BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:17 pm

If the future is 1946 and the Tories won the general election.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:54 pm

That actually would be a disaster for Europe and probably had lead to a further war. It was a moment of sanity.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:18 pm

Never mind Boris. Never acted fast enough. Saves the chlorinated chicken.

Britain’s hopes of early post-Brexit trade deal with US appear dashed
Little likelihood of progress on free-trade agreement as Biden focuses attention elsewhere, say insiders

Britain’s hopes of a post-Brexit trade deal with the US have all but evaporated barring a dramatic change of heart from Joe Biden, it emerged on Tuesday as Boris Johnson held face-to-face talks in the White House.

Johnson once regarded a bilateral free trade agreement with the US as a key Brexit win, highlighting the prospects for British exporters unfettered from the EU. But government insiders privately concede that they see little prospect of progress towards a one-to-one deal, as the Biden administration focuses on other priorities.

When Johnson was asked on Tuesday whether he still hoped to strike a free-trade agreement with the US by the time of the next general election, opening the way to lower tariffs and a closer economic relationship, he said “we’re going as fast as we can”, but declined to confirm whether it could be achieved before 2024.

When the US president was asked about the prospects of a deal as the pair met in the Oval Office, he said: “We’re going to talk about trade a little bit today, and we’re going to have to work that through.”

The UK is now understood to be considering alternative options, including seeking to join the US-Canada-Mexico trade deal instead of striking a bilateral agreement with Washington.

A senior government source said: “There are a variety of different ways to do this. The question is whether the US administration is ready. The ball is in the US’s court. It takes two to tango.”
Yeah that special relationship is not worth much.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:19 am

It seemed so easy when Trump was in charge. All you had to do was let him build a couple of golg courses and he'd roll over like a puppy. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:57 am

I've never played golg, Brian. Is it a fun game? :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:13 am

Some enjoy it. You thwack a kitten up a tree with a cricket bat, scoring points based on how high you hit it and whether it sticks or not.

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:48 am

:lol:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:07 pm

Johnson’s claim Dutch PM offered to mediate in Brexit row not true, say sources
Insiders reject inference of division among EU members on Northern Ireland issue

Boris Johnson has walked into a diplomatic row with one of the UK’s closest allies after claiming the prime minister of the Netherlands had been seeking to “mediate” between Brussels and London over the post-Brexit arrangements for Northern Ireland.

Speaking to reporters on a plane to New York for a meeting of the UN general assembly, the prime minister suggested the Dutch government was looking to act as a mediator between the European Commission and London on the differences that have arisen in recent months.

“I talked to Mark Rutte [the Dutch PM] the other night, who wanted to come and see if he could mediate on the issue and I said, you know, we really want to make progress,” Johnson had said. “We seek a solution, but it has to be one that allows the free movement of goods between all parts of our country.”

Dutch diplomatic sources expressed surprise at the prime minister’s comments, insisting that Rutte had instead specifically urged Johnson to be pragmatic in his dealings with the European Commission.
Mark Rutte is not PM. He is the decommissioned PM. A big difference.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:29 am

Calling a spade a spade is virtually impossible in the UK.

The cause of our food and petrol shortages is Brexit – yet no one dares name it
Jonathan Freedland wrote:The government is failing to ensure we can get basic goods but the opposition is still wary of blaming Johnson’s botched deal

It has become the Voldemort of British politics, the word few in government or opposition will breathe out loud. Once repeated with numbing frequency, it is now the cause that dare not speak its name. I’m talking about Brexit – there, I said it – and when I say “cause”, I’m not describing it as a righteous mission: I mean Brexit as a central explanation for the multiple crises currently afflicting us.

Cast your mind back to the major shortage before the other two major shortages, the one that was making headlines before the lack of petrol to run our cars or the dearth of domestic gas to heat our homes: namely, the shortage of CO2, used for fizzy drinks, in meat production and to keep food fresh. Can you guess which part of the UK was blissfully unaffected by that problem? Open a can of pop if you said Northern Ireland, and treat yourself to another if you knew the reason why: because Northern Ireland remains part of the single market for goods, which means its bottling plants could get their carbon dioxide supplies from continental Europe. The rest of the UK had no such luck, with the government forced to pay an undisclosed but doubtless hefty chunk of our money to a US company to keep two CO2 plants open, because … Brexit.

It’s the common thread that runs through crisis after crisis. Of course, it’s not the sole explanation. Britain would have been more exposed than our continental neighbours to the gas shortage even if we’d stayed in the EU, thanks to a policy decision to hold much smaller reserves. You can put that one down to government incompetence rather than Brexit.

But too many of our other woes can be traced back to that fateful decision and the way it was handled. The empty supermarket shelves, like the pubs running low on beer, are the result of “supply chain issues”. In other words, a shortage of lorry drivers.
I found this reader's comment interesting:
SmallSoldier wrote:Unlike you, British pro-Europeans have had to think hard about what rejoining the EU would require. It’s not enough to get a majority in favour for rejoining. The EU’s real requirements have changed since 1973, and the events of the last decade have laid bare the weaknesses of England’s political institutions.

The UK cannot reenter the EU without establishing a representative democracy in line with current European norms. What was good enough to stay in is not good enough to rejoin. That will require an effective constitutional framework, inevitably a written constitution. It will need to be a democratic constitution - no House of Lords, no substantive powers for the monarch, the Prime Minister answerable to Parliament. It would inevitably need a representative Parliament - that is, proportional to votes, not solely first past the post. It would need an independent judiciary - no more traitors to the people. It would need an effective free press - no more traitors to the people, stacking the board of the BBC and restricting press ownership to foreign oligarchs.

In other words, a much bigger challenge that campaigning to join the EU as if leaving was just a minor temporary misunderstanding. And that is before accepting the loss of all opt outs and other favourable treatment. The social chapter, the euro and Schengen. (Ironically, the loss of the contribution rebate might be the trigger for EU financial reform, rather than a further burden on the UK). Most remainers just don’t have the energy to argue for this, not least given how far rational argument got us during the last ten years.

Some of us have the option of switching our position on Scottish independence from no way no to hell yes bring it on right now. Interesting times for little England
Re-entry will be a problem next year.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:34 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:07 pm
Mark Rutte is not PM. He is the decommissioned PM. A big difference.
Absolute data says NO.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:07 pm

Unsupported claim. Read Dutch political law about the difference in power and position. This decommissioned cabinet is almost dead.The Tweedekamer has taken over power. We had our Budget Day on Tuesday. The budget has been rewritten by the Tweedekamer. Nothing is above the Tweedekamer as it has absolute power.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:26 am

European lorry drivers ‘will not want to come to UK’, warn haulage chiefs
Emergency visa plan will not resolve Britain’s road transport crisis, says industry as majority blame Brexit in poll

The government’s emergency programme to issue temporary visas to thousands of lorry drivers is far too little to resolve Britain’s supply-chain crisis and is unlikely to attract them to the UK, haulage chiefs have warned.

Downing Street on Saturday night confirmed hastily compiled plans to add 5,000 HGV drivers and 5,500 poultry workers to a visa scheme until Christmas, to help the food and fuel industries with shortages.

However, even as the plans were formally announced, Marco Digioia, the head of the European Road Haulers Association which represents more than 200,000 trucking companies across the continent, told the Observer that “much more would be needed” than a temporary relaxation of immigration rules. “There is a driver shortage across Europe,” he said. “I am not sure how many would want to go to the UK.”

Andrew Opie, from the British Retail Consortium, said the 5,000 limit would “do little to alleviate the current shortfall”.

The criticisms emerged as the supply-chain crisis spread:

Ambulance and care workers have been affected by queues for petrol, following reports that some forecourts have not received expected petrol deliveries.

There were warnings that as many as one in five deliveries may not be reaching major supermarket chains on time or at all.

Polling suggested that a majority of voters, including 52% of Leave voters, believed Brexit was partly to blame for the crisis.

Digioia said European driver salaries were generally higher than in Britain; new EU rules had improved working conditions; and billions of euros had been offered to fund parking areas and support companies.

“The UK doesn’t have access to any of that,” he said. “Tempting European drivers back to the UK when they also have to face the reality of customs and border checks, all the uncertainties of Brexit … We have to be realistic.”

Two thirds (67%) of voters believe the government has handled the crisis badly, according to a new Opinium poll for the Observer. Even a majority of Conservative voters (59%) thought that the government had responded badly. The majority (68%) said Brexit was partly to blame, including 88% of Remain voters and 52% of Leave voters.
Do they really think the UK is that attractive? What a delusion. Any country in Europe is more attractive just for being in Europe.
Last edited by Scot Dutchy on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:28 am

Hahahaha British people are going to die this Christmas.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:35 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:07 pm
Unsupported claim. Read Dutch political law about the difference in power and position. This decommissioned cabinet is almost dead.The Tweedekamer has taken over power. We had our Budget Day on Tuesday. The budget has been rewritten by the Tweedekamer. Nothing is above the Tweedekamer as it has absolute power.
:yawn:
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:40 pm

Unsupported claim.