Cuban Missile Crisis Part Two

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Cuban Missile Crisis Part Two

Post by cronus » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:34 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-46522358

US-Russian spat over bombers landing in Venezuela

No one even notices anymore - the trump cognitive deficit must have spread to the people? :roll:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Cuban Missile Crisis Part Two

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:46 pm

-cool jets. :biggrin:

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:58 pm

Damn Crumple - you ninja'd me bro!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:01 pm

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:12 pm

--wait, wait, wait, 2013?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:13 pm

no,

although we did go from next 10, to 9, to 7! So that's progress.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:19 pm

It's just posturing. No need for panic.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:29 pm

Trump is a Cold War child. He cant think any other way.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:21 pm

He thinks that whatever he does will not have any bad consequences because he has always been protected by his money. And if there is retaliation, it'll only affect little people. They don't count.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:16 pm

He is the ultimate spoilt kid. No kid was never as spoilt so much as him. (Mind you that son Baron is probably equalling him).

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Russia has been propping up the Maduro government with cash, and periodically, they fly some planes over there as a show of solidarity. Russia's goal is to exert control over Venezuela. Venezuela is a space on the game-board, and they're moving pieces there. This isn't new, or surprising to anyone whose head hasn't been in the sand for the last decade. The Russians flew Tu-160s there in 2008, when Marxist poster boy Chavez was still breathing. In 2015, Maduro signed up to buy Russian fighter jets, and they have been supplied with Russian and Chinese military equipment for decades.

Russia has been shipping military equipment and such to Nicaragua, too, when they were responding to the Obama administration sending more US troops and weapons to NATO countries in Central and Eastern Europe. We parked more shit on their doorstep. They try to do the same.

You guys want to do the Trump freakout over this, but it's nothing really unusual, nor is it a function of Trump. in 2014, Russian strategic nuclear bombers made many incursions right into US airspace. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... ast-16-ti/ - lay off the Trump derangement syndrome for a minute and have some perspective.

Venezuela is a hot-spot -- Obama declare a ‘national emergency’, claiming that Venezuela represents a threat to US national security and foreign policy, and he assumed executive prerogatives and decree sanctions against top Venezuelan officials in charge of national security.

Oh, and also in 2016, the Russians had fighter jets actually "buzz" a US Destroyer in the Baltic Sea - they came within 30 feet of the ship, and flew so low toward the ship that they created a wake in the water. The US ship did not fire back, and the US military explained that it looked like a "simulated" attack.

But, really, that's not as serious as landing two bombers at a Venezuelan airport. I mean, Russian strategic bombers testing US airspace and Russian fighters buzzing a warship in international waters - that's a big nothing. But, now, Russia once again lands a couple bombers in Venezuela, as they've done before, that's now like the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Hilarious. Let's hear again why this happened, and how it's because that darn Trump is just a spoiled kid who can't get out of the cold war. Fucking hell, kids....
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:17 pm

You don't think Trump will get his mushroom dick in a twist over the Iranian corvettes though? They're thumbing their noses at him... I think he'll react.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:38 pm

I'm sure there will be a reaction. But, arms sales to Iran are not exactly new. They started in like 1979 after the fall of the Shah and the advent of the Ayatollah Rock n Rollas..... they immediately lost US, Brit and French sources, so they looked to China, North Korea, and the Soviet Union. The value of arms sales was like $2 billion a year by the early naughts, and after the fall of the Soviet Union, Russia became Iran's number 1 arms dealer. Iran agrees to tolerate Russian interference in the predominantly Muslim Caucasus, and Russia agrees to block UN sanctions against Iran. Nice and tidy arrangement. Russia and Iran were up to about $2.5 to $3 billion in arms sales annually by the end of the Obama administration. The Russians continue to push that agenda, and continue to sell arms, including the new corvette ships.

What do you recommend be done about it? War? No comment? A round of applause? What, so far, has the Trump administration done wrong in regards to this?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:43 pm

I'm recommending nothing; I'm only giving my opinion that 2 long range Russian nuclear-capable bombers and a handful of Iranian corvettes deployed to Venezuela might provoke a response from Trump.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:57 pm

America's backyard.