About me: recovering humanist

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:58 pm

Russia has done very well under Putin.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:30 pm

Well I would not say very well. Putin has done very well.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:54 pm

That's propaganda. The reality is Putin has used Russia's energy industry to make it a major player again.

How are those sanctions working out? What about lowering the price of oil, must be killing a country which has only used its resources to help the few...

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:02 pm

We should be abandoning oil, not lowering the price more than it is already lowered by trillions in subsidies and moving that funding to carbon free forms of energy.

My dream right now would be for the World to break free of the petrodollar and the undue influence of the US and Russia, big polluters and major propagators of denialism, in the Middle East by going green and leaving America, Russia, and Saudi Arabia drowning in barrels of crude they can't sell.

As for Putin being good for Russia?
Maybe. As long as you're not a marginalised group. Ask the LGBT community how they're faring. Ask the families of his political opponents murdered.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:39 pm

The guy behind our mask protests has been caught encouraging the governor to kill rioters.
"Kill 'em." Houston GOP powerbroker Steve Hotze left Greg Abbott a voicemail requesting National Guard "shoot to kill" rioters

"I want you to give a message to the governor," Hotze told Abbott's chief of staff, Luis Saenz, in a voicemail. "I want to make sure that he has National Guard down here and they have the order to shoot to kill if any of these son-of-a-bitch people start rioting like they have in Dallas, start tearing down businesses — shoot to kill the son of a bitches. That’s the only way you restore order. Kill ‘em. Thank you."
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/03 ... t-rioters/

Other Republicans, my county's sheriffs, have declared they won't enforce the mask order. --naturally. These guys man. They do the bidding of a system they don't understand regardless of the lives destroyed in the process and then suddenly develop a spine to stand against it when doing so only means hurting even more people. I'm surrounded by dangerously stupid people.

--//--

Priority #1 has become getting the fuck outta here.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:16 am

Here only on public transport is it compulsory and people hate them. The trouble is if you use them you should only use them once. The experts here are not agreed about how effective they are. The state of some of the masks being used is terrible and how can those be effective? It is another "just in case" rule. As with social distancing: "just in case" when you can now sit next to each other in a train or plane but once you step off you have to resume the 1,5m rule. It is totally inconsistent. Other countries have different distances. Washing hands is most important.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:28 am

Of course there are inconsistencies. This is the real world and the situation is ongoing.

Given the political realities here I prefer police and city leaders to avoid lending support to a side, and yes, especially to Trump's base.

They can do this in part by choosing to acknowledge the potential problems of enforcement, while maintaining support for the effort to slow the pandemic. Instead they appear to be signaling support to Trump's believers.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:53 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:28 am
Of course there are inconsistencies. This is the real world and the situation is ongoing.
:this:

And Dutchy acts like the 1.5m rule is law. It's an advisory, and the same advice can be employed on public transport. No one is forcing you to sit next to someone.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:11 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:53 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:28 am
:this:

And Dutchy acts like the 1.5m rule is law. It's an advisory, and the same advice can be employed on public transport. No one is forcing you to sit next to someone.
Once again your little mind is unable to comprehend world topics. It is law here. You can get fined up to €400 per person if you dont disperse when ordered. It is not advisory and you cant stop anyone from sitting next to you. It is totally inconsistent. If I wanted to fly to Paris in Schiphol airport I would have maintain a distance of 1,5m then sit in a plane next to someone and once in Paris in the airport I would have to maintain a distance of only 1m.
There is no restrictions on the quality of the masks any old rag will do. This all proves what a farce it is.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:26 am

Well that's stupid Dutch society. In the rational part of the world things work more rationally.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:37 am

There are always going to be inconsistencies in social rules in a complex situation we find ourselves in. What doesn't change is the effects of individual actions on social distancing and personal hygiene on the average probabilities of virus transmission...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:45 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:26 am
Well that's stupid Dutch society. In the rational part of the world things work more rationally.
Once again you cannot comprehend. In most countries it is law.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:59 am

JimC wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:37 am
There are always going to be inconsistencies in social rules in a complex situation we find ourselves in. What doesn't change is the effects of individual actions on social distancing and personal hygiene on the average probabilities of virus transmission...
On social distancing there is no definite evidence that it works it is another "just in case" measure. The usual personal hygiene is more than enough and does not require the paranoid measures that have been imposed.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:25 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:45 am
pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:26 am
Once again you cannot comprehend. In most countries it is law.
Most countries? You said walking around you have to maintain 1.5m. Let's see your evidence for that being a law in most countries.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:26 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:59 am
JimC wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:37 am
On social distancing there is no definite evidence that it works it is another "just in case" measure. The usual personal hygiene is more than enough and does not require the paranoid measures that have been imposed.
Says eminent scientist, Dr Scot Dutchy..