Bloody Remoaner!
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:17 pm

David Frost says EU close to breaching Brexit deal over science programme
Minister ‘quite concerned’ about delay to finalising UK’s participation in €80bn Horizon Europe scheme

A fresh Brexit row has been blown open with Brussels after David Frost accused the EU of being close to breaching the trade deal struck last Christmas.

He said the UK was “getting quite concerned” about Brussels delaying ratification of the UK’s participation in the €80bn (£67bn) Horizon Europe research programme, costing British scientists their place in pan-European research programmes.

Lord Frost said the UK had “not made a great deal of this” but patience was running out.

“It’s not a very happy place,” he said. “We are getting quite concerned about this actually. There is an obligation in article 710 of the trade and cooperation agreement to finalise our participation. It uses the word ‘shall’. It is an obligation. It would obviously be a breach of the treaty if the EU doesn’t deliver on this obligation.”

The UK committed to gross funding of £2bn a year to the programme last December but this is not now being paid in as British scientists cannot be formal participants in the programme despite historically leading on many projects.

Earlier on Monday the House of Commons European scrutiny committee suggested the delay in ratifying this part of the trade deal was punishment for the row over the Northern Ireland protocol.

It came as Germany’s ambassador to London, Andreas Michaelis, warned that Berlin would lose trust in the UK if its negotiators rejected a role for the European court of justice in arbitrating the Northern Ireland protocol.

He said Germany had invested a great deal of political capital in persuading the European Commission to change its approach to the protocol and the outcome was “the maximum flexible interpretation of an agreement we have signed on the European side”.
Of course it is. :biggrin: Come on Frosty you cant get it all ways. Chumocracy arrogance.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:19 am

Frost is almost completely disingenuous, shifting the burden to the EU on the Horizon aspect while publicly declaring that the UK govt can cherry pick whatever it likes from the ratified agreement and threatening to pass domestic legislation to exempt itself from the parts it doesn't like.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:33 am

What does a stream of raw sewage symbolise? Broken Brexit promises, for one
Zoe Williams wrote:A Lords amendment sought to stop water companies dumping raw sewage – and 265 Tories voted against it. This faecal matter has become a powerful symbol of modern Britain

I remember the good ol’ days, when we weren’t always lurching from one crisis to another and we had time to wonder why the EU’s clean-beach legislation hadn’t done more for its popularity. Maybe people just didn’t care about sewage, one way or the other?

That was possibly the working assumption of Conservative MPs, who are now experiencing mounting unease – lobby-speak for freaking the hell out – over the environment bill that is ping-ponging through parliament. It’s a rangy piece of legislation, of which the faeces element is only a small part. A Lords amendment sought to put a duty on water companies not to dump raw sewage into the waterways – and 265 Tories voted against it. The website Evolve Politics published the list in full and thus crashed itself, so urgent was public interest in the names. Querulous Tories are taking to Twitter crying fake news, puzzled by the strength of public feeling.

I think I can help, here, with a little explainer. Sewage has become a powerful symbol of a number of things at once. First, all those Brexit promises – that nothing would change, except to improve; that our environmental protections without the EU would be, if anything, better. The boot is on the other foot in this rift that won’t heal – it used to be remainers making detailed, boring, practical arguments, while Brexiters sang their full-throated freedom shanties. Now, it’s leavers trying to make the case for complexity – “We think you’ll find this is actually about heavy rainfall and Victorian sewerage” – while remainers are making the simple, emotional case: “Things used to be better and now they’re shit.”
Chumocracy shit.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:48 am

Shitocracy!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:43 pm

:rimshot:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:42 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:48 am
Shitocracy!
It's been the way england has been governed since 1688, plus the 1648-1659 period. at the bare minimum,
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:57 am

Chumocracy the Brexiteers are protecting.

blindfaith

Post by blindfaith » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:32 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:57 am
Chumocracy the Brexiteers are protecting.

are you saying that dutch tax havens are'nt the best tax havens?

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:48 pm

Which tax haven is that?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:42 pm

I'd say either the Bahamas or the British Virgin islands
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:47 pm

BVi is nicer. Good memories.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:01 am

Now it’s official: Brexit will damage the economy long into the future
Jonathan Portes wrote:The Covid threat to GDP is waning, but don’t expect the pain wrought by leaving the EU to subside any time soon

We’re used to hearing apocalyptic descriptions of the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on the UK economy: “the largest fall in economic output since 1709”, was the Office for National Statistics’ verdict eight months ago.

Yet the Office for Budget Responsibility, in its report on Wednesday’s budget, estimates that the long-term impact of Brexit will be more than twice as great as Covid. It thinks that Brexit will reduce UK productivity, and hence GDP per capita, by 4%, while the impact of Covid on GDP will only be 2%, with a slightly smaller impact on GDP per capita.

This shouldn’t be surprising. The fall in output in 2020 was both inevitable and desirable – it was not, in economic terms, that different from an extended holiday. Just like a holiday, we chose to shut down large parts of the economy. The difference was that it was by necessity – to save lives – rather than by choice, but the consequences aren’t that different. The economy shrank, and by a lot.

Holidays don’t reduce the productive capacity of the economy. If a factory shuts down for a month, the machines are still there when it reopens. Similarly, when workers return, they still know how to do their jobs. The virus does not destroy factories, roads, buildings or software and, while its human toll has been dreadful, the impact on the size or composition of the working-age population will be relatively small in macroeconomic terms.

So the worry was not the huge short-term fall in GDP. It was that temporary closures would do permanent damage to the economy. The biggest risk was that, as in the 1980s, we allowed mass unemployment to become entrenched, or viable businesses to go bust.

But, thanks to the furlough scheme and other business support measures, we seem to have avoided that risk in the UK and elsewhere. Indeed, US GDP – boosted by Joe Biden’s stimulus package – has already exceeded its pre-crisis level. The UK is not that far behind, albeit still well below the pre-crisis trend.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:08 am

Brexit is harming the UK economy, say 44% of voters
Poll also shows that more than half believe it is affecting shop prices, as experts forecast it is likely to be twice as costly as Covid

Almost twice as many voters now believe Brexit is having a negative effect on the UK economy as think it is benefiting the nation’s finances, according to the latest Opinium poll for the Observer, carried out during budget week.

The survey comes after Richard Hughes, the chairman of the Office for Budget Responsibility, said his organisation calculated that the negative impact on GDP caused by the UK’s exit from the EU was expected to be twice as great as that resulting from the pandemic.

Hughes said Brexit would reduce the UK’s potential GDP by about 4% in the long term, while the pandemic would cut it “by a further 2%”. “In the long term, it is the case that Brexit has a bigger impact than the pandemic,” he said.