Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:00 pm

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Rum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:43 pm
For some reason, some folks are saying that it means a new referendum is more likely than ever. I am not sure why that would be.

So, if she doesn't lose the confidence vote, then the government stays as is. Logically, I would think that Brexit could just occur without any "deal." No deal is necessary to exit, though. The UK could, as I see it, and I could be wrong, just proceed under WTO rules for now, and then go on to negotiate future multilateral and bilateral trade issues.

I guess they could do another referendum. But, I would think - speculate - that a second referendum on the same thing would not be good for the UK itself. The Leave camp would be rather miffed and they would describe it as democracy not being respected - they would bellow about how the Remain camp just want to keep voting until they win. The campaign for and against would be far more divisive and aggressive than the first go-round and it would work toward an intense polarization of the UK and start tearing it at the seams.

Oh, by the way, if the Tories win the confidence vote, then how long will it be before there is another general election in the normal course?
I don’t think it makes another referendum more or less likely. People are speculating and positioning themselves. May has been firm on it so far and sees it as a betrayal of democracy, to use her words. Others say that the circumstances have changed and we all know what leave means now and did not before. I think another referendum is very unlikely but who knows. Strange times.

You are correct in your understanding about what happens in the event of ‘no deal’. The uk will revert to World Trade rules and we will ‘crash out’ in that there will be many (many) lose ends unresolved and trade with Europe will be, at least in the short term, nightmarish in its complexities.

If they do lose May would resign overnight and an election called for six weeks hence. As to the election cycle, we now have a five year fixed term government cycle by default unless the government of the day calls one early. So three years off yet.
Last edited by Rum on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:03 pm

As the child of a devout Protestant family, I find Theresa May's beliefs hard to swallow
Perhaps Theresa May believes that because 'the poor are blessed and in line to inherit the kingdom of God' (Luke 6:20), they can be trampled and degraded by Tory policy here on earth

In a rare interview with the Sunday Times, our Prime Minister Theresa May discussed her personal faith and the impact her beliefs have on the decisions she makes as a politician. May described herself as a “practising member of the Church of England” and said that her faith in God “lies behind what I do”.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Weaselling. Did you actually read that rubbish?

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:05 pm

For someone who cant understand Trump why in the hell is 42 trying to get his head around British politics?

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:07 pm

Rum wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:04 pm
Oh it is rubbish because it does not prove your point. What bit is weaselling?

She is a religious nutter.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:12 pm

I like British politics. I wouldn't ask you about it, though, because you confuse your self-righteous, judgmental bashing of the non-Dutch with knowledge and understanding.

I talk to Rum about it, because he actually knows a thing or two, and doesn't take inquiries and discussion about an issue to require insults and pissing contests.

One day, you'll realize that expressing scorn and derision is not the same thing as knowing something.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:07 pm
Rum wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:04 pm
Oh it is rubbish because it does not prove your point. What bit is weaselling?

She is a religious nutter.
What utter rubbish. The article you quote says she can’t be a real Christian because of the legislation she supports - that’s its whole point...doh..

Many people of faith lead perfectly rational and decent lives and I would never rule them out simply because of that. Or are you one of the new intolerant brand atheists. You probably hate people of religion as much as everything else come to think of it.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Cant you read? Comprehension problems.
May described herself as a “practising member of the Church of England” and said that her faith in God “lies behind what I do”.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:21 pm

A fucking nutter.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:22 pm

Who? You? :tut:

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Lost again. Never mind you might win sometimes.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:23 pm
Lost again. Never mind you might win sometimes.
Lol! I’d call for a poll if I didn’t already know the result.,

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:52 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:21 pm
Cant you read? Comprehension problems.
May described herself as a “practising member of the Church of England” and said that her faith in God “lies behind what I do”.
I'm a fairly rabid anti-theist, and an atheist. However, to say that one's faith in God "lies behind what I do" is a rather milquetoast, common statement by middle-of-the-road and liberal-leaning folks. It's something I'd expect to hear at a Unitarian-Universalist meeting house.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:43 pm

SD got a bit carried away there I think. He is more interested in convincing himself he’s won forum argument points than getting at the truth.

The fact is religion is still the default for many people - luckily fewer perhaps. To dismiss someone’s competence, good faith or sincerity by treating it as if they were anti-vaxers or holocaust deniers is simply not sensible.