BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by PsychoSerenity » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:36 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:29 am
Even with the LibDems he does not have enough votes and other parties are not willing to support him. Better to look for some one else who can. Corbyn is not attracting the rebel tory MP's and independents which is a vital requirement. I dont think you can get more than one bite at the cherry.
That's simply not true. SNP, Plaid, Green, independents and Tory rebels have publicly said they are open to it. It was just the Lib Dems that were holding out. Corbyn is Leader of the opposition, constitutionally he is the one that calls a vote of no confidence. Once that's passed there's 14 days to agree support for a new Government. Given that all the new government will do is ask for an extension to A50 to prevent No Deal at the end of October and call a general election, there's no reason at this point to suggest anyone other than Corbyn does the job.

The main reason the Lib Dem leadership have to object to Corbyn is not that he might not be successful, but rather if he succeeds in blocking No Deal Brexit and then campaigns in an election for a second referendum in all circumstances with an option to remain, as he has promised to do, why would anyone bother voting for the Lib Dems?
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:41 am

The EU won't give an extension. Scot told us so. Even though they've given a couple(?) already.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:43 am

What would happen to BoJo if the Tories suffered a no-confidence and Corbyn got to call a new election? Would the Tories keep BoJo as leader?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:47 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:41 am
The EU won't give an extension. Scot told us so. Even though they've given a couple(?) already.
Basically the EU has said this. The new leaders however have mentioned the possibility of an extension but the conditions attached have not been stated.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:49 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:43 am
What would happen to BoJo if the Tories suffered a no-confidence and Corbyn got to call a new election? Would the Tories keep BoJo as leader?
He is worth votes as a charismatic leader and up against Corbyn it would be difficult to see him losing.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:53 am

PsychoSerenity wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:36 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Even with the LibDems he does not have enough votes and other parties are not willing to support him. Better to look for some one else who can. Corbyn is not attracting the rebel tory MP's and independents which is a vital requirement. I dont think you can get more than one bite at the cherry.
That's simply not true. SNP, Plaid, Green, independents and Tory rebels have publicly said they are open to it. It was just the Lib Dems that were holding out. Corbyn is Leader of the opposition, constitutionally he is the one that calls a vote of no confidence. Once that's passed there's 14 days to agree support for a new Government. Given that all the new government will do is ask for an extension to A50 to prevent No Deal at the end of October and call a general election, there's no reason at this point to suggest anyone other than Corbyn does the job.

The main reason the Lib Dem leadership have to object to Corbyn is not that he might not be successful, but rather if he succeeds in blocking No Deal Brexit and then campaigns in an election for a second referendum in all circumstances with an option to remain, as he has promised to do, why would anyone bother voting for the Lib Dems?
Sorry they have not which is the problem Only one rebel has come forward to say he would accept Corbyn.

Brexit: where do parties stand on Corbyn plan to avoid no deal?
Labour’s move towards a no-confidence vote is making others declare their hand

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:00 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:49 am
pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:43 am
He is worth votes as a charismatic leader and up against Corbyn it would be difficult to see him losing.
Even though they suffered a no-confidence motion because of him?

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:19 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:53 am
PsychoSerenity wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:36 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Sorry they have not which is the problem Only one rebel has come forward to say he would accept Corbyn.

Brexit: where do parties stand on Corbyn plan to avoid no deal?
Labour’s move towards a no-confidence vote is making others declare their hand
Dominic Grieve and Oliver Letwin have both said they're happy to meet to discuss options to prevent No Deal. At this point it doesn't matter who may or may not lead a caretaker government. Unless MPs put their money where their mouth is and commit to vote no confidence in Johnson's government as the only way to prevent No Deal, there won't be a caretaker government to be leader of.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:55 am

To meet is not support. I see only a dead duck lying in the water.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:49 pm

Hard times ahead: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-19/ ... t/11426072
Britain will face shortages of fuel, food and medicine if it leaves the European Union without a transition deal, leaked official documents have revealed.

Projecting a vision of jammed ports, public protests and widespread disruption, the forecasts compiled by the Cabinet Office set out the most likely aftershocks of a no-deal Brexit rather than the worst-case scenarios.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Once the bog roll runs low all bets are off.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:02 pm

Are you going to stock up on basics, Brian?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:06 pm

Unfortunately I lack the economic resources to get more than a few weeks of extras in. I'll have to join a riot or do private dances for a slice of macaroni pie and a can of Iron Brew etc.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:58 am

:lol:
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:51 am

There will be a vote of no confidence, which will win. The parties will get together to call for a Brexit delay, so they can hold a new referendum and election.
The EU will agree to this, and watch in fascination as the handbags fly.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4