British News (Non Trump for a change)

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: British News (Non Trump for a change)

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:31 am

Clothing is very important and the modern wash machine and modern washing materials have made massive differences.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:54 am

mistermack wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:28 pm
Yeah, and they all died at a ripe old age - in their 30s.
That's a mis-reading of statistics. It's infant mortality that drags down human life expectation figures in primitive societies. That, and death in childbirth.
There's no evidence to show that high numbers died in their 30s, even though they lived in much more dangerous times. I suppose predators took some sort of toll, as well as rival clans, so it would have been higher than today. But it's not likely that it was lack of showering that did it.

Life expectancy for chimpanzees is 40 to 50 years in the wild, as it happens. And humans are longer lived, if they survive to age ten.
The evolutionary bullet we had to dodge, from prehistory right up to the 20th century, was not the threat from overwhelming violence like warfare or predation, but the stealthy assassin of infection. And of that it was often our teeth that did for us in the end.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:12 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:54 am
The evolutionary bullet we had to dodge, from prehistory right up to the 20th century, was not the threat from overwhelming violence like warfare or predation, but the stealthy assassin of infection. And of that it was often our teeth that did for us in the end.
Actually, signs of tooth decay was rare to unheard of in the stone age, up to very recently.
There have been some recent finds of localised signs of tooth decay. It seems to be down to the emerging practice of cooking stuff. Makes the carbs more sticky.

Infection was of course common. But that's because of a rougher outdoor lifestyle. And you don't need warfare for violence to erupt. Back in those days your own family would probably be pretty violent too.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.