You better run! Hurricane Florence!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

You better run! Hurricane Florence!

Post by Forty Two » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:05 pm

“The waves and the wind this storm may bring is nothing like you’ve ever seen. Even if you’ve ridden out storms before, this one is different. Don’t bet your life on riding out a monster," cried the wolf, err, I mean, Gov. Roy Cooper.

The hurricane forecast shows this hitting at about 100 mph maximum sustained winds at its worst point. The winds slow down markedly as one goes out from the center. It quite possibly could almost immediately downgrade to a tropical storm as the eye hits land.

Prediction: This is not a storm of a lifetime.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: You better run! Hurricane Florence!

Post by laklak » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:16 pm

I think the real problem is how slow it's moving, it's going to dump one shitton of rain. Current track prediction has it taking 48 hours to cross South Carolina. Last year we had a lot more damage from the "no name" storm 2 weeks before Irma than we did from Irma itself, it rained pretty much non-stop for 10 days.

I sincerely hope it's over-hyped, I'd fucking hate to have our boat moored up there. But, better over than under, there are a lot of people who have never ridden out a storm.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:28 pm

People with property on the coast need to take steps to protect it, to be sure. However, the news and weather people are going to scare the fuck out of 5 million people for no good reason.

Every time they look at the storm out at sea, now that we have real time technology with crystal clear imagery of the storm over the ocean, and they launch into tirades as if it remains that way when it hits the coast.

Last year, I had to cave to my panicked wife to drive up to fucking Atlanta because every hotel between here and there was sold out. We had the hurricane go right over us - the eye was probably 15 miles away. Our neighborhood and most of the surrounding area (except the more fragile housing and older neighborhoods) never lost power.

We were sitting up in fucking Atlanta, and the 'cane had just passed central florida and the experts had closed down Georgia, pretty much, saying that it was a "state of emergency" and warning people that the hurricane was coming. Looking at the news, the storm was swirling and huge - lots of green and yellow radar imagery -- we got on the road and drove right through it ---

....it being a light rain, and a bit breezy. The only problem was that the state of emergency closed down most of the businesses, so we couldn't get a fucking hamburger on the ride home, and it's a good thing we didn't have to fill up with gas because most gas stations were closed.

We hit zero traffic, though, and those that waited another 12 to 24 hours to head back sat in traffic for an extra 6 hours on the freeway.

They showed the damn storm hitting the keys and the panicked news reporters couldn't believe the people who stayed there on the keys. The residents were like "I'm not leaving, dipshit. If I leave, they close the road behind us and we can't get back in for days or weeks." The people that staid there, when the storm hit landfall, were fine. And, that was another one of these "storms of the century" which global warming has brought upon is...nothing like we've ever seen before.

The storm hit landfall on one day, and the bars were open on key west in 48 hours.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:26 pm

Harvey wasn't much of a hurricane, but it dropped the most rain the US has ever seen. People are still rebuilding in Houston. The weather being what it is means that they have to tell you how dangerous the situation is, even if there is a chance it could quickly become less dangerous. What you do with that information is on you.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:26 pm
Harvey wasn't much of a hurricane, but it dropped the most rain the US has ever seen. People are still rebuilding in Houston. The weather being what it is means that they have to tell you how dangerous the situation is, even if there is a chance it could quickly become less dangerous. What you do with that information is on you.
They don't give the complete information.

Telling people "...I'm really worried about this one...it's like nothing we've ever seen..." when in fact it's pretty typical of a fairly strong Atlantic hurricane - and we've had hurricane seasons every year....

What storm is not going to get harried and stressed urges to evacuate and dire warnings that this storm is unlike anything we've ever seen before?

What they should do is stop the over-the-top panic-warnings, and do detailed explanations of the reports on the hurricane from the national hurricane center.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:46 pm

I watch what happens in the South China Sea, having links to Hong Kong. Massive typhoon (Cantonese for literally 'big wind' incidentally in case you ever wondered).

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hea ... t-powerful

"Super Typhoon Mangkhut predicted to be most powerful storm since records began and presents ‘great danger to Hong Kong’"

The last place I lived in there when I was in my late teens was on the 14th floor of a block of flats. During typhoons the building would rock. You could feel it sway and it was extremely alarming even if you knew it was designed to do so. These days they are building 50 floor blocks of apartments. I can only speculate with horror what it is like at the top of one of those in a 170 mile and hour wind.
Last edited by Rum on Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:48 pm

ABC national news is the worst, with that David Muir asshat. He reads the news like reality TV talks about hunting Bigfoot. I can see him holding a flashlight under his chin in a dark forest "DID YOU SEE THAT????". I listen to the local weathermen, Paul Dellagatto out of Tampa and our Sarasota guy, Bob Harrigan. This is our local local guy, Justin Mosley, on Sarasota News Network.

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:52 pm

It's the sharkpocalypse!
Florence sharks.jpg

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:01 pm

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:17 pm

"You can't survive it". LOL. If that were true we'd still be rebuilding Miami after Andrew and New Orleans would be a lake.

I'd definitely get out of Dodge if a Cat 4 was hitting us, we're too close to the water for comfort. Maybe even a big Cat 3, but anything under that and I'll get out the sandbags and generator. I've already got the beer, Spam, and a window unit A/C.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Yeah, I'm going to evaluate a generator for the house. I really want to get one that is a permanent fixture on the house, and wired into the breaker box so it can come on and be strong enough to run most, if not all, of the house. I also want hurricane shutters put in, so it's easy to just slide the piece over the window. Fairly pricey projects, though.

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:45 pm

Yeah, particularly if you want the genny to run the central A/C, you'll need around 20kw, maybe more. I've got a 6kw, it will run everything including two small window units, but not the water heater, pool, and A/C. It's still on extension cords, I haven't backfed the breaker box yet. Legally you need an electrician to do that work and my neighbor is a county building inspector, so I have to do it at night. It was on the list of shit to do before the next hurricane season, but you know how that goes.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:13 pm

A serious problem with constantly over-hyped reports (if that is the case in Florida, which it seems to be) is the "little boy who cried wolf" effect. Sometime in the future, with a really dangerous one coming, people will remember past unnecessary warnings and fail to protect themselves when they need to...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:05 pm
“The waves and the wind this storm may bring is nothing like you’ve ever seen. Even if you’ve ridden out storms before, this one is different. Don’t bet your life on riding out a monster," cried the wolf, err, I mean, Gov. Roy Cooper.

The hurricane forecast shows this hitting at about 100 mph maximum sustained winds at its worst point. The winds slow down markedly as one goes out from the center. It quite possibly could almost immediately downgrade to a tropical storm as the eye hits land.

Prediction: This is not a storm of a lifetime.
It's fine. Our Cretin-in-Chief will toss some paper towels to the survivors and all will be well. Best hurricane response ever, as per usual with Team Trump :tea:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

laklak

Post by laklak » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:49 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:13 pm
A serious problem with constantly over-hyped reports (if that is the case in Florida, which it seems to be) is the "little boy who cried wolf" effect. Sometime in the future, with a really dangerous one coming, people will remember past unnecessary warnings and fail to protect themselves when they need to...
Fuckin' A. I think the Reptilian Overlords are doing it on purpose, so when the asteroid they launched 200 years ago hits us we'll just sit here arguing over racist cartoons.

Seriously, it's a problem. We'll get a real nasty Cat 4 with teeth and they'll just sit there.

Still too early to call, the forecast changes a couple of times a day. Now it's a Cat 3 with a 9-13 foot storm surge. Downtown Charleston will get a bit wet, if I lived there I'd be prepared to GTFO.