Kavanaugh hearing

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Kavanaugh hearing

Post by Forty Two » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:47 pm

To be diverse, we must all have the same views. Image
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Tero wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:05 pm
Forty Two wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:24 pm
Tero wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:57 am
Isn’t this Kavaughnaugh herring over yet? There is almost no reversing it unless Dems take House and Senate. The previous harrasser, Thomas ”pubic hair on Coke can” is still on the court.
Don't forget, he supposedly talked about Long Dong Silver. That's bound to give anyone fits and PTSD. He should have just knitted a "long dong" hat and worn it around. That way it would have been a sign of liberation, not harassment.
Ideal republican candidate: conservative, yet black. Claiming diversity!
Does this mean you expect there is some conflict between a candidate being conservative and being black?

You Finns really love to focus on race. Almost as much as Democrats.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:16 pm

What's your goal Cunt? Are you a man that believes in making things better?

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:19 pm

Cunt is crazy. You'll come to realize that in time.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:16 pm
My goal here is to try to understand things which are a lot more difficult to talk about in meatspace.

With you, it is to tease out your hilarious bias against republicans - partly because it is entertaining, but also because you still might be right about some things.

How about you, Sean Hayden? Are you a man that believes in making things better?
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:09 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Can you see why that's not the same as criticizing the media in general, and why it adds to the believability of the claim that he's dangerous?
Not sure I follow you. Please provide examples of Trump using "Fox News rhetoric" which is not also a legitimate criticism of something bogus CNN or MSNBC or some other news source reported wrongly.
Enemy of the people.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Śiva wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:55 pm
Are you contending, Brian, that 'facts' are only of a scientific nature and there can be no other kind?
List some facts that aren't of a scientific nature or logically determined.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:38 pm

Cunt wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:23 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:16 pm
My goal here is to try to understand things which are a lot more difficult to talk about in meatspace.

With you, it is to tease out your hilarious bias against republicans - partly because it is entertaining, but also because you still might be right about some things.

How about you, Sean Hayden? Are you a man that believes in making things better?
I do believe in making things better. I'm not sure about you though. You seem to be a one trick pony that's focused on rubbing people's faces in what you think is their hypocrisy, without doing much to forward your own thoughts or even offer substance that would justify the comments you level at people.

So what's the deal Cunt, are you just a fucking Cunt?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:41 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:50 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:40 pm
:lol: when you ask Americans if evolution is real I want a majority to say yes. I think if most of them understand the process of science we can get there.

Is that really so horrible? -how?
If most Americans were scientifically literate, most would have zero emotional investment into the reality or non-reality of the theory of evolution and/or one of its iterations.

Most don't understand the process of science, and expression of a belief in one topic or another is not in any sense an indication that the person has any real understanding of the process.

Rather infuriating are the "studies" graduates, who think they have some scientific understanding when they haven't even studied first year hard sciences. Half the people (conservatively) pontificating about global warming don't even know what Newtonian physics formulas, kinematic equations, or the universal law of gravitation are.

The conclusion of "believing" in evolution isn't the important part. Somebody blew up the entire scientific community by proving the Steady State Theory incorrect. That was "settled" science - and the "consensus." The smartest people in the world thought they had the right idea.
But science has proven to be the best method for generating knowledge and answering questions about our existence. What would you rather throw your lot in with (while not understanding the specifics of various theories), scientific consensus or ignorant rubes who are taken for a ride by parties invested in short term profit over scientific advancement?
Last edited by pErvinalia on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:47 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:36 pm
Śiva wrote:
Are you contending, Brian, that 'facts' are only of a scientific nature and there can be no other kind?
Napoleon was from Corsica.

Hunter S. Thompson was a journalist.

The symbol of the Republican party is an elephant.

There. Some facts for you.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:49 pm

Śiva wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:19 pm
Cunt is crazy. You'll come to realize that in time.
:lol: :potd:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Śiva wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:47 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Śiva wrote:
Napoleon was from Corsica.

Hunter S. Thompson was a journalist.

The symbol of the Republican party is an elephant.

There. Some facts for you.
Fair enough. That's just the study of history, though, which becomes less reliable the further back you go, and also largely depends on the victors writing it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:19 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Śiva wrote:
There's a long list of them.

2. Chemtrails
3. Homoeopathy
4. Intelligent design
5. Iridology
6. Reflexology

I leave you to continue the list, but not before mentioning #1. It's a doozy:

1. Causality
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:32 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:53 pm
Śiva wrote:...

I'm not saying that 'scientific literacy' is a bad thing per se, only that it needs to be understood that scientific 'facts' are often in flux and should not be taken for absolute truth.
To understand the provisional nature of scientific truths requires scientific literacy.
Śiva wrote: In no way do I support the use of scientific 'facts' to dictate policy.
What other kinds of 'facts' should be taken into consideration?
Śiva wrote:The final decision should always be in the hands of the people.
On what basis can the people come to a rational decision if not on the basis of the 'facts'?

Śiva wrote:
I'm not contending. I made an observation and asked a couple of questions. You placed the word 'facts' in quotes - by which I took you to mean that scientific facts were/are a special category of knowledge and understanding, or something separate or aside from other kinds of more regular, everyday knowledge and understanding. My inclination was to ask some questions which might get at what you actually mean by 'facts', and what you might mean by 'facts' in the scientific context.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:40 pm

I think we should all resist the urge to get baity on this, because it is a very serious and important matter. So, from the last couple of pages of discussion, am I to assume that the broadest consensus on the findings and ramifications of current climate science has now been placed in the 'of the left' category, and as such is now to be automatically opposed by the right? Is this where we've got to?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT