Republicans: continued

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:12 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:43 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:42 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:51 am
Forty Two wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:39 am
It's not a strawman. Libertarian communism is as I described.

If you think through any version of communism, it has similar failings. There is nothing romantic or ideal about it. By their own terms, not a single version of communism can result in anything but oppression and economic disaster.
I think the point rainbow is making is that you argued against a point of your own design and execution.
...and that's not a strawman.

Anytime someone argues a point, they are arguing a point of their own design and execution. A strawman is when someone is engaged in a debate and attributes a given position to the opposition, and proceeds to defeat the misattributed position. I didn't attribute the position to rainbow. I argued my own position.
And that becomes a strawman when it's used to rebut, refute, or otherwise counter a point that wasn't made or articulated. That also qualifies as a non-sequitur as well. Two fallacies for the price of one!
How can it be a non sequitur when part of the discussion was the utopian or dystopian nature of communism? And, did not attribute the position to anyone except myself, so it can't be a strawman. Your attempt to characterize this as a fallacy is just evasion.
Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:43 pm
I said that Communism was essentially a romantic perspective, and not dissimilar to Libertarianism in that respect. Subsequently, after you took exception to that, I offered you a link to the wiki article on romanticism - which I thought would be the end of the matter, but which you clearly cannot be bothered to read. In short, and by implication, the point is made that both Communism and Libertarianism are fundamentally utopian in their outlook; as ideas they both seek to reject the circumstances of their time and seek to return to society something they both feel it has lost; to return society to a more harmonious, more natural, more benign state. As such they are without, beyond, or distinctly set aside from political thinking that locates its roots in the Enlightenment, with it's emphasis on reason, science, and an unvarnished appraisal of the facts at hand. Now argue against that premise.

:tea:
I don't dispute that people who advocate for communism do so out of romantic notions that it is a "utopian" vision. What I dispute is that its vision is utopian at all, and I assert that it is - as advertised in its principles, not as interpreted or "in the real world" - a dystopian nightmare. I.e. - if the communists got what they romanticize about, they would get a dystopian nightmare.

I explained that many different ways from time-to-time. On this thread, I most recently used the "libertarian communism" "romantic ideal" as a way to illustrate that it is neither romantic, nor ideal. There is no way to get the foundational elements in place without tyranny, oppression and slavery of the individual to the state. Libertarian Communism falls of its own weight - it is inherently self-contradictory.

For example, one of its basic premises is "no state - a stateless society" and then another premise is "eliminate money." However, people create money, not necessarily governments -- coins were created not top down, but bottom up. People will create a monetary system, because people will - even in the romantic ideal of libertarian communism - exchange goods and services. The only way to keep them from doing it with money is by forcing them not to use private money. Therefore, you cannot have an absence of money without an enforcement mechanism, and once you have an enforcement mechanism you have a state. There is no way around that, IMO. However, I am willing to be convinced otherwise. I've tried many times to get myself to see what others see, and I can't.

It's kind of like my approach to religion - I have tried as hard as I can to "get" the arguments of believers - they see their arguments as quite persuasive - most of them are not dishonest - they really, honestly believe that their god exists, and that it's rational to believe in it, etc. They think I'm the irrational one who can't see the truth in front of my face because I'm an atheist. I have tried so hard over decades to see what they see, and I can't. Same thing with people who say "oh, communism is a great ideal -- but alas it's just not practical because people are selfish" or some such - or that "communism is great in principle, but not in practice." I have tried so hard to get on board with that kind of romanticized notion of communism - to see what people see - to be able to at least see "well, I don't agree, but I get how people would really love to live in an idealized communist society that is in accord with the philosophical foundations of the ideology..." but I can't - I am as baffled by someone who thinks communism would be a good idea as I am of someone who thinks God exists.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:21 pm

So you don't dispute that Communism and Libertarian are essentially utopian, and therefore romantic, you just don't think they're capable of achieving their desired and asserted state of perfection? The latter, you see, is not dependent on, nor related to, the former - you do know what 'utopian' means don't you?

And I'm talking about Communism and Libertarianism, while you're talking only about Communism. So, whence lies Libertarianism, in your view?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Republicans. The party of scumbag racists.

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:00 pm

She's referring to this sack of shit.

I don't expect he'll lose his job or any Republicans on this site are going to be adequately ashamed enough that they'll decide to do the moral thing and quit voting for the party. I rather expect they'll do the cowardly thing instead and defend and deflect.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:02 pm

My bet is that even if she was assassinated the Republicans on here would still refuse to disassociate with the party.

Omar says she has faced increase in death threats since Trump tweet
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... dONXZIJw3U

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Animavore wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:53 pm
Republicans. The party of scumbag racists.

LOL - fucking MSNBC horse shit.

Nobody is treating Ilhan Omar unfairly. She's getting the same treatment everyone else gets.

And, nobody is "Attacking" her other than criticizing her verbally for the garbage that she spews.

And, she's a fucking hijab wearing Muslim who thinks that people are unfairly referring to Al Qaeta in serious tones while not referring to "America" and "England" in the same way they refer to Al Qaeta and Hizb'Allah. She's a piece of shit and an embarrassment, and she is anti-semitic.

It's not even surprising that she is antisemitic - she comes from an ideological base that is antisemitic, and she thinks the Jews don't belong in the middle east. If people talked about illegal immigrants to the US the way they talk about Jews migrating to the Levant, what the fuck would they call it? My god - you get the same people who are like "no person is illegal - and all should be welcome" on the one hand, saying on the other that "Jews should go back to Europe."
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:07 pm

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Animavore wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:02 pm
My bet is that even if she was assassinated the Republicans on here would still refuse to disassociate with the party.

Omar says she has faced increase in death threats since Trump tweet
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... dONXZIJw3U
Sure she has - let's hear the recordings and see the letters/emails/tweets, etc.

You know who else gets "death threats?" Join the fucking club - it's called "everybody."

This kind of double-talk bullshit is way out of hand. You get Democrats out there calling for people to be harassed at their homes, in restaurants, and at their jobs and that's their right as Americans -- but then Ilhan Omar gets criticized for being the anti-semite, terrorist apologist she is, and that's beyond the pale? Nobody called for her to be harassed. Nobody has said she should be confronted wherever she goes and told "you're not welcome here" - like fucking piece of shit Maxine Waters did. Nobody is laughing as she gets hounded from restaurants and not even allowed to eat in peace.

Oh, my words were criticized and I'm a "woman of color" -- fuck off!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Apparently Omar thinks “America” and “Britain” should be described in the same ominous tones as “Al Qaeda” and “Hezbollah,” or rather, that none of them should be described that way because the whole thing is a big joke. https://www.westernjournal.com/hermanca ... -al-qaeda/

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:18 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:49 am
Forty Two wrote: In 2013, she said that she was tired of hearing people refer to Al Qaeta, Hizb[Allah and other terrorist organizations as if they were "bad things." And, she said that they "don't mean anything evil."
Let's see a quote with full context.
Why don't you go read up on the lady you are leaping to defend!

Or, you know, you could just believe Forty Two...

Is she one of the presidential candidates this time around?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Trump continues his dangerous, racist attack.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguar ... accusation

Republican cowards amd sycophants remain silent.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Does anyone really think Omar favours terrorists over Americans, that she supports imposing an Islamic theocracy over the American constitution?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:31 pm

Yes. Brainwashed Trump cultists.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:30 pm
Does anyone really think Omar favours terrorists over Americans, that she supports imposing an Islamic theocracy over the American constitution?
Was that the criticism leveled against her? Or was she criticized for the actual things she said?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Animavore wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:29 pm
Trump continues his dangerous, racist attack.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguar ... accusation

Republican cowards amd sycophants remain silent.
What's dangerous and racist about it?