Trade wars - shooting yourself in the foot.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Trade wars - shooting yourself in the foot.

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:24 pm

The point of bringing up wages is to counter the notion that I should give any fucks at all about corporations hit by the tariffs.

This is important because we are again being told that hurting these guys hurts us, without a discussion of the incredible gains they've made which haven't helped us.

--//--

The point of researching papers like this was to tease out what they're really worried about. There are several claims in it to test and it'll take me a bit longer than you apparently. :hehe:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Trade wars - shooting yourself in the foot.

Post by Hermit » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:56 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:24 pm
The point of bringing up wages is to counter the notion that I should give any fucks at all about corporations hit by the tariffs.

This is important because we are again being told that hurting these guys hurts us, without a discussion of the incredible gains they've made which haven't helped us.
I'm with you on that. Hopefully you will have noticed that I don't expect wages to rise if tariffs were abolished. That's not how the system works. it's asymmetric. Increased profits are pocketed by the shareholders. Increased costs are passed on to the consumers. We have an overabundance of empirical evidence for that. And yet not only have we a sufficient number of sheep who vote for the wolf to become their shepherd, but also plenty who will act as Praetorian guards for the entire wolf pack. The ones capable of rudimentary thinking call themselves libertarians, liberals or democrats. Suckers.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould