Republicans: continued

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Re: Republicans: continued

Post by Tero » Fri May 10, 2019 3:37 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:06 am
How can a so-called 'lawmaker' actually make laws for the benefit of public health if they don't accept the germ-theory of medicine? This sort of errant bum custard make Roy Moore look like a reasonable kind of guy.
It's only a theory! Plus Noah never herded any pairs of germs onto the ark. They perished!
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 10, 2019 4:15 pm

:hehe:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat May 11, 2019 7:31 am

"germ-herder" has potential as a meme

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat May 11, 2019 7:34 am

Petri dishes instead of paddocks?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat May 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun May 12, 2019 3:35 am

Ooff!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun May 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue May 14, 2019 10:22 am

https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed May 15, 2019 12:30 pm

Alabama abortion ban: Republican state senate passes most restrictive law in US
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... 1557885259

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed May 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Heh! Remember when worshippers of Trump here scoffed at those "hysterical", pussy-hatted women and said the US will not go back to the Dark Ages?

I remember.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 15, 2019 12:57 pm

The more the Supreme Court rules against them the better eh?

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Animavore wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:32 pm
Heh! Remember when worshippers of Trump here scoffed at those "hysterical", pussy-hatted women and said the US will not go back to the Dark Ages?

I remember.
Would it be non-Dark Ages to adopt France's view? Abortion to 12 weeks, but after that abortions "are allowed if two physicians certify that the abortion will be done to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman; a risk to the life of the pregnant woman; or that the child will suffer from a particularly severe illness recognized as incurable?" Is that non-dark ages, or is it dark ages?

I see Ireland finally made abortion legal four or five months ago. So progressive of them. And, they allow abortions up to 12 weeks, but after that it's permitted during the first twelve weeks of pregnancy, and later in cases where the pregnant woman's life or health is at risk, or in the cases of a fatal foetal abnormality. Ireland is on the cutting edge, right? Non-dark ages rule there?

Anyway, the Alabama law was passed by democratically elected representatives in the State. That's what the people there want, including the 55% of Alabaman voters who are women. If that's what they want, isn't that what most of you think should happen? I mean this whole notion of a "right" that the majority cannot infringe upon is just an archaic, obsolete American idea anyway - it's all this talk of "freedumb!" and "liberty!" -- such moronic American concepts. What should happen is that the majority will should prevail. Isn't that right?

In the US, of course, the will of the majority is limited by the Constitution and the role of the Supreme Court in striking down legislation passed by popular vote and elected representatives - they overturn the will of the people -- so, given the Supreme Court precedent on point, this law should be struck down as violative of a woman's right to privacy. That would, of course, be overturning the will of the people, though.

So, why do you hate democracy? You're not against Democracy are you? :funny:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed May 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:57 pm
The supreme court which is now dominated by misogynists, rapists, and the religious?

We'll see.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Animavore wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:32 pm

I remember.
Trump runs the Alabama state legislature now?

No such thing as Trump derangement syndrome, no! It really is Trump who controls the Alabama House and Senate!

But for Trump, the people in Alabama would not have elected representatives as they did.

And, pussy hatted women are never hysterical. Who would ever suggest that they were. They are typically level-headed, no-nonsense, highly logical and rational folks, with whom calm and reasonable conversations and discussions can be had on almost any issue.

Anyway, never fear, Animavore, the checks and balances in the US system will come to the rescue and overturn the will of the Alabama people. Thankfully, the right to privacy - the rights existing in the penumbra of the First and Fourth Amendments - they will be enforced to limit the power of the State to legislate on issues effecting women's privacy, including abortion. We have over 50 years of case precedent to that effect. So, the power of the State will be limited and the freedum and liberty of individuals will overcome the power of the majority vote, just as you prefer, right? :biggrin:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Animavore wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:48 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:57 pm
The supreme court which is now dominated by misogynists, rapists, and the religious?

We'll see.
There is a rapist on the Supreme Court?

I'm wondering who you know to be a rapist?

Here are the justices

Chief John Roberts
Elena Kagin
Sonia Sotomayor
Neil Gorsuch
Brett Kavanaugh
Sam Alito
Steven Breyer
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Clarence Thomas

So - would you identify which of these are demonstrated misogyists, which are rapists and which are religious?

IN Planned Parenthood v Casey - the majority of justices in affirmed Roe v Wade's core principle: that the state may not prohibit pre-viability abortions. In other words, the majority will of a State is limited by the concepts discussed in Roe v Wade and other later decisions, including Planned Parenthood v Casey.

The next major decision on abortion was the Carhart case - a case challenging the constitutionality of a Nebraska law prohibiting partial-birth abortion. The term “partial-birth abortion” refers to a procedure known in the medical community as “dilation and extraction” which involves terminating a pregnancy by partially extracting a fetus from a uterus, then collapsing its skull and removing its brain. This procedure is usually performed late in the second trimester, between 20 and 24 weeks into a pregnancy. So, as with most modern, industrialized, democratic nations -- the civilized ones - there are limits to abortion around that time - in the early to mid 20-weeks range - 20 to 24 weeks - because that's far along in the pregnancy -- 6 months x 4 weeks is 24. So, 5-6 months into a pregnancy.... I don't know why almost all civilized countries limit abortions done at and after that time frame - maybe you can explain to me how those enlightened countries do it in an enlightened way.

So, what did Carhart rule? Well, the Supreme Court again overturned the will of the people, this time in Nebraska, and the Court said that the Nebraska law violated the Constitution as interpreted in Casey and Roe. Justice Breyer, delivering the majority opinion, stated that the statute lacked the requisite exception “for the preservation of the … health of the mother.” Citing Casey, Breyer determined that the state may promote but not endanger a woman’s health when it regulates the methods of abortion. So, the Court ruled that the State may not prohibit partially extracting a 5 to 6 month old fetus, collapsing its skull and removing its brain, unless the law provided an exception for the preservation of the health of the mother - not just grave threat to life, but the health of the mother. Many enlightened European countries have stricter laws at this point in the pregnancy, but the US can't have those laws.

The SCOTUS then ruled in another Carhart case - Gonzales v Carhart - that the 2007 federal partial birth abortion bill, which prohibited the partial extraction of a fetus and the crushing of its skull and removal of its brain, and that was upheld. 5-4. So the Court did not overturn the will of the people there, and let the State, through democratically elected Representatives, limit this kind of abortion, 5-6 months into a pregnancy and forward.

There are other State laws that the States have passed trying to regulate abortions, but so far, no law has survived that limits a woman's right to abortion at least through the 12-14 weeks that is the rule in enlightened, advanced, progressive countries like Ireland and France and the UK and such. We don't have the enlightened "two doctor sign off" that the UK requires for women to exercise their right to abortion. In fact, in Europe the concept of there being a "right" to abortion is really considered old and antiquated, and really just an obsolete American concept. There, the progressive, democratic way is preferred where the elected representatives make the laws regulating and restricting abortion services as dictated by the will of the people. So, that's why their abortion restrictions are so much better than any American abortion restrictions.

So, we will see what happens, and if Alabama and Georgia, etc's, laws survive, or if the SCOTUS again overturns (rightly, in my view) the will of the majority. I have confidence that the will of the majority will not be allowed to infringe upon the rights of individuals in the upcoming cases. I just wish we were in a civilized country where there would be no such measure that would limit the power of the state with such dumb-ass concepts as "fundamental rights and liberties" -- all this "Freedum" talk is just "Amerikkka- speak" for racism, oppression and fascism.