BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:09 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:30 am
It's weird, though, that rather than "racist invective", the first example given was of Nigel Farage standing in front of a picture of an actual line of economic migrants trying to get into Europe....
It was a picture of Syrian and Kurdish refugees fleeing a war zone - an image that was singularly at odds with Farage's own claims about the poster, that it was intended to highlight the extend of migration into the UK from other EU countries. You'll notice there's not a single white face in the poster. Within an hour and a half of the poster being unveiled the MP Jo Cox was brutal murdered by a man shouting "Britain First" - the name, and slogan, of a now banned white supremacist group. It also had an uncanny resemblance to a piece of Nazi propaganda - a fact which you can verify for yourself if you so wish.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:08 pm

BTW we in Europe dont have an immigration problem. That is a populist/Trump/Arsewipe's opinion. We have one refugee centre open and like our prisons they have closed due to the lack of numbers which is something the USA can only dream about.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:07 pm

Never mind the hundreds who die in the Mediterranean trying to get here, eh?

Today the EU have stated directly that a ‘no deal’ exit will mean a hard border in Ireland. The twats who voted ‘leave’ didn’t seem particularly excercised about hat did they/

Given some splinter IRA group let off a bomb in Londonderry the other day,the lid of Pandora’s box creaks just a tad...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:57 pm

It's a shambles. Prevarication in itself can be quite a productive response to necessary task, but Mrs May seems to be embracing it as a political tactic, one that she hopes will ensure the government's deal is the last option on the table once the clock has run down. As far as I can tell, her offer to discuss and compromise with members of the opposition parties has only extended as far as expecting everyone she's spoken to to make concessions and accept the deal.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:09 pm

The Daily Mail is outraged by the ardent Brexitarian Sir James Dyson moving his company HQ from Malmesbury to Singapore.

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:11 pm

Rum wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:07 pm
Never mind the hundreds who die in the Mediterranean trying to get here, eh?

Today the EU have stated directly that a ‘no deal’ exit will mean a hard border in Ireland. The twats who voted ‘leave’ didn’t seem particularly excercised about hat did they/

Given some splinter IRA group let off a bomb in Londonderry the other day,the lid of Pandora’s box creaks just a tad...
How will the EU enforce that, particularly if the Irish authorities (who don't want a hard border either) quietly look the other way?

Goon squads of German paramilitaries?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:39 pm

Nobody has so far said and nobody actually wants it in any case, so I suspect it won’t happen. However in the unlikely event that no agreement concerning customs and duty (that’s what this is about) is reached there is an inescapable reality that goods moving back and forth will have to be tracked. Some wishful thinkers just say ‘technology’ will solve it, but I think that is fantasy myself.

And to state the obvious, if it needs to be, a border would be a disaster for the good Friday agreement and would almost certainly result in a return to violence from IRA style nasties and then of course the inevitable unionists.

Nationalism in all its fucking glory.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:07 am

There's only two solutions afaics. 1. A Trump-type wall between NI and Eire, or 2. Ever closer alignment on the island of Ireland between the North and the rest. An open border between the UK and the EU would be smugglers paradise in both directions.

When my father had his marine engineering business he had a contract to service a small Irish in-shore fishing fleet. The owner had a yard in the republic and a yard in just over the boarder in NI. This had the advantage of him getting support for his business from the EU and Ireland, and from the EU and the UK. He would land the catches from either yard on the side of the border that was paying the best price. I only mention this because it shows just how transparent movement and trade has been across the whole of Ireland. In theory, that kind of thing comes to an end on B-Day.

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:50 am

BUILD THAT WALL! BUILD THAT WALL!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:08 am

Ireland is an Island. You can easily navigate around any border...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:40 pm

Well the UK and NI is an Island - all continental land masses are. What's your point?

Frank Zappa

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:25 pm

Perhaps that it is easy for the IRA to sneak in on inflatable boats?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:27 pm

in waters as treacherous as the Irish sea?? c'mon, you're not serious... I guess the former members of the IRA are all too old for such shenanigans anyway, and I'm not sure there's enough hatred left around for a new wave of volunteers to revive the troubles.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Oh there’s plenty of hatred to go round I have no doubt. However there was always the suspicion that the Irish government supported the IRA, even if it was very much at arms length towards the end. I think those days are certainly over.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:37 pm

Violence is very hard to deal with when it becomes a way of life, and the language of sectarianism always requires the blame for one's own violence to be placed on the other lot. Nobody wants this in NI, but nobody seems particularly interested in trying to stop it either.

Frank Zappa