BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Animavore » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:33 pm

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Post by rainbow » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:36 am

It started to rain, and the Scotsman said "let's go back in for a wee dram, until the weather clears'. The Irishman said "that's not a bad idea, at all, at all".

The Englishman said "No, I've already decided to leave."
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

rainbow

Re: New Brexit Referendum

Post by rainbow » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:38 am

The only way out is for the EU to offer a delay on article 50, subject to a new referendum.
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: New Brexit Referendum

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:08 am

EU will not do it. Brexit is over for them. They made a deal and it is take it or leave it. It has already cost too much money and time. The EU countries affected will supported both financially and politically but no renegotiations.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Hard Brexit or Hard Brexit

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:09 am

And stands outside by himself in the rain.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 am

Guardian: Corbyn to table no confidence motion almost immediately if May loses Brexit vote
Jeremy Corbyn will table a motion of no confidence in the government almost immediately if Theresa May loses the Brexit vote next week, Labour is now saying.

This is what Barry Gardiner, the shadow international trade secretary, told the Today programme this morning.

"We’re now talking as if it is expected that the government next Tuesday will be defeated on the most important piece of legislation that has come before parliament probably in 50 or more years, that the government has devoted two years of its time to try to negotiate, and we’re now almost accepting that this will simply be defeated and voted down.

Obviously, the next thing to do immediately after that is for there to be a vote of confidence in the government."

Until now Labour has been rather coy about exactly when it might table a no confidence motion, with senior figures saying it is important to wait until the moment when they judge they have the best chance of winning. After Gardiner’s interview one senior party source played down the idea that Gardiner was making a firm statement about a possible no confidence vote next week.

But on Sky’s All Out Politics after 9pm Andrew Gwynne, the shadow communities secretary and Labour’s co-national campaigner coordinator, also said that Labour would table a no confidence motion soon after the Tuesday Brexit vote if Theresa May loses. Asked if he could “guarantee” that Labour would table a no confidence motion in those circumstances, he replied:

"Well, we want a general election. And the only way you can get a general election under the Fixed-term Parliaments Act is to table a vote of confidence."

When asked if he could guarantee this would happen, Gwynne said:

"In the event of Theresa May failing to get her deal through, we will be calling for a general election. And to do that, you have to table a motion of confidence."

Sky’s Adam Boulton asked if that meant a confidence vote would come “next week, basically” if May lost the vote. Gwynne replied: “Absolutely.”
The peppering of the media with policy shifts and initiatives over the last two weeks suggest they government has been preparing for the possibility of an election before B-Day.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:55 am

I think we should stay in the EU, then build up a fleet of Gunboats to protect our borders... :prof:

:whistle:
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:06 pm

Alan B wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:55 am
I think we should stay in the EU, then build up a fleet of Gunboats to protect our borders... :prof:

:whistle:
Well maybe a rubber duck.
:thinks: Maybe if the contract is vague enough you could win this one?

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/seaborn ... -contract/
BArF−4

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Who cares? Stay? Go? It makes no difference.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Well a EU with the UK in it would be better positioned to take on the global role that the US is apparently set on abandoning. So... it does matter.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:03 pm

The Times
France and Germany join forces as a single superpower
France and Germany are to forge shared defence, foreign and economic policies in an unprecedented “twinning” arrangement regarded as a prototype for the future of the European Union.
Since we are leaving there's no point in asking us to join...

We'll just hang around and become lackies of the US.

I remember in the 1950s the headline in Die Welt imploring that the UK should become part of Europe. That was when we had an Army, Navy & Air force of some size and living off the remnants of an empire.
And now? We have to employ a pizza delivery company (with no boats) to patrol our waters to stop illegal immigrants because we don't have enough boats to back-up our fake image of 'Great' Britain.

Successive governments have made us a laughing stock and a centre for money laundering and tax evasion.

:banghead:
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:49 pm

What happens when May loses her vote?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:20 pm

the brits will either learn to swim in their own shit of sink to the bottom of their own cess pool
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:43 pm

Alan B wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:03 pm
The Times
France and Germany join forces as a single superpower
France and Germany are to forge shared defence, foreign and economic policies in an unprecedented “twinning” arrangement regarded as a prototype for the future of the European Union.
Since we are leaving there's no point in asking us to join...

We'll just hang around and become lackies of the US.

I remember in the 1950s the headline in Die Welt imploring that the UK should become part of Europe. That was when we had an Army, Navy & Air force of some size and living off the remnants of an empire.
And now? We have to employ a pizza delivery company (with no boats) to patrol our waters to stop illegal immigrants because we don't have enough boats to back-up our fake image of 'Great' Britain.

Successive governments have made us a laughing stock and a centre for money laundering and tax evasion.

:banghead:
You're just going to have to change your name to "Mediocre Britain."
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:44 pm

Jason wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:32 pm
Well a EU with the UK in it would be better positioned to take on the global role that the US is apparently set on abandoning. So... it does matter.
Why? According to the continentals here, the UK is a substandard drag on the continent. They'd be better off without the UK-ers anyway, no? What do they need the UK for? It's army?