BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Rum » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:01 pm

The shortages, if they should happen at all, are most likely to be in the fresh fruit and veg department, thousands of tons of which are shipped from Spain and France as autumn begins to bite in the UK.

There will of course be the inevitable horror stories. But pip pip and all that - we are British at the end of the day and a few aubergines missing from the salad aren’t going to soften that upper lip, what ho?!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:20 pm

Dig for Victory!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:45 am

Going to need a lot of bog roll if I'm going to be living on beans for the next year! :D
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:30 am

Collect the gas to heat your apartment in winter!
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:33 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:20 pm
Dig for Victory!
Fart for Farage!

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:42 am

It just gets more difficult:

Michel Barnier: no grounds for reopening Brexit talks
EU’s top negotiator tells MEPs Britain has not offered credible proposals for Irish border

Michel Barnier has told MEPs there remain insufficient grounds for reopening formal negotiations over the Irish backstop, six months after Theresa May and the European commission closed them.

In a private briefing with the European parliament’s leaders, the EU’s chief negotiator said Boris Johnson’s officials, led by his envoy, David Frost, were yet to offer any credible plan on which the two sides could build.

“We will see in the coming weeks if the British are able to make concrete proposals in writing that are legally operational,” Barnier told the MEPs. “While we have previously reached an agreement, as far as we can speak [today], we have no reason to be optimistic … I cannot tell you objectively whether contacts with the government of Mr Johnson will be able to reach an agreement by mid-October.”
On the home front Bercow is after Johnson.

John Bercow: I’ll stop Boris Johnson breaking the law on Brexit
Commons Speaker issues direct challenge to ministers threatening to ignore legislation

John Bercow has threatened Boris Johnson that he will be prepared to rip up the parliamentary rulebook to stop any illegal attempt by the prime minister to take the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 October.

In a direct warning to No 10, the Speaker of the House of Commons said he is prepared to allow “additional procedural creativity” if necessary to allow parliament to block Johnson from ignoring the law.

“If we come close to [Johnson ignoring the law], I would imagine parliament would want to cut off that possibility … Neither the limitations of the existing rulebook or ticking of the clock will stop it doing so,” he said, delivering the annual Bingham lecture in London. “If I have been remotely ambiguous so far, let me make myself crystal clear. The only form of Brexit that we have, whenever that might be, will be a Brexit that the House of Commons has explicitly endorsed.”
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 am

This plays nicely into Johnson's People vs Parliament narrative, and also favours the specific campaign to shift the balance of UK political power even further into the hands of the executive. What leavers weren't told is when they were voting to 'take back control' and to return sovereignty to the UK was that that control and sovereign power should only be taken by millionaires who wore top hats as part of their school uniform.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:11 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 am
This plays nicely into Johnson's People vs Parliament narrative, and also favours the specific campaign to shift the balance of UK political power even further into the hands of the executive. What leavers weren't told is when they were voting to 'take back control' and to return sovereignty to the UK was that that control and sovereign power should only be taken by millionaires who wore top hats as part of their school uniform.
Yes, but only half of the Poms are stupid enough to fall for it.

Are the other half happy to walk over the cliff with them?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:23 pm

There are no other options. Boris is doing his best to ensure we can’t even change governments with an election.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:01 pm

Britain today...

Cameron was only supposed to blow the bloody doors off.

Frank Zappa

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:39 pm

It's a clusterfuck, innit? We colonials always looked at you lot as the civilized ones, and now look at you. For shame.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:36 am

Amazing and who is surprised:

Cameron accuses Johnson and Gove of behaving appallingly over Brexit
Former PM tells Times he worries desperately about Britain’s future
Another no surprise:

No 10 plays down hopes of Brexit breakthrough
Downing Street has no plans to publish proposals despite chance of border compromise
Downing Street has played down the prospect of an early breakthrough in Brexit talks despite hopes of a compromise on the Irish backstop, as Boris Johnson prepares to meet the European commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker.

There has been a renewed drive in No 10 for an agreement since parliamentarians passed a law aimed at blocking a no-deal Brexit on 31 October and twice rejected Johnson’s demand for a snap general election.

However the government has no plans to publish any detailed written proposals as the prime minister seeks to avoid Theresa May’s fate of having her carefully constructed compromise shot down publicly by party colleagues.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:38 am

Cameron? :pot:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:47 am

Yep all part of the blaming game.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:31 am

Oh do fuck off Cameron.
“I think about this every day. Every single day I think about it, the referendum and the fact that we lost and the consequences and the things that could have been done differently, and I worry desperately about what is going to happen next...

... Asked if he found sleeping hard, he said: “I worry about it a lot. I worry about it a lot.”

Cameron said he had been under political pressure to hold a referendum in 2016 because there had been a series of treaties and the “issue was not going to go away”, adding he thought about it more than any other decision he made in government.
Well if that's an example of you doing some thinking then I can see why you'd usually leave that sort of thing to the help. How much thunking time do you put aside for the 3000+ disabled people who died within 6 months of having their benefits withdrawn? How much do you think about the estimated 130,000 extra deaths which the BMJ says Austerity has caused? You fucking piece of shit dead pig fucker.

.... and relax .... :levi:

Frank Zappa