BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by rainbow » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:15 am

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:31 pm
How many English people do you know anyway? Are there enough in your milieu that not only are "most" of them nice and against Brexit, while the minority non-nice, pro-Brexiters are sufficient in number for you to make that generalization?
I travel to the UK on a regular basis for business and to attend conferences, plus I've got 20+ friends, and some family living there.

How many do you know?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:17 am

None. But he's watched Rumpole of The Bailey.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:26 am

I thought Berty Wooster.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:12 pm

Today there's a confidence vote in the government. It is indicative of the lack of ability of the government - or any politicians - to form any coherent approach to Brexit that yesterday the government lost a vote in Parliament on a Brexit plan by over two hundred votes and yet today they will almost certainly win the vote of confidence.

Strange - unique actually - times.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 pm

May says she is following god's will. I am not kidding. Any half decent politician would have resigned.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:59 pm

rainbow wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:15 am
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:31 pm
How many English people do you know anyway? Are there enough in your milieu that not only are "most" of them nice and against Brexit, while the minority non-nice, pro-Brexiters are sufficient in number for you to make that generalization?
I travel to the UK on a regular basis for business and to attend conferences, plus I've got 20+ friends, and some family living there.

How many do you know?
Not as many as that, but I'm not advancing a stereotype. You are.

I have a fair number of acquaintances (6 in my business, and 5 among my friends) who are Brits, and I regularly travel there, as well. I'd have to know someone pretty well to know their specific position on Brexit, their reasons therefore, and also whether or not they are generally a "nice person." People are complex, so to suggest that someone overall is "nice" or "not nice" is not particularly simple, and opinions vary. To extend that to say that more than half of those who voted in the Brexit referendum were "not nice" I'd really need a fairly sizeable sampling, and not just those I casually interacted with and even were friends with.

Of the 11 Brits I know - only 2 have said they supported Remain. All were, as far as I could see, nice people. But, again, I'm not extending a generalization and saying the Brexiters as a group are "nice." Or, that they are better in some way than Remainers. You're doing that, the other way 'round.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:17 am
.... he's watched Rumpole of The Bailey.
...indeed I have, and I've read every Rumpole book and story. Fantastic series. Mortimer was a fantastic writer, and the characters in the Rumpole stories are very entertaining.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:06 pm

Rum wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:12 pm
Today there's a confidence vote in the government. It is indicative of the lack of ability of the government - or any politicians - to form any coherent approach to Brexit that yesterday the government lost a vote in Parliament on a Brexit plan by over two hundred votes and yet today they will almost certainly win the vote of confidence.

So, to they publish the motion? I'd like to read it, but I haven't found it.

If it happens to pass, how soon will they have to call a new election? Is the procedure laid out anywhere, or is this a customary thing?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:32 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 pm
May says she is following god's will. I am not kidding. Any half decent politician would have resigned.
Where? That doesn’t sound like her at all.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:06 pm
Rum wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:12 pm

So, to they publish the motion? I'd like to read it, but I haven't found it.

If it happens to pass, how soon will they have to call a new election? Is the procedure laid out anywhere, or is this a customary thing?
The motion is very simple ‘that this House has lost confidence..’I haven’t seen it this time around but I recall several from over the decades and the wording is very simple and does not ever go into the reasons for the loss of confidence.

She ain’t going to lose it though. If she does the country will be in a worse position than it already is.

Edit: found it. Simply..

‘That this House has no confidence in HM Government'.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:43 pm

For some reason, some folks are saying that it means a new referendum is more likely than ever. I am not sure why that would be.

So, if she doesn't lose the confidence vote, then the government stays as is. Logically, I would think that Brexit could just occur without any "deal." No deal is necessary to exit, though. The UK could, as I see it, and I could be wrong, just proceed under WTO rules for now, and then go on to negotiate future multilateral and bilateral trade issues.

I guess they could do another referendum. But, I would think - speculate - that a second referendum on the same thing would not be good for the UK itself. The Leave camp would be rather miffed and they would describe it as democracy not being respected - they would bellow about how the Remain camp just want to keep voting until they win. The campaign for and against would be far more divisive and aggressive than the first go-round and it would work toward an intense polarization of the UK and start tearing it at the seams.

Oh, by the way, if the Tories win the confidence vote, then how long will it be before there is another general election in the normal course?

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:49 pm

Rum wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:32 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
She is a vicar's daughter and bloody religious. She thinks god is guiding her.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Americans never understand politics. Never mind the intricacies of the House of Commons.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:49 pm
Rum wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:32 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
She is a vicar's daughter and bloody religious. She thinks god is guiding her.
But she didn’t say she is following God’s will right? You made that up, right? Admit it.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:56 pm

Nope she said it on some religious programme. Why capitalise god? She is a religious nutter like Queen Liz. Old school c of e.