 pm

Forty Two wrote:I think there are certainly arguments to be made on both sides of the Brexit debate.

There is some fear-mongering among the anti-Brexiter forces, though, that raise a red flag for me. It's gloom and disaster predictions, and used car salesman tactics (better sign here, this deal won't be available tomorrow).

There was a lot of fear-mongering among the Brexiteer forces before the referendum, though, that raised a red flag for me.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Government Brexit deal defeated by 240 votes.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:45 pm

Labour to table a motion of no confidence in the government.

Frank Zappa

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:37 pm
Commie Corbyn has noted that he introducing a no-confidence motion shortly. If that passes, then the government has like 14 days to do something - pass a motion or something of some sort. If they can't, then does that trigger an election to shuffle the deck?

Ugh, I've seen a couple articles noting Corbyn is a front runner among the bookies, to wind up at No. 10.

Say it ain't so!
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Yep. Nationalise the NHS and kick out US corporate influence, Nationalise the rail system. Nationalise the Utilities. Replace the lost staff in the police and security services. Claw back unpaid tax in Tax havens (the hidden Magic Money Tree).

In short try to undo the damage caused by so-called 'Austerity' due to the Wall St. financial fiddlings in 2008.
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 pm

42 you hardly understand US politics now fuck off out of Europe's. It is far too high brow for you.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:37 pm
Commie Corbyn has noted that he introducing a no-confidence motion shortly. If that passes, then the government has like 14 days to do something - pass a motion or something of some sort. If they can't, then does that trigger an election to shuffle the deck?

Ugh, I've seen a couple articles noting Corbyn is a front runner among the bookies, to wind up at No. 10.

Say it ain't so!
It’s a very intricate dance. The vote of no confidence is very unlikely to get a majority (the maffs tells us this). But Corbyn can then 1. Call for an election and 2. Float a second referendum as a policy.

You understand uk politics rather better than the average Dutch Scotsman understands US politics incidentally.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:31 pm

.... which isn't saying much,... when I read about the political machinery, I always feel as if there is something unstated or assumed that I'm supposed to know without being told. I find that to be uniquely British, in general... lol :D

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:35 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:46 pm
42 you hardly understand US politics now fuck off out of Europe's. It is far too high brow for you.

Oh, Dutchy. You're the kind of person who imagines himself while masturbating, aren't you? :hilarious:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:08 pm

Settle down ladies. :tea:

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:31 pm

I'm supposing that the EU will not budge an inch if May wants a changed deal in the next few days to put to Parliament...

Or have I got the impression of a more rigid EU than the reality via Scot?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:32 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:08 pm
Settle down ladies. :tea:
That is soooooooooooooooo sexist! :hehe:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:33 pm

I'm sure Brian actually meant laddies... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!