BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:41 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:38 am
I'm not blaming you for anything, other than spamming the forum with your hate.
Who brings in the hate? You drip with it. If I spam according to you report me.

What do you know about Brexit? About as much as Vlad.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:08 am

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:37 am
That really is it - some people look at that and see xenophobia. Others see a need for border control. Nobody denies Europe has a migration problem. It's not "xenophobic," in my opinion, to be in favor of fixing that.
You claim to be a regular visitor to the UK, yet you believe there is no border control.

You are either delusional or lying.

Which is it?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 am

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:30 am
It's weird, though, that rather than "racist invective", the first example given was of Nigel Farage standing in front of a picture of an actual line of economic migrants trying to get into Europe....
Dog whistling is a wonderful thing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:03 am

Forty Two wrote:
That really is it - some people look at that and see xenophobia. Others see a need for border control. Nobody denies Europe has a migration problem. It's not "xenophobic," in my opinion, to be in favor of fixing that.
Europe has a migration problem. Too little immigration. (And too little effort on integration on all sides)

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:08 am

In my opinion, Brexit should not be stopped. If it is stopped, there will be centuries of people saying "Everything could be better in Britain with a Brexit. Why didn't we do it? ". Britain should exit the EU, see how they get along on their own and then in maybe 10 or 20 years rejoin without all the exemptions and discounts they had before.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:24 am

NineBerry wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:08 am
In my opinion, Brexit should not be stopped. If it is stopped, there will be centuries of people saying "Everything could be better in Britain with a Brexit. Why didn't we do it? ". Britain should exit the EU, see how they get along on their own and then in maybe 10 or 20 years rejoin without all the exemptions and discounts they had before.
We are British. Whatever the outcome people will complain and moan - it takes very little! The term 'whinging pom' didn't come from nowhere.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:50 am

NineBerry wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:03 am
Forty Two wrote:
Europe has a migration problem. Too little immigration. (And too little effort on integration on all sides)
Certainly an opinion you're entitled to. As is the reverse. Neither is per se racist or phobic.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:48 pm

NineBerry wrote:
I agree with you Nine. Once the rich Brexiteers have waddled off with their money there will be not much left.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Rum wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:24 am
NineBerry wrote:
We are British. Whatever the outcome people will complain and moan - it takes very little! The term 'whinging pom' didn't come from nowhere.
I cover whingeing pows in contempt, us French are the champions at whingeing, after the Jews.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Nah - we complain about the weather more or less non stop but as soon as it hits 20C all you hear is people complaining it is too hot!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:34 pm

touché, I need 30 to complain about the heat.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:36 pm

In Edinburgh anything above 18C is moaned about because the old dears have not taken off their winter coats.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:30 am
It's weird, though, that rather than "racist invective", the first example given was of Nigel Farage standing in front of a picture of an actual line of economic migrants trying to get into Europe....
They were refugees.

It was a disgusting, racist poster that even leading Brexiters were keen to distance themselves from.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:50 pm

I have no desire to defend Farage and his backward-looking xenophobia, but the poster in question just showed large numbers of people and the slogan was about taking back control from the EU. There was no real indication as to who they might be except that they looked vaguely middle eastern. Many people thought he was spreading fear about how many Turks would arrive when Turkey was admitted to the EU (something Farage played up but is of course a very dim and distant prospect).

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:59 pm

They were not economic immigrants either only a tiny minority. The photo was taken in Eastern Europe and were genuine refugees.
The Turks dont even have a snowballs chance in hell of ever making it into the EU. Even their present status is in doubt if they continue to persecute the Kurds.

We give Turks preferential treatment when they come here. The remains of the old "guest workers" agreement. This has been put under scrutiny.