BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:43 pm

In that unlikely scenario I think Boris' counsel would argue, with some justification, that the particular law applies to the office of PM and to the government and not to him personally. We don't do law that way in the UK. A law that only applied to one individual would be against our constitution...

... oh, hang on. What constitution?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:10 pm

Exactly! LOCK HIM UP!!!!
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:30 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:10 pm
Exactly! LOCK HIM UP!!!!
I would have thought you’d be fully behind Boris. He’s after getting us out ASAP after all. That’s what you want too isn’t’t It? In fact given your feelings about this country and how malicious they often seem to be, a crash out with no deal in place should be right up your street.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:39 pm

Once somebody makes a practice of indulging their malicious and vitriolic impulses, reason and consistency are out the window and rollicking over the horizon.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:17 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Exactly! LOCK HIM UP!!!!
:lol:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:58 am

Rum wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:30 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Exactly! LOCK HIM UP!!!!
I would have thought you’d be fully behind Boris. He’s after getting us out ASAP after all. That’s what you want too isn’t’t It? In fact given your feelings about this country and how malicious they often seem to be, a crash out with no deal in place should be right up your street.
Why? If the UK had stayed in and worked with the EU fine but the greed and arrogance took over. He is not getting you out that is the point. He is making things as worse as he can for the EU on the orders of the Orange Scrotum but I suppose in your blindness regarding me you are unable to see it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:05 am

Blindness regarding you?? There's never been a bigger anti-UK person on the internet.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:40 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:58 am
Rum wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Exactly! LOCK HIM UP!!!!
Why? If the UK had stayed in and worked with the EU fine but the greed and arrogance took over. He is not getting you out that is the point. He is making things as worse as he can for the EU on the orders of the Orange Scrotum but I suppose in your blindness regarding me you are unable to see it.
You are really getting quite incoherent. ‘Orders from the Orange Scrotum’ ffs. Your powers of reasoning sometimes appear to have deserted you.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:01 am

Amber Rudd, minister at the Dept of Work and Pensions (benefits and welfare), has resigned from her post and from the parliamentary Conservative party. In her resignation letter to Boris she said:
I joined your Cabinet in good faith; accepting that 'no deal' had to be on the table, because it was the means by which we would have the best chance of achieving a new deal to leave on October 31.

However, I no longer believe leaving with a deal is the Government's main objective.

The Government is expending a lot of energy to prepare for 'no deal' but I have not seen the same level of intensity go into our talks with the European Union, who have asked us to present alternative arrangements to the Irish backstop.

The updates I have been grateful to receive from your office have not, regretfully, provided me with the reassurances I sought.

I must also address the assault on decency and democracy that took place last week when you sacked 21 talented, loyal One Nation Conservatives.

This short-sighted culling of my colleagues has stripped the party of broad-minded and dedicated Conservative MPs I cannot support this act of political vandalism.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49623727
Apparently, the final straw was asking the PM's Office for a written update on the ongoing negotiations with the EU and receiving only a two-paragraph summary.

At the last election she had a majority of 322 from Labour.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:40 am

Rum wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:40 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:58 am
Rum wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Exactly! LOCK HIM UP!!!!
You are really getting quite incoherent. ‘Orders from the Orange Scrotum’ ffs. Your powers of reasoning sometimes appear to have deserted you.
Your blindness to facts as well as me is rapidly increasing. Who else is he working for? Not the people of the UK anyway. He will be given his American citizenship back shortly.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:54 am

Rightly or wrongly the country voted to leave. Boris came in like some prop-forwward in a rugby game it seems to me hoping to bash his way to the touch line and actually carry out the mandate. It proved harder than he could have anticipated it seems.

People know what he stands for and I suspect a large proportion of brexiteers support him.

I don’t. On the other hand if the process gets stalled we are back to where we were three years ago. I don’t think anyone wants that.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:07 am

Rum wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:54 am
Rightly or wrongly the country voted to leave.
...well 37% of the voters did.
Most voted to stay or abstained.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:08 am

rainbow wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:07 am
Rum wrote:
Rightly or wrongly the country voted to leave.
...well 37% of the voters did.
Most voted to stay or abstained.
Well that’s the way it works! No vote, no say!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:51 am

Rum wrote:
Rightly or wrongly the country voted to leave. Boris came in like some prop-forwward in a rugby game it seems to me hoping to bash his way to the touch line and actually carry out the mandate. It proved harder than he could have anticipated it seems.

People know what he stands for and I suspect a large proportion of brexiteers support him.

I don’t. On the other hand if the process gets stalled we are back to where we were three years ago. I don’t think anyone wants that.
Indeed. I think the only way forward now is a legally binding referendum with Remain vs May's deal on the ballot. I would like to see voting in this referendum made compulsory and also include everyone over the age of 16 and EU nationals with indefinite leave to remain - basically everybody with a stake in the decision.

A legally binding referendum would mean that the result would be enacted in law automatically on the final count - regardless of the outcome. At this point I think a majority of MPs would probably vote for this and it would mean that each political party could advocate the principle while setting their own agenda as far as which option they preferred and what they would do following the result one way or another.

This could be done before the Oct 31 deadline, but a brief extension to the Article 50 period could also allow this 2nd referendum to be held on the same day as a general election - preferably following a shortened campaign period. People could then vote for the party they felt had the best policies for each scenario.

Frank Zappa

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:01 am

2016 Referendum.xlsx
(11.81 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.