Kavanaugh hearing

Post Reply
User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50232
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:44 pm

This is what happens when you get hyper-partisan politics. 42 sees partisanism in everything. Maybe the rest of us would too if we lived under the crazy politics that the yanks are living under now.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 61932
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by JimC » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:06 am

Epistemology is the name of the game. A careful, rational account of the nature of knowledge, and where the concepts of "facts", "truth" and many others fit in. Science doesn't have a monopoly on human ways of thinking in the broadest sense, but it is the only serious player when it comes to explaining the nature of the physical universe...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
Tero
Just saying
Posts: 28264
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:50 pm
About me: Something something birds
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Tero » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:16 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:44 pm
This is what happens when you get hyper-partisan politics. 42 sees partisanism in everything. Maybe the rest of us would too if we lived under the crazy politics that the yanks are living under now.
Right now all of US politics can be reduced to ”lower taxes and less government.” That is the Republican mantra. But you have to throw in some Jesus guns and babies normally, but the two big ones are now lumped with ”foreigners”, China etc by Trump. Babies were used to slip in Kavanaugh, though he in fact favors corporations over people. Trump is a corporation. He has no idea what a gallon of milk costs. Maybe a can of Diet Coke, or a liter.
:funny:
http://karireport.blogspot.com/ (:_funny_:)
http://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Dominus vo-bisque'em Et cum spear a tu-tu, oh!

User avatar
Seabass
Posts: 4497
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:32 pm
About me: Natural instinct for science
Location: The Cleanest Climate in the World
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Seabass » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:34 am

Hermit wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:19 pm
5. Iridology
6. Reflexology
I had to google those. WTF... :?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflexology

So iridology is a bit like palm reading, but even more ludicrous. Reflexology is probably just a way for foot perverts to scam women into letting them fondle their feet.
The demagogue is one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots. ―H.L. Mencken

Bad government is the natural product of rule by those who believe government is bad. —Thomas Frank

Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. —Einstein
I’m a nationalist. —Trump

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country. —Hermann Göring

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 8270
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Cunt » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:11 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:38 pm
Cunt wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:16 pm
What's your goal Cunt? Are you a man that believes in making things better?
My goal here is to try to understand things which are a lot more difficult to talk about in meatspace.

With you, it is to tease out your hilarious bias against republicans - partly because it is entertaining, but also because you still might be right about some things.

How about you, Sean Hayden? Are you a man that believes in making things better?
I do believe in making things better. I'm not sure about you though. You seem to be a one trick pony that's focused on rubbing people's faces in what you think is their hypocrisy, without doing much to forward your own thoughts or even offer substance that would justify the comments you level at people.

So what's the deal Cunt, are you just a fucking Cunt?
I guess this suggests that you think you were hypocritical about something, and felt I had metaphorically rubbed your face in it.

Since its pretty vague, I can't be sure exactly why you made the comment. My guess would be fear of direct communication.
Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:40 pm
I think we should all resist the urge to get baity on this, because it is a very serious and important matter. So, from the last couple of pages of discussion, am I to assume that the broadest consensus on the findings and ramifications of current climate science has now been placed in the 'of the left' category, and as such is now to be automatically opposed by the right? Is this where we've got to?
At the extremes, yes.

I don't disagree with climate change claims, for the most part. (it's a lot of claims, I don't even know what they are specifically)

Where I get disagreeable and suspicious is when the Trump team, (or Trudeau team) starts decreeing that a specific tax would be the best way to solve this.

Somewhere in the middle, there are a lot of accusations (made for, I think, political reasons) of 'denying climate science'.

It doesn't do much to convince me of anything, aside from the prevalence of dishonest tactics by some claiming the intellectual high ground. Not exactly 'scientific', except maybe in the 'political science' kind of way.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists


Hermit aka Seraph wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:25 pm
placed himself within a swinging arm's distance from said antifas

User avatar
Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart
Posts: 8270
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 am
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Cunt » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 am

Seabass wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:34 am

So iridology is a bit like palm reading, but even more ludicrous. Reflexology is probably just a way for foot perverts to scam women into letting them fondle their feet.
I started thinking everything at the 'Integrated Clinic - where science and nature blend' was bullshit, and am trying to get massage (the title is 'RMT') over the 'bullshit' line. Can't find anything they do which is measurably better than a nap.

Or a handy.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists


Hermit aka Seraph wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:25 pm
placed himself within a swinging arm's distance from said antifas

User avatar
Sean Hayden
Microagressor
Posts: 11231
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:55 pm
About me: philobarbaros
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:49 am

I was responding to yet another of your questions, this time aimed at Tero.

I see you've just asked Brian two more in another thread. :roll:
shut up

User avatar
pErvinalia
Off his meds
Posts: 50232
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:08 pm
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'
Location: dystopia
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:50 am

Cunt wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:11 am
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:38 pm
Cunt wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:16 pm
What's your goal Cunt? Are you a man that believes in making things better?
My goal here is to try to understand things which are a lot more difficult to talk about in meatspace.

With you, it is to tease out your hilarious bias against republicans - partly because it is entertaining, but also because you still might be right about some things.

How about you, Sean Hayden? Are you a man that believes in making things better?
I do believe in making things better. I'm not sure about you though. You seem to be a one trick pony that's focused on rubbing people's faces in what you think is their hypocrisy, without doing much to forward your own thoughts or even offer substance that would justify the comments you level at people.

So what's the deal Cunt, are you just a fucking Cunt?
I guess this suggests that you think you were hypocritical about something, and felt I had metaphorically rubbed your face in it.

Since its pretty vague, I can't be sure exactly why you made the comment. My guess would be fear of direct communication.
Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:40 pm
I think we should all resist the urge to get baity on this, because it is a very serious and important matter. So, from the last couple of pages of discussion, am I to assume that the broadest consensus on the findings and ramifications of current climate science has now been placed in the 'of the left' category, and as such is now to be automatically opposed by the right? Is this where we've got to?
At the extremes, yes.

I don't disagree with climate change claims, for the most part. (it's a lot of claims, I don't even know what they are specifically)

Where I get disagreeable and suspicious is when the Trump team, (or Trudeau team) starts decreeing that a specific tax would be the best way to solve this.

Somewhere in the middle, there are a lot of accusations (made for, I think, political reasons) of 'denying climate science'.

It doesn't do much to convince me of anything, aside from the prevalence of dishonest tactics by some claiming the intellectual high ground. Not exactly 'scientific', except maybe in the 'political science' kind of way.
A tax on carbon is a good start, as it means less carbon will be consumed.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"My penis is VERY small" - Cunt.

User avatar
Joe
Posts: 1838
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:10 am
Location: The Hovel under the Mountain
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Joe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:40 am

Cunt wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:39 pm
Joe wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 am
The trouble with Trump's rhetoric on the media isn't the Fox News talking points, it's him repeating shit Robespierre and Lenin said, like "enemy of the People." Those tagged with that moniker haven't fared well in the past, so yes, I think it's dangerous for a President to throw around.
:lynchmob:
Yeah. It reminds me of the 'deplorables'.
How many did Hillary end up sending to the guillotine? At least a basket full?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"as far as strong, i am hard as a rock and tough as a nail. no one will bring me down. no one. i am the debonator. the tnt. and jesus has my back door pal!" - D. C. Bockemehl
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 20590
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Hermit » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:17 am

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:55 pm
What good comes of shutting down the climate debate by saying "the science is settled" (when science is never settled) and that those who oppose the political courses of action suggested by left wing factions are "deniers"
The tobacco lobby has called. It wants you to work for the industry it represents and offers a generous salary.

Seriously, the fossil fuel industry has acknowledged anthropogenic global warming decades ago. Insurance companies include anthropogenic global warming as a factor when they calculate premiums they need to charge in order to not go bankrupt. Who the fuck is left that does not regard it as any less settled than that smoking tobacco causes cancer? I can only think of the poor sods that got sucked in by the fossil fuel industry's paid shills who lie through their teeth and people like you, who'd rather see nothing done about it because the currently proposed and existing counter-measures are deemed the spawns of evil socialism.

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Hermit wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:17 am
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:55 pm
What good comes of shutting down the climate debate by saying "the science is settled" (when science is never settled) and that those who oppose the political courses of action suggested by left wing factions are "deniers"
The tobacco lobby has called. It wants you to work for the industry it represents and offers a generous salary.
The temperance movement called. It wants you to help tell other people what to drink.
Hermit wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:17 am

Seriously, the fossil fuel industry has acknowledged anthropogenic global warming decades ago.
So?
Hermit wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:17 am

Insurance companies include anthropogenic global warming as a factor when they calculate premiums they need to charge in order to not go bankrupt. Who the fuck is left that does not regard it as any less settled than that smoking tobacco causes cancer? I can only think of the poor sods that got sucked in by the fossil fuel industry's paid shills who lie through their teeth and people like you, who'd rather see nothing done about it because the currently proposed and existing counter-measures are deemed the spawns of evil socialism.
Insurance companies also took into account litigation risks associated with breast implants, but that whole litigation industry turned out to be based on junk science.

I don't prefer to see "nothing done" about it. There is a lot I would suggest be done about it. You confuse "not panicking" and "not pointing and declaring 'heresy!' every time someone doesn't think the sky is falling" with not accepting science and not wanting to apparent problems addressed.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Forty Two
Posts: 14978
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.
Location: The Of Color Side of the Moon
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Forty Two » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:43 pm

Joe wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:40 am
Cunt wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:39 pm
Joe wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 am
The trouble with Trump's rhetoric on the media isn't the Fox News talking points, it's him repeating shit Robespierre and Lenin said, like "enemy of the People." Those tagged with that moniker haven't fared well in the past, so yes, I think it's dangerous for a President to throw around.
:lynchmob:
Yeah. It reminds me of the 'deplorables'.
How many did Hillary end up sending to the guillotine? At least a basket full?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

User avatar
Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
Posts: 24083
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am
About me: Ablate me:
Location: Location: Location:
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:46 pm

So did Mr Kavanaugh do 'a Sessions' and lie under oath or not?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT
.

User avatar
Joe
Posts: 1838
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:10 am
Location: The Hovel under the Mountain
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Joe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:43 pm
Joe wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:40 am
Cunt wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:39 pm
Joe wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:38 am
The trouble with Trump's rhetoric on the media isn't the Fox News talking points, it's him repeating shit Robespierre and Lenin said, like "enemy of the People." Those tagged with that moniker haven't fared well in the past, so yes, I think it's dangerous for a President to throw around.
:lynchmob:
Yeah. It reminds me of the 'deplorables'.
How many did Hillary end up sending to the guillotine? At least a basket full?
So, a bunch of powerless Commie twats mouthing off on the street tell us what about the exercise of Presidential rhetorical power in a historical context?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"as far as strong, i am hard as a rock and tough as a nail. no one will bring me down. no one. i am the debonator. the tnt. and jesus has my back door pal!" - D. C. Bockemehl
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 20590
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Hermit » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:40 pm
Hermit wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:17 am
Forty Two wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:55 pm
What good comes of shutting down the climate debate by saying "the science is settled" (when science is never settled) and that those who oppose the political courses of action suggested by left wing factions are "deniers"
The tobacco lobby has called. It wants you to work for the industry it represents and offers a generous salary.
The temperance movement called. It wants you to help tell other people what to drink.
My comment was a reply to your statement that science is never settled, which is indeed an argument enthusiastically embraced by anthropogenic global warming "sceptics". An internal memo from the Brown and Williamson tobacco company put it this way: “Doubt is our product, since it is the best means of competing with the ‘body of fact’ that exists in the minds of the general public”. The fossil fuel industry copied the strategy. From the American Petroleum Institute's 1998 memorandum presenting a roadmap for climate deception: "Victory will be achieved when average citizens "understand" (recognize) uncertainties in climate science; recognition of uncertainties becomes part of the "conventional wisdom"". And you have just echoed the very same: "Science is never settled." Well done, Coito Two. We've always known whose side you are on. There really was no need to to confirm it, but thanks just the same.

By the way, I agree that science is never settled, but sometimes its provisional conclusions are firm enough, as is the case with the dangers of smoking tobacco, and 97% of climatologists argue - also with the case of blowing CO2 into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels, that denial becomes ridiculous and spreading doubt criminal. Once we make it a capital offence I will happily volunteer to put you against the wall. :mrgreen: :razzle:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests