"The butt of global jokes": who might this be? (Talk Trump)

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: "The butt of global jokes": who might this be? (Talk Trump)

Post by Hermit » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 pm

DRSB wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:40 pm
And the price of the wine makes a difference too, people tend to rate expensive wines as better.
In 2001, Frédéric Brochet, a researcher from Bordeaux, conducted his own formal study of wine. The results are compelling. Brochet asked 57 wine ‘experts’ to evaluate two glasses of red wine, simple enough. In a science post for Wired.com, Jonah Lehrer, describes the outcomes of Brochet’s study:

“The wines were actually the same white wine, one of which had been tinted red with food coloring. But that didn't stop the experts from describing the "red" wine in language typically used to describe red wines. One expert praised its "jamminess," while another enjoyed its "crushed red fruit." Not a single one noticed it was actually a white wine.

In his second test, Brochet took an average Bordeaux red and poured it into two different bottles. One boasted a grand cru label (an indication of superior quality) and the second bore an ordinary vin du table (peasant wine if you will) label. You can guess the results. “Despite the fact that they were actually being served the exact same wine, the experts gave the differently labeled bottles nearly opposite ratings. The grand cru was "agreeable, woody, complex, balanced and rounded," while the vin du table was "weak, short, light, flat and faulty". Forty experts said the wine with the fancy label was worth drinking, while only 12 said the cheap wine was.”

Brochet notes that, “It is a well-known psychological phenomenon – you taste what you are expecting to taste. They were expecting to taste a red wine, and so they did. What we perceive is a mixture of thought, vision and taste.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/katiebell/ ... 6798343ae2
Paging Devogue... ;)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:44 pm

Trump’s bitch fires other White House bitch
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/13/politi ... cnn.com%2F
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:32 am

Rum wrote:When people here say all modern art is shit I tend to stay quiet. I know it isn't because I have a background in the subject.

Similarly I tend to think that the differences in wine are overblown, snobbish and elitist. But I'm willing to accept that I may just not know enough about the subject. As far as I'm concerned the difference in taste between a ten quid bottle of wine and a thirty quid bottle of wine simply isn't worth twenty quid though.
You don't need anyone to tell you if a wine is good or not. Just pop it in a half-pint mug and sup.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:59 am

Most wine is awful. In fact, I refuse to believe anyone actually likes wine.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:05 am

What a cretin!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:13 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:59 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:05 am
What a cretin!
Sean, this is a warning for calling another member (yourself) a cretin... :what:

But, as far as wine goes, I have a strong fondness for a gutsy shiraz with lots of tannin, pepper notes and loads of tannin... :td:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:18 am

I like some white wines. Prefer beer, though.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:23 am

I prefer beer, even in winter.
Here is a wine joke for you, true story: in Bulgaria, there was an ethnological study about how many folklore songs there are about wine. Guess what, around 500 songs in honour of red wine and only one about white wine that goes something like this: Oh, you white whine, I wish you were red.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 am

White whine - the constant catch-cry of neo-Nazis the world over... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:29 am

JimC wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 am
White whine - the constant catch-cry of neo-Nazis the world over... :tea:
I read somewhere the until the 18th C, all wine was red. White whine is a modern times invention.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:42 am

Hermit wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 pm
DRSB wrote:
And the price of the wine makes a difference too, people tend to rate expensive wines as better.

Paging Devogue... ;)
Having said that, Jonah Lehrer is not the most reliable source, I remember the scandal around him several years ago. I had read his first and second book and notice that the second was the same as the first one under a different title, I also noticed how he was echoing Dan Ariely and Richard Wiseman and the ubiquitous Kahneman and Tversky and thought he underestimated the readers.
Starting in 2012, Lehrer was discovered to have routinely recycled his earlier work, plagiarised widely from colleagues, and misused quotations and facts. His third book, Imagine: How Creativity Works (2012), began the scrutiny when freelance journalist Michael Moynihan identified multiple fabrications including six quotations attributed to musician Bob Dylan. Imagine and Lehrer's earlier book How We Decide (2009) were recalled after a publisher's internal review found significant problems in that material. He was also fired from The New Yorker and Wired. In 2016, Lehrer published A Book About Love, to negative reviews.
(Wikipedia)

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:38 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:59 am
You got that almost completely right. To be 100% correct, just replace 'most' with 'all'. Then I'll totally agree with you.

Also, send any bottles of that awful stuff you encounter in your life to me. Especially the eight year old Clarets and Cabernet Sauvignons. They're the worst! I promise you'll never be disturbed by their presence again.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:58 am

DRSB wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:42 am
Hermit wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:07 pm
DRSB wrote:

Paging Devogue... ;)
Having said that, Jonah Lehrer is not the most reliable source, I remember the scandal around him several years ago. I had read his first and second book and notice that the second was the same as the first one under a different title, I also noticed how he was echoing Dan Ariely and Richard Wiseman and the ubiquitous Kahneman and Tversky and thought he underestimated the readers.
Starting in 2012, Lehrer was discovered to have routinely recycled his earlier work, plagiarised widely from colleagues, and misused quotations and facts. His third book, Imagine: How Creativity Works (2012), began the scrutiny when freelance journalist Michael Moynihan identified multiple fabrications including six quotations attributed to musician Bob Dylan. Imagine and Lehrer's earlier book How We Decide (2009) were recalled after a publisher's internal review found significant problems in that material. He was also fired from The New Yorker and Wired. In 2016, Lehrer published A Book About Love, to negative reviews.
(Wikipedia)
I wasn't being serious.

I have only ever attended two formal wine tasting events (as a freeloader, not a judge). Both were blind tests. The judges never got to see any labels until after they wrote their comments and grades. I kind of conclude from my limited experience that all, or almost all formal wine tastings are conducted that way. Lehrer is a wanker for not mentioning any of this. He should have, even if only as an aside.

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:29 am

We are conditioned to associate price with value, more often than not there is a mismatch, but the price influences our perceptions nonetheless .

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:07 am

I used to take part in plenty of wine tastings (it was a club). It was always blind. I scored always pretty high.
The trouble is once again Americanisation has ruined the wine trade. There are very few vintage years that really stand out. So much has moved into mediocre with a screw top.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".