Republicans: continued

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by Seabass » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:13 pm

Republicans:
Place election process under partisan control at state level.
Accuse Dems of stealing elections.
Threaten violence against Dems if they keep stealing elections.

These people are fascists.
Cawthorn warns of more ‘bloodshed’ to follow Capitol riot. Did he cross a legal line?

U.S. Rep. Madison Cawthorn is perhaps best known for his speeches, whether at the Jan. 6 rally before the U.S. Capitol riot or at a Buncombe County school board meeting this month, when he called mask mandates “psychological child abuse.”

His remarks Sunday during an event at the Macon County Republican Party headquarters in Franklin were no exception.

Cawthorn, a freshman representing the state’s 11th district in western North Carolina, predicted that “bloodshed” would follow another “stolen” presidential election.

He called the arrested Capitol rioters “political prisoners” and spoke of efforts to “try and bust them out,” according to video clips from a Democratic congressional staffer and news reports. (There is no evidence that the 2020 presidential election was stolen from former president Donald Trump, and the courts have thrown out more than 50 lawsuits questioning the integrity of the election.)

Asked about a return to Washington following a question about the Jan. 6 riot, the ardent Trump supporter told supporters: “We are actively working on that one.”
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... 81613.html
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:05 pm

You don't have to be all white, just mostly.
CNN
I used to believe those predictions. Now I have a different conclusion:
Don't ever underestimate White supremacy's ability to adapt.
The assumption that more racial diversity equals more racial equality is a dangerous myth. Racial diversity can function as a cloaking device, concealing the most powerful forms of White supremacy while giving the appearance of racial progress.

Racism will likely be just as entrenched in a browner America as it is now. It will still be White supremacy, with a tan.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/04/us/censu ... index.html
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:32 pm

I'm so tired of the US. When you're not fighting a fascist right, you're wrestling dead sheep on the left.

Our culture is sick.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:36 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:32 pm
I'm so tired of the US. When you're not fighting a fascist right, you're wrestling dead sheep on the left.

Our culture is sick.
What do you mean by "wrestling dead sheep"?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:12 pm

Years ago after venting my frustration at arguing with Christians, a commentor at Dawkins site expressed sympathy by sharing that he thought it was like wrestling with a dead sheep. It made perfect sense to me. It's a feeling --why does this dead thing persist-- nothing more. I guess you instantly recognize it or you don't depending on your experiences.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:18 pm

Democrats will gerrymander Boebert out
https://www.salon.com/2021/09/04/lauren ... g_partner/

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:27 pm

"Wrestling with dead sheep"

Sounds like an area where the Welsh or the Kiwis would have a stranglehold... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:41 pm

Liam Nissan™
@theliamnissan
20m
Replying to
@RepMTG
I recently swapped out the condom in my wallet for a photo of Marjorie Taylor Greene, and I haven't wanted to get anyone pregnant since.
https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1434491389593718792

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:07 pm

Chris Christie telling lies about the US Constitution and ignoring reality. The usual full serving of abject bullshit from that bootlicking chowderhead.
"Science has changed so much since [Roe v, Wade]. One of the reasons you're seeing a decline in abortion is an increase in science and how much more people know about viability. And when they know that, they're much more appalled by the act of abortion than they were back in 1973."

"Listen, this is what we call the system that our founders set up. Which is, if the right is not enumerated in the Constitution, it reverts to the states to decide and each one of these states in my view should be able to make this decision on their own."

[source]
The fact is that regardless of the level to which the citizens of the US are 'appalled' by abortion, support for a woman's right to choose abortion has not changed--the majority continue to support it.

Christie knows full well that the decision in Roe v Wade was in part based on the 9th Amendment, which recognises that enumeration of rights in the Constitution 'shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.' As well, the 14th Amendment generally gives federal protection to the rights of the people, overriding state attempts to diminish them. The oleaginous lardass Christie is one dishonest fuck.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:49 pm

tweet

Andrew Hunt
@drewhuntre
Sep 3
Replying to
@EleanorMorton
"There's nothing funny about Right-wing Christian values!", yelled my Uncle (who died from an overdose of Fox News).

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:27 pm

Rand Paul (and Cunt) won't give up:
Fauci has adamantly denied that the National Institutes of Health funded gain-of-function research in Wuhan. Paul blasted Fauci in a Tuesday tweet, saying that the NIAID director had "lied again."
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rand-p ... i-lied.amp

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:59 pm

Can't Fauci sue the arsehole for calling him a liar?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:40 am

It's the old pig-wrestling thing. Don't bother-- you'll get covered in filth and the pig will enjoy it.

It's not as if the dingleberry Rand Paul is winning any points except attaboys from the militantly benighted. He's not hurting Fauci's reputation otherwise.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:47 am

Another article from Salon, ah, well. I think it says things worth saying.

'Greg Abbott is not ignorant — he's a liar: Why the difference matters for the future of democracy'
Like most ambitious Republicans, [Governor Abbott] is a consummate troll who is happy to say seemingly dumb things to attract liberal outrage, attention which bolsters his fame and credibility in the eyes of the right. (He likely learned well from his fellow Texas Republican, skilled troll Sen. Ted Cruz.) Playing dumb, for right-wingers, is often the smartest move you can make.

Still, it's frustrating to see Abbott's rhetoric framed as ignorance instead of sadistic lying, because, frankly, that lets the people behind this law off the hook. Ignorance is a forgiveable sin, easily corrected with education. But most of the folks involved with writing and passing anti-abortion laws understand biological facts and standard medical practice perfectly well. Indeed, they leverage that knowledge to craft clever laws that sound reasonable on their face, but actually make providing safe abortion impossible. For instance, the last time Texas tried to ban abortion, they did so by requiring abortion providers to have hospital admitting privileges, which sounds reasonable to the average person. What peeople in the know — including the law's drafters — understood, however, is that abortion doctors couldn't get hospital privileges. Hospitals only give such privileges to doctors who actually admit patients, and abortion doctors don't do that, because abortion is a safe outpatient procedure akin to getting a cavity drilled.

It's the same story with the latest ban. The people behind it are playing a little game. They know the media will use the standard medical terminology "six weeks." That sounds like a long time, but patients actually have, if they're very lucky, only two weeks.That kind of media manipulation is not a matter of being dumb, but being both clever and deeply evil.

We know that Abbott is deliberately lying, and not just dumb, for a couple of reasons. For one, he says "at least six weeks," when he knows full well that "six weeks" refers to the cut-off, not the baseline. (And, again, that's six weeks since the beginning of the last period, not actually six weeks gestation.) Even if he doesn't know the first thing about menstrual cycles, we can rest assured he knows the difference between a floor and a ceiling. Second of all, that crap about eliminating all rape is so dumb that literally no one who says something like that can believe it. Remember, Abbott successfully sued the person whose negligence left him in a wheelchair. He understands full well that legal justice is not the same thing as erasing the physical effects of an injury. Watching a rapist go to jail doesn't ameliorate the pain of forced childbirth.

[A]nti-choicers have, for decades, successfully exploited stereotypes that they are dim-witted Bible-huggers to escape responsibility from some truly heinous behavior. Take, for instance, a 2014 case in which the Supreme Court struck down a Massachussetts law giving abortion patients a 35-foot buffer zone to walk to a clinic without being harassed by anti-choice protesters. The lawyers for the protesters portrayed their clients as simple-minded but sweet grandmothers whose desire to "counsel" young women should be indulged. In reality, the protesters who surround the clinic are resentful bullies who are only too happy to talk about abortion patients like they're sluts and who sneeringly denounce women for wanting "to have their careers [and] their education." Their motives weren't gentle ignorance, but unvarnished sadism.

And most importantly of all, there's danger in ascribing to stupidity what is born from enmity, which is the threat of underestimating your opponents. The Texas abortion ban isn't something that idiot anti-choicers stumbled into by accident. It was carefully crafted by highly educated, intelligent people who spent years researching ways to overturn Roe v. Wade while pretending that's not what they did. They are manipulative and diabolical, and have had incredible success, despite holding views that are wildly unpopular. It may feel good to write such people off as "ignorant," but that is the last thing they are. They're smart as hell, and that is why they're so dangerous.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:12 am

'Liar'? He's an evil, sick fuck.

A 15 year old girl gets raped by her father, and she is then required by law to have her father's baby.

These people are sick fucking monsters. They are no better than the fucking Taliban. No, I'm not joking.

Fortunately, there are still enough sane people in the US to stop them turning it into Afghanistan, but who knows how much longer these forces of darkness can be held at bay...