BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:21 am

Cummings is playing the part of Her Majesties Loyal Opposition at the moment. He was all over the TV on Monday talking about how Boris thought killing off the over 80s was a better option than a lockdown, and surprisingly the right-leaning press suddenly found lots of other things to talk about instead.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:04 am

Well Labour are doing bugger all. They are trying to fight their way out of a paper bag.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:56 pm

Brexit: Von der Leyen rejects Boris Johnson bid to renegotiate Irish protocol
EU has already proposed changes to lessen impact on Northern Irish citizens, say officials

The president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, has rejected Boris Johnson’s move to renegotiate the Northern Irish protocol, raising the temperature of a simmering Brexit row.

“The EU will continue to be creative and flexible within the protocol framework. But we will not renegotiate,” she said after a call with the prime minister on Thursday.

EU sources said the call lasted about 30 minutes, and Von der Leyen made clear they spoke at Johnson’s request.

While not a surprise, her refusal – less than 24 hours after the government set out a plan to renegotiate a core part of the Brexit deal – is a blow to Johnson, who made repeated false claims that there would be no customs checks between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The EU has united against the UK blueprint to rewrite the Northern Irish protocol, a hard-fought agreement with Johnson in 2019 that created a customs border in the Irish Sea.

A #Brexit reminder: The Northern Ireland Protocol was negotiated by the 🇬🇧 government. It was signed by the 🇬🇧 government. It was ratified by the 🇬🇧 Parliament. Its consequences were known.

Is it too much to expect the 🇬🇧 to stand by what it has negotiated, signed and ratified?
— Sebastian Fischer (@SFischer_EU) July 21, 2021
Poor old Boris.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:27 pm

Who will check that there are custom checks?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:28 am

Who checks the checkers at Chequers?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:03 pm

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:06 pm

I usually rather say istos custodes

for obvious reasons
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:10 pm

EU citizens who applied to stay in Britain facing threat of deportation
The Home Office appears to be in breach of the Brexit withdrawal agreement, says legal charity

European citizens who have applied for settled status are being detained and threatened with deportation, a development that contradicts assurances from ministers and appears to contravene the Brexit withdrawal agreement.

The Home Office has served EU nationals with removal directions even though they could prove they had applied for settled status, which should protect their rights to remain in the UK.

Ministers have repeatedly promised that anyone who had applied by the 30 June deadline would have their existing rights protected while their case was heard.

The apparent failure to honour that agreement has prompted accusations of either “administrative incompetence” by Home Office officials or a “wilful” attempt to deport as many EU nationals as possible on the assumption they are easier to remove, for instance, than asylum seekers.
Surprised. Chumocracy.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:39 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:03 pm
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Boris est bigus dickus
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:23 pm

Boris dickum minimum habet.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:59 pm

Bexitarians don't like that Brexit means Brexit!

You gotta laugh Image

Frank Zappa

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:30 pm

"Spite and divisiveness", eh? :bored:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:22 pm

O man, that was hilarious. How dare the European Union treat the UK as if it had decided to leave the European Union? Being treated like all the other non-member nations is an outrage! No Brexiteer expected this to happen. At least not Carol Karen Malone. She really ought to demand to see the manager.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:22 pm

:lol:

Brexiteers were always about gain without pain. They are going to realise that they have been fucked just so that a group can keep their precious off shore accounts.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:57 am

Another little expense:

Vodafone to reintroduce roaming fees for UK customers in Europe
Provider joins EE in bringing back charges for people to use their phone in mainland Europe from next year

Vodafone is to reintroduce charges for UK customers who use their phones in mainland Europe, despite Britain’s biggest mobile companies previously saying that they would not bring back roaming costs after Brexit.

Vodafone said new customers and those upgrading will have to pay up to £2 a day to use their monthly allowance of data, calls and text messages in the rest of Europe.

The company, which is following in the footsteps of BT-owned EE after it made a similar announcement in June, said the charges would come into force from next year.

“Any reintroduction of roaming charges means that consumers are paying a fee to use data and minutes they have already paid for,” said Ernest Doku, mobile expert at Uswitch.com. “It’s disappointing for consumers, with a risk that roaming at no additional cost could soon be a distant memory for UK residents. Always use hotel and cafe wifi when on holiday where possible.”

O2 has said it will impose an extra “fair use” charge if customers use more than 25GB of data in a month. Three has cut its fair-use data limit from 20GB a month to 12GB a month when in the rest of Europe, with a £3 charge per extra gigabyte if customers need to use more data.