BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Svartalf » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:26 am

That stat table is obviously rigged, the places held by Singapore, Switzerland, Luxemburg and the UK (Isle of Man and Channel islands in particular) in tax evasion schemes from all over the world, shows clearly that those places are a lot more corrupt than the measure applied pretends to show.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:29 am

They are not corrupt just have different banking rules. Nobody takes a cut for personal gain.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:36 am

Stats are exceedingly slippery and as someone who had to gather and collate a great many in my last job I can tell you I learnt to deeply mistrust them.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Rum wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:36 am
Stats are exceedingly slippery and as someone who had to gather and collate a great many in my last job I can tell you I learnt to deeply mistrust them.
63% are made up, according to the experts.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:19 pm

7EC3C0CF-F335-46E7-A2EB-C7CE98FF1F9C.jpeg

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:21 pm

The IMF, as the international lender of last resort, has to have some footing by which to make its assessments. Their data might not be complete, and one may argue over whether this or that data-point should or shouldn't be included, but it is at least consistent in its methodologies.

There's an obvious flaw in an argument which proceeds upon the presumption that every statistical survey and/or comparision is flawed or corrupt, not least because it places one's own pronouncements on said statistics in the same category, that is: where does one gather the data to support one's own argument?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:38 pm

The ones that rank the US or the UK rather favorably as against the EU (well, the six or seven northwestern social democracies therein) are, of course, shoddy, ill-kept, and ill-conceived stats. Those that show certain northwestern European countries as the happiest, healthiest, most economically sound and productive nations on earth, are, of course, accurate beyond question.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:46 pm

rainbow wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:04 pm
Rum wrote:
Most of it is carried out by sampling and surveys. Then extrapolated. Only countries with a form of population registration have accurate data. At least they have a decent idea who lives in the country.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:59 pm

Thank God for the Dutch surveillance state.. :hehe:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:12 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:46 pm
rainbow wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:04 pm
Rum wrote:
Most of it is carried out by sampling and surveys. Then extrapolated. Only countries with a form of population registration have accurate data. At least they have a decent idea who lives in the country.
No matter how accurate the data, it is the way you manipulate it into statistics that matters.

If you choose your data carefully enough, you can prove almost anything.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:15 am

But if the data is publicly available it is hard to manipulate. "In the land of the blind one eye is king".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:39 am

Here’s a small example of how manipulating data can work from my last job.

Here in the UK every county (local authority) has a legal duty to provide a school place for a child. They have to be ‘on role’. This is actually quite difficult to achieve, especially for kids with behaviour issues who get expelled. As a result the numbers ‘off role’ became a performance indicator (where less us best).

The kids who get expelled should go to ‘alternative provision’, which most counties provide - I was line manager for the three in Cumbria.

Some cunning local authorities invented a ‘local authority register’, which they put their expelled kids on. No education at all - just ‘parked’ on paper and actually not legal but hey presto your performance indicator is at a stroke perfect.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:11 pm

The same was done with the UK unemployment figures. Look at the definition of unemployed and add to that the lack of knowledge of who lives where and you have a typical UK mess.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:29 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:11 pm
The same was done with the UK unemployment figures. Look at the definition of unemployed and add to that the lack of knowledge of who lives where and you have a typical UK mess.
The ‘same’. Explain further please. I’ve just spent 15 minutes looking at how the figures are calculated. Interesting.

The lack of knowledge of where people live is no bad thing in my view come to that. Big Brother stays at arms’ length - or just a tad further away than in places like Holland.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Rum wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:29 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:11 pm
The ‘same’. Explain further please. I’ve just spent 15 minutes looking at how the figures are calculated. Interesting.

The lack of knowledge of where people live is no bad thing in my view come to that. Big Brother stays at arms’ length - or just a tad further away than in places like Holland.
You really talk a load of guff. Little Englanders. Big Brother? Just because you live in a pig sty and anything better organised an that actually works you call Big Brother. Pathetic. So we all have to live with the massive administrative mess you call the "civil service". FFS. Your lot could not organise a piss up in a brewery. The whole Brexit fiasco has shown how totally disorganised your beloved country is.

Just for your info read this: https://fullfact.org/news/true-unemploy ... illion-uk/