WTF is going in in France Svarty?

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Re: WTF is going in in France Svarty?

Post by rainbow » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:14 pm

DRSB wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:13 pm
For Russia‘s huge natural resources, gas and all that?
Africa has more.
...just pay us a fair price for what you buy from us.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Which is the way it should be.
Colonialism dies hard especially with Anglo-Saxon mind set.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:58 pm

Well you would say that wouldn’t you? what with your Scottish/Dutch mindset and all. :yawn:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:14 pm

You don't have to predict an immanent NATO/Russian war to realise that power based (and sometimes military) posturing is alive and well in international politics...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:48 pm

rainbow wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:11 pm
Hermit wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:49 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:39 am
Which ones are those and why would they attack?
I leave it to you to study some history. Should you decide to do so, you will discover an all too common pattern, namely that when nations cannot defend their autonomy from neighbouring nations that are more powerful, they lose it.
Europe is a very different place now. There is little motive to invade and hold territory, as the economies are not longer based on agriculture, mining and manufacture - so land is not as important.
Wars are now faught over ideology not territory, and the Europeans have a common middle-class value system. What would there be to fight for?
Wars are not necessarily about ideology even when the opposing sides invoke their respective ones. They are about "Do unto them before they around to do unto us." King Louis XVI supported the American revolutionaries because it would weaken the power of George III. The American Congress did not help the Taliban out to the tune of one or two billion dollars worth of arms because it favoured a Muslim theocracy.

There is no shortage of unlikely alliances being made against the potential or current threat of another power. "He may be a bastard, but at least he is our bastard." Until he isn't any more of course, which usually happens when the common enemy has been defeated. This happened when the Spartans were no longer an ally against the Persians, and every time the Spartans were no longer a threat the mainland demes resumed wars against each other. "Balkanisation" is an ancient phenomenon that has endured into the second half of the 20th century. It's Realpolitik on a smaller scale. I see no development that has put a stop to it.

Nor are wars fought over territory per se. Sure, if one power can obtain resources and markets simply by trading, there's no point in starting a war. And yet, they keep occurring. The patterns of Realpolitik, which at their core are about power, keep repeat themselves with depressing frequency. "War", as Clausewitz remarked, "is the continuation of politics by other means." It's what powers resort to when free trade and diplomacy fail.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:58 am

Like George said, "The object of power is power."
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:18 am

Hermit wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:48 pm
rainbow wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:11 pm
Hermit wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:49 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:39 am
Which ones are those and why would they attack?
I leave it to you to study some history. Should you decide to do so, you will discover an all too common pattern, namely that when nations cannot defend their autonomy from neighbouring nations that are more powerful, they lose it.
Europe is a very different place now. There is little motive to invade and hold territory, as the economies are not longer based on agriculture, mining and manufacture - so land is not as important.
Wars are now faught over ideology not territory, and the Europeans have a common middle-class value system. What would there be to fight for?
Wars are not necessarily about ideology even when the opposing sides invoke their respective ones. They are about "Do unto them before they around to do unto us." King Louis XVI supported the American revolutionaries because it would weaken the power of George III. The American Congress did not help the Taliban out to the tune of one or two billion dollars worth of arms because it favoured a Muslim theocracy.

There is no shortage of unlikely alliances being made against the potential or current threat of another power. "He may be a bastard, but at least he is our bastard." Until he isn't any more of course, which usually happens when the common enemy has been defeated. This happened when the Spartans were no longer an ally against the Persians, and every time the Spartans were no longer a threat the mainland demes resumed wars against each other. "Balkanisation" is an ancient phenomenon that has endured into the second half of the 20th century. It's Realpolitik on a smaller scale. I see no development that has put a stop to it.

Nor are wars fought over territory per se. Sure, if one power can obtain resources and markets simply by trading, there's no point in starting a war. And yet, they keep occurring. The patterns of Realpolitik, which at their core are about power, keep repeat themselves with depressing frequency. "War", as Clausewitz remarked, "is the continuation of politics by other means." It's what powers resort to when free trade and diplomacy fail.

Merkel wants to integrate everybody under Global Compact, even those, that have not signed the pact.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:17 am

DRSB wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:18 am
Hermit wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:48 pm

Merkel wants to integrate everybody under Global Compact, even those, that have not signed the pact.
Um, yeah. Merkel states that a two thirds majority vote of an organisation is binding on the on the one third that disagreed with the majority decision. If that has any bearing on the post you quoted, I missed it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:30 am

Rum wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:58 pm
Well you would say that wouldn’t you? what with your Scottish/Dutch mindset and all. :yawn:
Says the Little Englander; Rule Britannia! :{D
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:37 am

Hermit, the post evolved into a discussion about power games, integration and disintegration, who dictates what on whom so I thought there is some bearing to other discussions currently going on, especially on migration.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:48 am

DRSB wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:37 am
Hermit, the post evolved into a discussion about power games, integration and disintegration, who dictates what on whom so I thought there is some bearing to other discussions currently going on, especially on migration.
Fine. No bearing on the post you quoted, then.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:00 pm

So, the generals' letter is still unanswered, right?
https://www.infowars.com/french-general ... tion-pact/

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:07 pm

bunchamorons, the only thing they have signed is their own retirement letter/resignation from active service... There's a good reason why the French military is widely known as 'the Mute'... Serving people, even officers, have no room to express their opinions, and no right to do so... heck, until fairly recently, serving personnel did not even have their normal voting rights.

These generals etc have completely gone out of bounds, and would be sacked even if the president was not an authoritarian like macron... with him in power, I expect them to be served resignation papers before the week is over, maybe within a day.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:30 am
Rum wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:58 pm
Says the Little Englander; Rule Britannia! :{D
See, there’s your mindset at work again.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:07 pm
These generals etc have completely gone out of bounds, and would be sacked even if the president was not an authoritarian like macron... with him in power, I expect them to be served resignation papers before the week is over, maybe within a day.
The reason the letter failed to make waves outside the usual lunatic websites is that all its signatories are lunatics of the first water. As far as I could trace them, all of the officers who signed the letter are ex officers. Another thing they share is membership of ultra right wing organisations such as the National Council of European Resistance, an outfit that consists of racist fuckwits. The background of the foreign minister who also signed the letter makes the likes of Farage and Wilders look like nigger-lovers. He was sacked by the then conservative French government around 1995 for being too racist and right wing, whereupon he founded his own, shortlived Nazi party