BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by JimC » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:57 pm

Clearly, the Dutch have the best ideas on how to deal with Brexit!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-15/ ... t/10814248
The Dutch Government has enlisted a new ally in its campaign to prepare businesses for the impending departure of Britain from the European Union — a hairy blue Brexit monster.

A tweet posted on the Netherlands Foreign Minister Stef Blok's official feed showed a Muppet-like monster, wearing a white T-shirt emblazoned with the word Brexit in red capital letters, lying across a desk.

The tweet has links to the Government's online Brexit portal and a Brexit Impact Scan that helps inform businesses about the possible consequences when Britain leaves the European Union on March 29.

"This is all to raise awareness," foreign ministry spokesperson Dirk-Jan Vermeij said.
:lol:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Did it have black-face?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:26 am

Clinton Huxley wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:56 pm
Hermit wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:51 pm
Clinton Huxley wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 pm
Svartalf wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:25 pm
yeah, the Italians are bothersome, but they are still EU members, ergo clashworthy, that tiny island in the north is beneath our notice.
I agree that you have finally found an opponent in the same league. The duration from the start of hostilities to the first surrender would be less than the Planck Time, hitherto thought impossible.
Remember Dunkirk? Had John Wayne not come to the UK's rescue and Stalin not destroyed 80% of the Wehrmacht, you'd be speaking German now.

France, of course, was exceedingly brave during the eight month Sitzkrieg, but it wasted no time capitulating after seven weeks of Blitzkrieg during which shots were actually fired at it, and the Lion of Verdun, Marshall Philippe Pétain turned out to be unstintingly cooperative with the Axis powers.
Nonsense. Dunkirk was a glorious victory with a cracking soundtrack.
Where have you been, old fruit?

You've been missed.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:10 pm

rainbow wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:26 am
Clinton Huxley wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:56 pm
Hermit wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:51 pm
Clinton Huxley wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:30 pm
Svartalf wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:25 pm
yeah, the Italians are bothersome, but they are still EU members, ergo clashworthy, that tiny island in the north is beneath our notice.
I agree that you have finally found an opponent in the same league. The duration from the start of hostilities to the first surrender would be less than the Planck Time, hitherto thought impossible.
Remember Dunkirk? Had John Wayne not come to the UK's rescue and Stalin not destroyed 80% of the Wehrmacht, you'd be speaking German now.

France, of course, was exceedingly brave during the eight month Sitzkrieg, but it wasted no time capitulating after seven weeks of Blitzkrieg during which shots were actually fired at it, and the Lion of Verdun, Marshall Philippe Pétain turned out to be unstintingly cooperative with the Axis powers.
Nonsense. Dunkirk was a glorious victory with a cracking soundtrack.
Where have you been, old fruit?

You've been missed.
Sticky problems in the back of beyond. All very hush-hush. Mum's the word, what what!
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:21 am

Severe case of Post Empire Syndrome. They find it difficult to believe all is lost. Except the Brexiteers of course who are laughing all the way to their tax havens.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:10 pm

Sticky problems in the back of beyond. All very hush-hush. Mum's the word, what what!
Stiff upper lip, old bean.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:21 am
Severe case of Post Empire Syndrome. They find it difficult to believe all is lost. Except the Brexiteers of course who are laughing all the way to their tax havens.
How dare you make these snide remarks!! Any more of this and I'll, I'll send a gunboat! So there!

Gawd Bless Queen Victoria and the British Raj! :prof:
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:24 pm

RULE BRITANNIA!!! Bless all those sailing on her even though they dont have a clue where.

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Blighty finding it difficult to accept when all is lost is what saved this rotten continent in World War 2.

Damned ungrateful foreign wretches. I wouldn't give you tuppence for the lot of 'em.
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Clinton Huxley wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:16 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Blighty finding it difficult to accept when all is lost is what saved this rotten continent in World War 2.

Damned ungrateful foreign wretches. I wouldn't give you tuppence for the lot of 'em.
Typical symptoms. You saved no one. It was the Soviets, Americans and Empire forces that saved Europe and the world and that is how long ago...

I would not give two cents for the UK now. Calling it a mess is a compliment. In 41 days the Brexiteers will run off with the household silver. They will be basking in their tax havens having a great laugh at the rest of the UK.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:51 pm

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:11 pm

Britain’s richest man, the Brexit supporter Sir Jim Ratcliffe, and two of his key lieutenants at chemicals firm Ineos have reportedly been planning to save up to £4bn in tax after moving to Monaco.

The company, which is valued at about £35bn, is working with tax experts at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) to create a new structure for the business to dramatically reduce the tax paid on its global revenues, according to the Sunday Times.

Ratcliffe, who has lobbied to weaken green taxes and reduce restrictions on fracking, owns 60% of Ineos, which made profits of more than £2.2bn last year and employs 18,500 people. His top two lieutenants at Ineos, Andy Currie and John Reece, each own 20% of the company worth £7bn and were also reported to be moving to Monaco and involved in the tax avoidance plan....

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... onaco-move
What a rat!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:17 pm

he sure is jumping ship
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:29 pm

You got it Svarty - you got it. :D
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:56 pm

With deadlock in Westminster over how to move forward with Brexit, what are the polls saying about people’s changing attitudes towards leaving the EU? The latest YouGov survey for the People’s Vote campaign contains three important messages.

1. Staying in the EU now holds a commanding lead over the government’s deal

Views of voters match those of MPs in rejecting Theresa May’s deal by almost two to one. And Conservative voters, like Conservative MPs, are divided, with half of them backing her deal and one in three opposed.

For most of this year, polls have shown remain ahead of leave, typically by four to six points. But in a referendum between staying in the EU and leaving on the terms that the government has negotiated, staying enjoys an 18-point lead: 59-41%.

Of the more than 17 million who voted leave in 2016, just 10 million people say they would vote for the government’s deal – 2 million would vote to stay, while 3 million are not sure or would not vote. In contrast, of the 16 million who voted remain in 2016, 13.5 million would still vote to stay in the EU. Only 1.4 million would vote for May’s deal, and 1 million are not sure or would not vote.

And pro-Europeans are significantly more enthusiastic than Brexiters. Counting only those who say they are certain to vote in a “no Brexit” v “May’s deal” referendum, staying in the EU currently leads by 63-37%. An 18-point lead among all voters therefore widens eight points, to 26%, among those certain to vote.

2. Millions of 2016’s leave voters have lost faith in Brexit’s ability to make life better

Few erstwhile leave voters now think Brexit will make life better. Three months ago, 43% of leave voters thought Brexit would make the economy stronger. Just 12% feared it would make the economy weaker. Today, only 24% of leave voters say “stronger”, while slightly more, 26%, say “weaker”. That’s a huge, 33-point drop for “stronger” in the net difference between the two views since the beginning of September. There have also been marked falls in leave voters’ optimism about people’s standard of living and the NHS. In all three cases, pro-Europeans’ views have changed little. They are just as pessimistic now as they were three months ago.

3. Labour could suffer badly if it ends up facilitating Brexit

Labour is seeking an early general election. YouGov asked people how they would vote if Labour, along with the Conservatives, supported going ahead with Brexit. Labour slumps to third place, with 22%, behind the Liberal Democrats, who would jump to 26%. Those who voted Labour last year and remain the year before say they are more likely to switch to the Liberal Democrats (49%) than stay with Labour (41%). The survey suggests no compensating boost among those who voted leave in the referendum. In fact, it would be the Conservatives who would benefit if both main parties backed Brexit. Their support among leave voters would rise from 62% to 69%. Labour support among leave voters would slip from 21% to 19%.

Moreover, most Labour leave voters who take sides back a people’s vote, by 56-44%. Again, the evidence suggests little downside to Labour backing a people’s vote. Indeed, among Labour supporters generally, such a vote is massively popular, with 77% in favour and just 23% against. A further challenge for Jeremy Corbyn is to persuade voters that he could get a better Brexit deal if he were prime minister. This claim is rejected by 68%-11% of voters generally, by 47%-30% of Labour voters, and – perhaps most ominously – by 52-23% of Labour leave voters.

A parallel question provides one fragment of relief for the prime minister, though a blow for the Brexit project generally. Just 18% of voters (and 20% of Conservatives) think a different leader could get a better Brexit deal – 60% of all voters (and 70% of Conservatives) disagree. All the signs are pointing to the public losing faith in Brexit fast. It’s clear we need a people’s vote....

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... oples-vote
[/quote]

Frank Zappa