British News (Non Trump for a change)

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

British News (Non Trump for a change)

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:33 am

Primary school children affected by hygiene poverty, charity finds
One in four families surveyed have gone without toiletries because of financial difficulties
===============
Deaths of mentally ill rough sleepers in London rise sharply
Research finds 80% of rough sleepers who died in capital in 2017 had mental health needs compared with 29% in 2010
==============
Well surprise surprise tax raises needed for the NHS to be dropped.

Theresa May ready to ditch tax pledges to pay for NHS funding plans
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: British News (Non Trump for a change)

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:18 am

It's not all doom and gloom, I had some lovely fruit cake today.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:04 am

Imagine most of the'mentally ill' were druggies on spice. It wasn't around in 2010. Quite lethal ol' spice. :?
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:29 am

Just say no to drugs kids.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:04 am

...except the fun ones...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Nice to know:

Gosport hospital: more than 450 patients died due to opioid drugs policy
Inquiry says up to 200 more patients’ lives were shortened due to over-prescription of opioids

More than 450 patients died and possibly 200 more had their lives shortened because of a Hampshire hospital’s practice of giving opioid drugs without medical justification, a major inquiry has found.

The independent report found that Dr Jane Barton, the GP who ran wards at Gosport War Memorial hospital, routinely overprescribed drugs for her patients in the 1990s. Consultants were aware of her actions but did not intervene.

The inquiry, led by the bishop of Liverpool, James Jones, found that 456 patients died because of the drugs. A further 200 patients may have had their lives shortened, but their records are missing.
One way of solving some of the NHS's problems.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Regarding the hygiene - I mean, of British adults, I think I read that only about 1/2 of them shower daily anyway. So, I would imagine they're sending their kids to school on many days without having showered. Here's an article saying a majority of UK women don't bathe or shower daily: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 65854.html "The survey also showed that as many as one in three women admitted that they had gone as long as three days without washing or wiping their face or body at all. Some 57 per cent of women acknowledged the importance of hygiene, but said that they didn't have the time to shower or bathe before bed, and instead opted to freshen up with wipes." Gross!

Well, if nearly 60% of women are "freshening with wipes" instead of showering, it's not surprising that they aren't bathing their kids either. And, if they can afford "wipes", why can't they afford a bar of soap?

And, apparently, a large percentage of Brits are re-wearing dirty clothes, and sleeping in dirty bedclothes. https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/li ... bed-sheets

Brazilians, on the other hand, shower on average twice per day (morning and evening). Quite a clean people. Americans are generally on the daily+ end of the spectrum, not nearly as many as the Brazilians, but at least daily.

I wonder if the percentages of kids showing up unwashed really is much different from the adult population? It would make sense if kids aren't washing, since they're parents apparently aren't either, at least not daily.

I have a suspicion about the "because parents can't afford to buy soap and laundry detergent" conclusion here. I mean, did the parents SAY they can't afford soap? 4 in 10 Brits can't afford soap? Other stats say like 75% of Brits pay for subscription cable or satellite tv or video on demand. So, how many people who can't "afford" a 40 pence bar of soap, and 30 pence tube of cheap toothpaste? Sure, the name brands can cost more, but are they saying that 40% of the British population is so destitute, they can't spend a few pounds a month on hygiene products?

Sounds iffy.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Sounds like poor people everywhere to me. I don't know anyone who doesn't shower every day.

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:01 pm

How Often You Really Need To Shower (According To Science)

Two dermatologists tell BuzzFeed Life that most Americans shower way more than is necessary.
According to Dr. Joshua Zeichner, assistant professor of dermatology at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, how frequently we shower and what we perceive as body odor is "really more of a cultural phenomenon." Boston dermatologist Dr. Ranella Hirsch echoes this sentiment. "We overbathe in this country and that's really important to realize," she says. "A lot of the reason we do it is because of societal norms."

And those norms are mainly the result of good advertising.

After the Civil War, both advertising and "toilet soap" (i.e., soap for the body) became more prevalent in the United States, says Katherine Ashenburg, author of The Dirt on Clean: An Unsanitized History. "Americans turned out to be much more gullible and susceptible to these things than Europeans," Ashenburg tells BuzzFeed Life.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:05 pm

To me, it would only be excessive if you were having a shower more than once a day...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:10 pm

JimC wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:05 pm
To me, it would only be excessive if you were having a shower more than once a day...
In Brazil they have to wash off that oil the spread all over their thighs....and tits....and

..excuse me - I need to go to the bathroom all of a sudden..
Last edited by Rum on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:12 pm

PsychoSerenity wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:01 pm
"Americans turned out to be much more gullible and susceptible to these things than Europeans," Ashenburg tells BuzzFeed Life.
What the...? I shower everyday because I feel gross and get BO if I don't. Not because of gullibility and susceptibility. Maybe beautiful, clean, caucasian Europeans can shower less, but I'm an oily, greasy, ethnic motherfucker.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:16 pm

JimC wrote:
It can get up to 110F/43C where I live. When it's that hot, I'll shower twice. I'm quick about it though, so I don't waste water.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:03 am

JimC wrote:
Showering is not not cleansing especially if you use chemicals to clean your skin.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:04 am

Seabass wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:16 pm
JimC wrote:
It can get up to 110F/43C where I live. When it's that hot, I'll shower twice. I'm quick about it though, so I don't waste water.
You are destroying your natural defences. Clean sweat does not smell.