Individual-1, a joke or a threat? (talk Trump)

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Individual-1, a joke or a threat? (talk Trump)

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:56 pm

The poor oppressed predatory lenders are going to have to come up with another case to try to get the government off their backs. For now the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau will continue to impose its terrible, bad, no good oversight on their practices, to whatever extent the Trump administration allows. If only Kavanaugh could have ducked the ethics rules and stuck his oar in. Mick Mulvaney has a sad. :sadcheer:

'Supreme Court refuses to hear case challenging constitutionality of CFPB'
The Supreme Court on Monday refused to hear a case challenging the constitutionality of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

The State National Bank of Big Spring, the Competitive Enterprise Institute and the 60 Plus Association Inc. had asked the justices to review the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals decision to reject their challenge to the constitutionality of the CFPB’s structure as an “independent” agency.

The federally-chartered bank and advocacy groups, argued Congress created the CFPB in response to the financial crisis of 2008–2009 for the express purpose of exercising exclusive federal authority over all aspects of consumer finance but stripped away all traditional checks on the director’s exercise of this power.

The D.C. Circuit Court's decision to dismiss the case came after the court’s full panel of judges upheld the constitutionality of the agency’s structure in a separate case.

It takes four justices to agree to review a case. The court noted that Justice Brett Kavanaugh, President Trump’s second Supreme Court nominee, took no part in the consideration or decision of this appeal. Kavanaugh had reviewed the case when he was on the D.C. Circuit and dissented from the court’s en banc ruling.

The Trump administration has regularly targeted the structure of the CFPB.

The Competitive Enterprise Institute said Monday it was disappointed by the court’s decision to turn down the case, but indicated that it was hopeful that other cases could be reviewed.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:06 pm

President Derp, proudly causing a government shutdown, well on the way to costing his country as much as he was holding out for. :fp:

'The economic cost of the shutdown will soon be the cost of the wall'
If the partial government shutdown continues for another two weeks, the economic cost will be equivalent to the amount President Donald Trump wants for his border wall, according to an analysis from S&P Global Ratings.

The US economy lost $3.6 billion by the end of the day on Friday because of the government shutdown, according to the report.

As of Saturday, the current partial shutdown is now the longest in US history. If the impasse continues for another two weeks — and it very well might — the US economy would be out $5.7 billion, the amount the White House is demanding for the border wall.

“The longer this shutdown drags on, the more collateral damage the economy will suffer,” the S&P analysts wrote. They noted that the shutdown has both direct and indirect economic costs.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 pm

The left insisted on digging their heels in on a very small matter. Like their obsession with Trump and Russia.

What a waste of time.

I mean, unless they DO get him impeached...which should be ANY time now.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 pm
The left insisted on digging their heels in on a very small matter. Like their obsession with Trump and Russia.

What a waste of time.

I mean, unless they DO get him impeached...which should be ANY time now.
I think you mean Trump digging in his heels. He ordered the shut down...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:34 pm

Correct. The Senate had already voted for a continuing resolution to keep the government open, before the Democrats took control of the House. The Senate would do so again, but Mitch McConnell has continued his craven obeisance to Dear Leader by refusing to put it back up for a vote because Dear Leader wouldn't like that. Under the US Constitution, the Congress is not the tool of the president. If the Senate Majority Leader chooses to act as if it were, then he's essentially abdicating his duty.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:37 pm

He said he would open it if the Dems agreed to the wall funding.

Pretty small amount. They were taking in 'Hamilton' on sunny beaches, with lobbyists last weekend...maybe they got the extra 5 billion from them, and are ready to do their job.

Next, you'll try to sell me the old canard about Trump being in league with Russia.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:14 am

Cunt wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 pm
The left Trump insisted on digging their his heels in on a very small matter.
:fix:

Elisabeth Hasselbeck: Who’s getting fired? Who’s going to bear the brunt of the responsibility if indeed there is a government shutdown?

Donald Trump: If you say who gets fired it always has to be the top. Problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top. And the president’s the leader. He’s got to get everyone in a room and he’s gotta lead.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:27 am

Didn't a bunch of Dems go celebrate the shutdown by hitting the beach and taknig in 'Hamilton' at some pretentious, shitty venue?

Yeah, they really care.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:30 am

Trump had two fucking years with Republican control of both houses of Congress to get his vanity project fully funded. Somehow it didn't happen.

He spent the 2018 political campaign season pushing the immigration issue for all he was worth to try to keep control of Congress. The voters rejected his thuggish narrative and voted for the Democratic party by a very significant margin.

He boasted that he'd proudly claim credit for shutting down the government on this issue but is now trying to shift the blame for his earlier failures and the present situation elsewhere. Only those guzzling MAGA Kool-Aid by the litre don't see that the current dysfunction is attributable to one narcissist's incompetence and delusions of grandeur.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:57 am

There are so many examples [of Trump telling porkies] — The Washington Post’s Fact Checker estimates that during the two years of his presidency, Trump has told some 7,600 lies — but let this one suffice. On Boxing Day last year, during an unannounced visit to Iraq, Trump spoke to US troops about a pay rise. “I got you a big one. I got you a big one.” He continued, “They said: ‘You know, we could make it smaller. We could make it 3 per cent. We could make it 2 per cent. We could make it 4 per cent.’ I said: ‘No. Make it 10 per cent. Make it more than 10 per cent’.” The future pay rise is 2.6 per cent.

Think about what is happening here: a lie — easily discredited — is being made, with complete shamelessness, to people most of us would regard as heroes. When he told the troops about the pay rise, they must have gone wild. For the briefest moment, Trump will have been applauded, celebrated — but then what? How can someone be so oblivious to the consequences of deceit?

Born to parents who, by some accounts, left him feeling deserted and bereft, Trump has been a loner most of his life. At school and university, he seems to have made no friends he kept. While he does collect celebrities, for the most part his friendships seem to be perfunctory, fleeting. Averse to shaking people’s hands, phobic of germs — whatever the origins of his behaviour, many psychoanalysts would describe Trump’s way of relating as “avoidant”. “One of the loneliest people I’ve ever met,” biographer Tim O’Brien said in an interview. “He lacks the emotional and sort of psychological architecture a person needs to build deep relationships with other people.”

Given this apparent lack — and the effect his lying has on us — my view is that Trump may abuse the truth so we take notice of him, think about him, become emotionally involved with him. Because he’s in no one’s heart, he wants to be in all our minds. More and more, I’m convinced that his greatest ambitions are neither financial nor political — they’re psychological. He wants us never to take our eyes off him. A psychic imperialist, he aims to colonise our minds. He wants to dominate the external and internal landscape.

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
https://www.ft.com/content/b752121c-127 ... dkxTbTo6I0

The Mind

The Mind

Life & Arts Add to myFT
The real reason Donald Trump lies
The president’s greatest ambitions are neither financial nor political — they’re psychological, writes Stephen Grosz

© Bill Butcher
Share on Twitter (opens new window)
Share on Facebook (opens new window)
Share on LinkedIn (opens new window)
Share on Whatsapp (opens new window)
Save
Save to myFT
Stephen Grosz JANUARY 9, 2019 216
We all lie, but we don’t lie like President Trump. He is the most extravagant, reckless, inexhaustible fibber of our era — the panjandrum of porky pies.

Because we all lie, we may be tempted to think we understand why Donald Trump does, or even that he lies for the same reasons we do.

He doesn’t.

Last April, a 34-year-old woman I’ve been working with for several years told me that she hadn’t been honest with me. “Not big lies,” Ms A said, “I just couldn’t tell you certain things.” It took us some time to understand why she brought herself to her psychoanalysis in this particular way.

When she was a child, Ms A’s parents saw her as an extension of themselves — they experienced her successes and failures as theirs. Ms A could not, for example, be sad or cry without making her much-loved mother unhappy and unsure of herself. She had to be sunny. As a child, Ms A discovered that lying to her parents allowed her to feel separate from them, self-contained, a bit free. Her deceits felt more hers than the real world. Lying allowed her a private self. She lied to feel independent.

Most of us lie to avoid causing painful feelings in others, and ourselves. Sometimes, like Ms A, we lie to protect some sense of self.

Trump’s lying is different. It’s not just a departure from the norms of the presidency — it’s a departure from the norm.

There are so many examples — The Washington Post’s Fact Checker estimates that during the two years of his presidency, Trump has told some 7,600 lies — but let this one suffice. On Boxing Day last year, during an unannounced visit to Iraq, Trump spoke to US troops about a pay rise. “I got you a big one. I got you a big one.” He continued, “They said: ‘You know, we could make it smaller. We could make it 3 per cent. We could make it 2 per cent. We could make it 4 per cent.’ I said: ‘No. Make it 10 per cent. Make it more than 10 per cent’.” The future pay rise is 2.6 per cent.

Think about what is happening here: a lie — easily discredited — is being made, with complete shamelessness, to people most of us would regard as heroes. When he told the troops about the pay rise, they must have gone wild. For the briefest moment, Trump will have been applauded, celebrated — but then what? How can someone be so oblivious to the consequences of deceit?

Born to parents who, by some accounts, left him feeling deserted and bereft, Trump has been a loner most of his life. At school and university, he seems to have made no friends he kept. While he does collect celebrities, for the most part his friendships seem to be perfunctory, fleeting. Averse to shaking people’s hands, phobic of germs — whatever the origins of his behaviour, many psychoanalysts would describe Trump’s way of relating as “avoidant”. “One of the loneliest people I’ve ever met,” biographer Tim O’Brien said in an interview. “He lacks the emotional and sort of psychological architecture a person needs to build deep relationships with other people.”

Given this apparent lack — and the effect his lying has on us — my view is that Trump may abuse the truth so we take notice of him, think about him, become emotionally involved with him. Because he’s in no one’s heart, he wants to be in all our minds. More and more, I’m convinced that his greatest ambitions are neither financial nor political — they’re psychological. He wants us never to take our eyes off him. A psychic imperialist, he aims to colonise our minds. He wants to dominate the external and internal landscape.

The word famous has its roots in the Latin fama — rumour, reputation, or renown. Initially, fame was linked to deeds, actions. Over the past hundred years, that link has been broken. Nowadays, if you’re discussed, you’re famous. Much of what presidents do isn’t very interesting — so Trump doesn’t bother. He does things to get people talking about him. Threats and rows get him attention. Shocking, melodramatic, confounding lies work too — he’d rather be infamous than forgotten.

Between 1980 and 1990 Trump spoke to some reporters pretending to be a “John Barron — spokesman for Donald Trump”. During these conversations, Barron would praise Trump — inflating his wealth and business success, describing how beautiful women were sexually attracted to Trump, and so forth. Whatever its beginnings, “John Barron” gives us a sense of the vehemence of Trump’s self-doubt, his craving to be famous.

“John Barron” is a fiction that Trump created because, I presume, he thought no one else would come to his defence or applaud him. This creation may well be the result of child-Trump being disregarded, neglected, unloved. In 2006 Trump and Melania named their only child Barron. I find this poignant — it suggests to me that Trump wanted to bring his imaginary friend to life. In giving his son the name Barron, he may have been trying to make his fiction real.

https://www.ft.com/content/b752121c-127 ... dkxTbTo6I0

Viewed this way we could almost pity this sad excuse for a human if his lies and shit-stirring didn't have real-life consequences which cause great harm and weren't lapped up uncritically by the hive-mind.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 pm

Not to be used by Trump. Need 8 inches.
mexican hookers.jpg
mexican hookers.jpg (68.26 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:54 pm

Oh, Tero, that jokes in such poor taste. :rimshot:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:56 pm

So is Mr President.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Punishing NATO!

"Starting the long overdue pullout from Syria while hitting the little remaining ISIS territorial caliphate hard, and from many directions. Will attack again from existing nearby base if it reforms," Trump tweeted. "Will devastate Turkey economically if they hit Kurds."

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:09 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:30 am
Trump had two fucking years with Republican control of both houses of Congress to get his vanity project fully funded. Somehow it didn't happen.

He spent the 2018 political campaign season pushing the immigration issue for all he was worth to try to keep control of Congress. The voters rejected his thuggish narrative and voted for the Democratic party by a very significant margin.

He boasted that he'd proudly claim credit for shutting down the government on this issue but is now trying to shift the blame for his earlier failures and the present situation elsewhere. Only those guzzling MAGA Kool-Aid by the litre don't see that the current dysfunction is attributable to one narcissist's incompetence and delusions of grandeur.
Yes, but the budgets required 3/5 majority in the Senate.

He made the mistake of kicking the can down the road in the FY 2018 budget (november 2017, to October 2018), and then he was stuck with this FY 2019 budget. Now as of 1/1/19, the democrats control the house.

He should have pushed for it in the 2018 budget, as now it's harder. In the 2018 budget, he scaled back his wall funding demands to $1.6 billion in order to get it passed without a shutdown.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar