"The butt of global jokes": who might this be? (Talk Trump)

DRSB

Re: "The butt of global jokes": who might this be? (Talk Trump)

Post by DRSB » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:19 am

Trump’s Interference With Science Is Unprecedented
Experts say that key EPA proposals would meddle with the research process and endanger decades of protective health rules.

The Trump administration is breaking with 75 years of precedent by attempting to interfere in how science is practiced by the U.S. government, according to three experts who issued a dire warning to their profession in the journal Science on Thursday. The administration is empowering political staff to meddle with the scientific process by pushing through reforms disguised to look as though they boost transparency and integrity, the experts say.
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/arc ... e=facebook

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:34 am

This aspect of the Trump presidency is one of the most dangerous and abhorrent...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:32 am

Orange man bad. :coffee:

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:47 am

JimC wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:17 am
Well, dealing with North Korea is not something any US politician can do easily - it may actually be one of those unsolvable problems...
If there's no solution, it's not a problem, it's a difficulty, and much harder to overcome, in a way that likely won't solve much to boot.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Cunt face is still insulting Macron.

Trump ramps up Macron spat by mocking France in world wars
President also boasts of ‘excellent’ US wines and says Parisians started to learn German before US saved them from occupation

On Trade, France makes excellent wine, but so does the U.S. The problem is that France makes it very hard for the U.S. to sell its wines into France, and charges big Tariffs, whereas the U.S. makes it easy for French wines, and charges very small Tariffs. Not fair, must change!
Which Frenchman would ever buy American crap. Not all Americans are completely uncivilised like himself and can appreciate a good wine.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:52 pm

There are some excellent wines from Napa Valley California that can rival the best France produces.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Sorry Jason. That is a disillusionment. We are not talking about non vintage young wine. You just dont have the history. For white wine I would buy German or French any time in preference to American but I would buy anything before buying American. California has only chemical plants.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Well of course, if you're talking about vintages that are 50 years old or more then there's no comparison. I was referring more to the sort you might serve at a dinner with friends, not your 50th wedding anniversary.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Jason wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:10 pm
Well of course, if you're talking about vintages that are 50 years old or more then there's no comparison. I was referring more to the sort you might serve at a dinner with friends, not your 50th wedding anniversary.
You dont have to drink 50 year old vintage to notice the difference. I like to taste the area where it comes from not just the grape. With friends I serve good stuff but only to myself do I serve vintage. No point wasting it.:lol:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:48 pm
Cunt face is still insulting Macron.

Trump ramps up Macron spat by mocking France in world wars
President also boasts of ‘excellent’ US wines and says Parisians started to learn German before US saved them from occupation

On Trade, France makes excellent wine, but so does the U.S. The problem is that France makes it very hard for the U.S. to sell its wines into France, and charges big Tariffs, whereas the U.S. makes it easy for French wines, and charges very small Tariffs. Not fair, must change!
Which Frenchman would ever buy American crap. Not all Americans are completely uncivilised like himself and can appreciate a good wine.
well, orange scrote can insult cunt face all he wants, I"m not gonna mind... but seriously, comparing our wines with theirs, it's silly.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:49 pm

Jason wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:52 pm
There are some excellent wines from Napa Valley California that can rival the best France produces.
An American friend of mine says that Napa is shit, but Sonoma does excellent stuff, I still have trouble comparing the latter with a good burgundy.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:19 pm

When people here say all modern art is shit I tend to stay quiet. I know it isn't because I have a background in the subject.

Similarly I tend to think that the differences in wine are overblown, snobbish and elitist. But I'm willing to accept that I may just not know enough about the subject. As far as I'm concerned the difference in taste between a ten quid bottle of wine and a thirty quid bottle of wine simply isn't worth twenty quid though.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:27 pm

How would the president know about wine? Fox new anchors drink wine? News to me.

Careful Trump. This talk about wine will alienate your white working class! More Bud light!
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:12 pm

He is certainly an expert on whine...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

DRSB

Post by DRSB » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:40 pm

Rum wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:19 pm
When people here say all modern art is shit I tend to stay quiet. I know it isn't because I have a background in the subject.

Similarly I tend to think that the differences in wine are overblown, snobbish and elitist. But I'm willing to accept that I may just not know enough about the subject. As far as I'm concerned the difference in taste between a ten quid bottle of wine and a thirty quid bottle of wine simply isn't worth twenty quid though.
And the price of the wine makes a difference too, people tend to rate expensive wines as better.
In 2001, Frédéric Brochet, a researcher from Bordeaux, conducted his own formal study of wine. The results are compelling. Brochet asked 57 wine ‘experts’ to evaluate two glasses of red wine, simple enough. In a science post for Wired.com, Jonah Lehrer, describes the outcomes of Brochet’s study:

“The wines were actually the same white wine, one of which had been tinted red with food coloring. But that didn't stop the experts from describing the "red" wine in language typically used to describe red wines. One expert praised its "jamminess," while another enjoyed its "crushed red fruit." Not a single one noticed it was actually a white wine.

In his second test, Brochet took an average Bordeaux red and poured it into two different bottles. One boasted a grand cru label (an indication of superior quality) and the second bore an ordinary vin du table (peasant wine if you will) label. You can guess the results. “Despite the fact that they were actually being served the exact same wine, the experts gave the differently labeled bottles nearly opposite ratings. The grand cru was "agreeable, woody, complex, balanced and rounded," while the vin du table was "weak, short, light, flat and faulty". Forty experts said the wine with the fancy label was worth drinking, while only 12 said the cheap wine was.”

Brochet notes that, “It is a well-known psychological phenomenon – you taste what you are expecting to taste. They were expecting to taste a red wine, and so they did. What we perceive is a mixture of thought, vision and taste.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/katiebell/ ... 6798343ae2