BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:19 am

In any other language it is a bribe but not in toryspeak.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:23 am

well, of course, tories have much more refined terms and phrases to discuss such delicate and disgusting matters.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:20 am

Svartalf wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:23 am
well, of course, tories have much more refined terms and phrases to discuss such delicate and disgusting matters.
A wodge of wonga, I believe?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:35 am

Rum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:38 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:15 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:59 pm
What exactly is Labour's position on Brexit?
The membership are overwhelmingly against it - the leadership are almost entirely for it. The conflict arises from the fact that in traditional, economically impoverished, Labour heartlands the electorate bought the Brexiteers lie and voted Leave.
What lie did they buy?
That the country was being changed by uncontrolled immigration and all the usual scapegoating that goes with the fear of the in comer.

However it is lazy thinking to assume everyone who was worried about all those eastern Europeans suddenly turning up were racist xenophobes - which some would have it. Many ordinary British people could see the impact of society changing - you could not miss it - foreign languages on the street, Eastern European shops opening, pressure on public services - and felt they had not been consulted - as indeed they had not.
I think this illustrates a very common "disconnect" that different "sides" tend to have nowadays. You've pointed out a kernel of truth, so to speak, in what the bad guys say -- the foreign languages on the street, eastern European shops, pressure on public services - so folks are looking at that and saying "we shouldn't have that - you're French - this is England -- what are you doing in England?" And, the response is "Go away, English pig-dogs! I blow my nose at you! Go away or I will taunt you a second time!"

To the people espousing that position - they aren't "racist" or "scapegoating" - they're simply saying this is England/the UK, and we have a country, and like other countries, we are allowed to have a country - you can't just come here and turn it into a Englistan." To their opponents, that sounds very racist.

Who is right and who is wrong? Maybe both, to some extent. But, has a "lie" been told here, or is it a difference in value judgment made from the same basic set of facts?

I find this sort of disconnect here in the states, too. I'm not a racist or a xenophobe - I'm very pro-immigration - I'm from a family of immigrants, married to an immigrant. I don't mind folks immigrating from wherever. However, I am pro strong immigration laws, and I do not countenance illegal immigration, and I do not think there is any merit to the argument of thousands of economic migrants just showing up at the border and demanding entry (especially not when there are people with actual job skills waiting in cities all around the world for their duly filed applications to be processed, and waiting lists to be gone through). Yet, some people insist that I am an arch-conservative, right winger who hates kids and dogs.

I have to grant you, that not being steeped in the Brexit adverts adverts and published articles, I certainly do not have the in-depth coverage of the issues as you and other Britlanders would have -- but from my perspective here, I see folks on both sides being very quick to castigate the other side with insults.

I just read an article that more than 1 in 5 of both Republicans and Democrats view their opposition as "evil." https://www.axios.com/poll-democrats-an ... ce320.html Half of each party views the other party as "ignorant". Nearly 2/3 of Democrats view Republicans as "racist/sexist/bigoted." Heck 1/3 of Republicans think Democrats are "racist/sexist/bigoted." About half of each characterize the other side as "spiteful." Of each party, only 2-4% find the other side to be fair, thoughtful or kind. https://www.axios.com/poll-democrats-an ... ce320.html

Do you find a similar polarization in Brit politics?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:57 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:35 am
No they are all twats except for those that aren't.
BArF−4

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:04 pm

there are some that aren't? you sure?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:10 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:04 pm
...not sure I can think of any off hand. :thinks:
The Speaker in Commons is a twat, but reasonably funny.
BArF−4

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:10 pm

rainbow wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:57 pm
Forty Two wrote:
No they are all twats except for those that aren't.
That's misogynist.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:16 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Rum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:48 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:38 pm
Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:15 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:59 pm
What exactly is Labour's position on Brexit?
The membership are overwhelmingly against it - the leadership are almost entirely for it. The conflict arises from the fact that in traditional, economically impoverished, Labour heartlands the electorate bought the Brexiteers lie and voted Leave.
What lie did they buy?
That the country was being changed by uncontrolled immigration and all the usual scapegoating that goes with the fear of the in comer.

However it is lazy thinking to assume everyone who was worried about all those eastern Europeans suddenly turning up were racist xenophobes - which some would have it. Many ordinary British people could see the impact of society changing - you could not miss it - foreign languages on the street, Eastern European shops opening, pressure on public services - and felt they had not been consulted - as indeed they had not.
I think this illustrates a very common "disconnect" that different "sides" tend to have nowadays. You've pointed out a kernel of truth, so to speak, in what the bad guys say -- the foreign languages on the street, eastern European shops, pressure on public services - so folks are looking at that and saying "we shouldn't have that - you're French - this is England -- what are you doing in England?" And, the response is "Go away, English pig-dogs! I blow my nose at you! Go away or I will taunt you a second time!"

To the people espousing that position - they aren't "racist" or "scapegoating" - they're simply saying this is England/the UK, and we have a country, and like other countries, we are allowed to have a country - you can't just come here and turn it into a Englistan." To their opponents, that sounds very racist.

Who is right and who is wrong? Maybe both, to some extent. But, has a "lie" been told here, or is it a difference in value judgment made from the same basic set of facts?

I find this sort of disconnect here in the states, too. I'm not a racist or a xenophobe - I'm very pro-immigration - I'm from a family of immigrants, married to an immigrant. I don't mind folks immigrating from wherever. However, I am pro strong immigration laws, and I do not countenance illegal immigration, and I do not think there is any merit to the argument of thousands of economic migrants just showing up at the border and demanding entry (especially not when there are people with actual job skills waiting in cities all around the world for their duly filed applications to be processed, and waiting lists to be gone through). Yet, some people insist that I am an arch-conservative, right winger who hates kids and dogs.

I have to grant you, that not being steeped in the Brexit adverts adverts and published articles, I certainly do not have the in-depth coverage of the issues as you and other Britlanders would have -- but from my perspective here, I see folks on both sides being very quick to castigate the other side with insults.

I just read an article that more than 1 in 5 of both Republicans and Democrats view their opposition as "evil." https://www.axios.com/poll-democrats-an ... ce320.html Half of each party views the other party as "ignorant". Nearly 2/3 of Democrats view Republicans as "racist/sexist/bigoted." Heck 1/3 of Republicans think Democrats are "racist/sexist/bigoted." About half of each characterize the other side as "spiteful." Of each party, only 2-4% find the other side to be fair, thoughtful or kind. https://www.axios.com/poll-democrats-an ... ce320.html

Not really. The polarisation is in the public debate and to some extent the media - the press anyway. The Tories make a lot of noise about immigration but actually aren’t doing very much about it. We need the cheap labour, as well as the professionals. All parties here are in realty pretty pragmatic when they stop shouting slogans and start having to live in the real world,

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:57 pm

Yeah, the Republicans here are like that about immigration. A lot of lip-service, but no action to secure the border.

And, honestly, I don't get where all the cheap labor is. Illegals here learn quick the market rates - and you might get a few bucks off on illegals, say, cleaning your house, rather than going with a larger company, but that's because they are small companies that know how to hide the cash. They make a metric ton of money - they're not slogging away at minimum wage.

Most immigrants make much more money than natural born citizens here. They're not underpaid - they just know how to make money and they don't suffer from a cultural embarrassment about doing certain kinds of work. You get educated south Americans coming to the US, and they'll go into flooring and carpet installation, tile, patio installation, fencing, and the like, because they can make a shit-ton of money. However, when you get quotes from immigrant run businesses, they're not cheaper than those run by white Americans.

I can't find, for example, an immigrant (illegal or legal) run lawn care and maintenance company that will work for a song. They demand just as much as anyone else.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Not quite the same here sadly. Low paid care work (in homes for the elderly for example) employ a lot of immigrant labour and there have even been cases of illegal slavery brought against people exploiting eastern Europeans coming over in small gangs (a local manual car wash was prosecuted for example).

I suspect people who are willing to make the sort of moves and changes to try to do better for themselves are highly motivated to begin with. There are few young people here who would tackle some of the work they do let alone travel a thousand miles or more to get the chance..

At the other end of the scale our health service would not survive without doctors originally from the Indian sub-continent and elsewhere.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:36 pm

brexit cat.jpg
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:07 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:57 pm
Yeah, the Republicans here are like that about immigration. A lot of lip-service, but no action to secure the border.
US Republicans and UK Brexitarians are ideological bed-fellows. Constantly blowing on the dog whistle and then blaming everyone else when the barking starts.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:29 am

rainbow wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:10 pm
Svartalf wrote:
Theresa May looked set to seek a long extension to the U.K.’s European Union membership after the House of Commons speaker torpedoed her plan to win Parliamentary approval for her deal to leave the bloc.
BArF−4

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:13 pm

rainbow wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:29 am
rainbow wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:10 pm
Svartalf wrote:
Theresa May looked set to seek a long extension to the U.K.’s European Union membership after the House of Commons speaker torpedoed her plan to win Parliamentary approval for her deal to leave the bloc.
Bercow, the Speaker (more or less the chair when Parliament meets) cited a 400 year old ruling with which he refused May permission to bring the same legislation forward for a third time for a vote. It is the best chance yet of getting her deal through it is (was) thought.

To say he is being treated like the devil’s spawn in the media here is underplaying it.