Republicans: continued

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:05 pm

That's the worry isn't it(?) That unethical political attack-dogs will use the law to quell criticism of their masters, either through binding critics into protracted proceedings, or simply by the threat of penury. IF Twitter is forced to recompense Nunes for the apparent hurt he's felt then that would send a very clear signal to the FAANG corporations from which we get so much of our information. One thing's for sure, I doubt that Nunes himself is going to end up out-of-pocket, or even that the idea to sue was his to begin with. He's basically a private dancer for lobbyist who own the GOP now.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:02 pm

Joe wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:09 pm
but can you see my concern that this might set a precedent for more serious retaliation by our elected officials?
It is definitely cause for concern.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:05 am

Joe wrote:
Yes, I'm aware of anti-SLAPP laws, after all I read the article I linked to.
I wasn't implying that you weren't aware. :) Perhaps I worded it clumsily, but I was describing the relevant details of Virginia's anti-SLAPP law since they vary from state to state and some states have none.
Joe wrote:
However, with having to respond to filings and motions, the cost is immediate whereas recompense is uncertain and somewhere down the road. It's stressful and intimidating to be sued by someone with deep pockets and access to the best lawyers, and the plaintiff being a Congressman doesn't help.

Moreover, I don't see eventually having to pay defendant legal costs as much of a deterrent to someone who is backed by conservative donors.

Look, I take your point that Nunes is a capering fool, and likely a useful idiot for the Russians, but can you see my concern that this might set a precedent for more serious retaliation by our elected officials?
I agree with all of the above. Particularly in light of Nunes suing the people who created the parody accounts, which is nothing but coercive bullying under the guise of 'they're picking on me!'

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:07 am

Just another conservative who is hypocritical when it comes to free speech.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:00 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:05 am
Joe wrote:
Yes, I'm aware of anti-SLAPP laws, after all I read the article I linked to.
I wasn't implying that you weren't aware. :) Perhaps I worded it clumsily, but I was describing the relevant details of Virginia's anti-SLAPP law since they vary from state to state and some states have none.
Joe wrote:
However, with having to respond to filings and motions, the cost is immediate whereas recompense is uncertain and somewhere down the road. It's stressful and intimidating to be sued by someone with deep pockets and access to the best lawyers, and the plaintiff being a Congressman doesn't help.

Moreover, I don't see eventually having to pay defendant legal costs as much of a deterrent to someone who is backed by conservative donors.

Look, I take your point that Nunes is a capering fool, and likely a useful idiot for the Russians, but can you see my concern that this might set a precedent for more serious retaliation by our elected officials?
I agree with all of the above. Particularly in light of Nunes suing the people who created the parody accounts, which is nothing but coercive bullying under the guise of 'they're picking on me!'
No worries, I get a little worked up over SLAPP suits and lawfare in general.

We have a local case of a concrete company trying to open a rock quarry in a neighborhood on the southern outskirts of town. The people there, some old friends, organized to resist the company's efforts by appealing to the government. They have been repeated targets of these punitive suits for several years now, and it's become personal for me.

As for Nunes, it amazes me that he gets reelected. :think:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:07 am

Kentucky governor says he exposed his children to chickenpox rather than getting vaccine
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/20/health/k ... index.html
Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin said he made sure all his nine children were exposed to chickenpox and caught the disease instead of giving them a vaccine.

"They had it as children. They were miserable for a few days, and they all turned out fine," Bevin said in an interview with WKCT, a Bowling Green radio station.
Bevin and his wife, Glenna, have nine children between the ages of 5 and 16, according to his campaign website.

The governor says he supports parents who choose to get their children vaccinated and also those who decline to do so. But he said the decision shouldn't be up to the government.
"This is America," he said. "The federal government should not be forcing this upon people. They just shouldn't."
NINE children. These are the morons who are not only running the country, but also reproducing like rabbits... :fp:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:31 am

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:21 am

Sydney Aiello, a Parkland school shooting survivor, kills herself
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/su ... lf-n986266
Sydney Aiello, a student who survived the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Parkland, Florida, and graduated last year took her life over the weekend, officials said.

She was 19.

Aiello had been close friends with Meadow Pollack, one of the victims of the Feb. 14, 2018, mass shooting at the school that left 14 students and three staff members dead.

"Beautiful Sydney with such a bright future was taken from us way too soon," Pollack's brother, Hunter, wrote on Twitter.

Aiello died from a gunshot wound to the head, according to Heather A. Gálvez, with the Broward County Medical Examiner's Office.

"The death of Sydney Aiello is tragic, shocking and heartbreaking, and surely at least in significant part the result of the ripple effect of the MSD shooting," a statement from Pollack's family said.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:22 am

:(
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:33 am

A0A5BFFA-9F62-4DBF-9A22-C7BAC449B4FF.jpeg
These people, Republicans, have sex.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:36 am

Even more elliptical than usual, Tero...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:06 pm

JimC wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:36 am
Even more elliptical than usual, Tero...
She is playing the feminist card now. No sex for him for a month.

https://thinkprogress.org/kellyanne-con ... b998056a0/
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:23 pm

I wonder if George will have the last word when the history of this administration is written. “Shitshow in a dumpster fire” is a fine summary.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Second Parkland shooting survivor kills himself, police confirm
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... 50134.html
A second Parkland shooting survivor has killed himself, Coral Springs police confirmed on Sunday.

Investigators told the Miami Herald that a current Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student died in “an apparent suicide” on Saturday night.

Police are still investigating.

Though police could not confirm the age of the student, Coral Springs police spokesman Tyler Reik said the student was a juvenile. Sources say the student was a male sophomore. His name has not been released.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:47 pm

Terribly, terribly sad.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT