Wotchu lookin' at - you are under arrest!

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Re: Wotchu lookin' at - you are under arrest!

Post by PsychoSerenity » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:52 am

Rum wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:14 am
Apparently (I use the word advisedly) he crashed it because it had not been debated and any MP can stop a bill that looks like it will be passed unanimously by verbally objecting. He was objecting on this principle he later said.
That argument would hold more water if he and his other Tory mate Philip Davies hadn't spent four hours beforehand this week, and most other weeks, talking bullshit to prevent there being time for a debate on this and on many other private members bills. They just treat it like a game to block anything that didn't originate from their party. It's disgraceful, and parliamentary procedure is so antiquated that it's allowed.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

PsychoSerenity

Post by PsychoSerenity » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:16 am

One of Chope's constituents has left a protest of "knicker bunting" across the front door of his local office. :funny:

https://twitter.com/thegobbledegook/sta ... 5039091716
"No one should be able to photo my pants unless I want them to."
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Personally I think this cheap running to the most negative and judgemental conclusion about something like this is lazy and easy. The guy can’t win with an issue like this after all. One is immediately tarred by the worst elements of brainless PCism as a fascist reactionary apologist who wishes to defend misogyny and sexism. It does appear the guy has a thing for process in the Commons. Talk about hunting witches.

Meanwhile there are women ‘victims’ of this obnoxious practice being paraded on TV looking hurt and offended and blaming the likes of this guy. Trial by reality TV. Bah!

PsychoSerenity

Post by PsychoSerenity » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Rum wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:09 pm
It does appear the guy has a thing for process in the Commons.
He's the one abusing the process in the commons. There's been loads of perfectly good legislation that often had cross party support that has be knocked back by him and his ilk playing party politics and filibustering. And it's not like the bill was going to become law at that point anyway. It was only the second reading so there would be further time for scrutiny if needed. He's also one of those that have put many of his own private members bills forwards so his objection is hypocritical, and when the Tory government are rushing through legislation without proper debate does he object then?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:20 pm

All that may be true but let's face it there was a self righteous , self satisfied liberal rush to label the guy as a defender of 'upskirting' - and unassailable self righteous and smug certainty that this man of privilege - a Lord no less - was a real shit.

The liberal left (and I count myself one of those - if not in this case) can be intellectually lazy and self satisfied when it comes to this sort of thing.

PsychoSerenity

Post by PsychoSerenity » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:25 pm

But he has defended it, even though he's done that unintentionally, by needlessly blocking a law that could have made it illegal. Certainly there's been a lot of hyperbole and satire, but pretty much everything I've seen has only used this issue for the purpose of highlighting his voting record and the long list of other bills he's been involved in filibustering and blocking. It was reported right from the start that he hadn't even read what he was objecting to, which is another major reason he's getting criticism, so I don't think many people could have taken seriously any suggestion that he actively supports the legality of upskirting or that it's something he does himself.

But the man was just recently knighted for services to politics, so when he's treating serious issues as part of a point scoring game I think images like this, which are so obviously outrageous, are also still a perfectly valid commentary of the state of our politics and the actions he's taken. It's not intellectually lazy and he's not a victim for being called out on his behaviour.
Df48TcSXUAEIufl.jpg

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:01 pm

The guy is a mechanic but the looks and has a certain function in Parliament, no doubt supported by his party. He clearly didn't know the shit storm he was about to stir up with this one.

Anyway yesterday's news now.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Rum wrote:All that may be true but let's face it there was a self righteous , self satisfied liberal rush to label the guy as a defender of 'upskirting' - and unassailable self righteous and smug certainty that this man of privilege - a Lord no less - was a real shit.

The liberal left (and I count myself one of those - if not in this case) can be intellectually lazy and self satisfied when it comes to this sort of thing.
True, but we can also place him in a kind of democratic context by looking at his parliamentary questions, speeches, voting record, amendments and private bill proposals.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10103 ... ristchurch

What might we conclude from this broader picture?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

PsychoSerenity

Post by PsychoSerenity » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:33 pm

Rum wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:01 pm
Anyway yesterday's news now.
It shouldn't be though. This time he blocked a bill so obviously and widely supported that even other Tories were crying 'shame' and it became a bit of a scandal. But if there are no consequences beyond a day of media furore then he and his chums will continue, as they have been for years, manipulating the system and making a mockery of parliament.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

PsychoSerenity

Post by PsychoSerenity » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:26 am

Scapegoated implies being blamed for a problem caused by someone else. Don't think that applies here. His claim that he's defending time for backbench parliament debates from government interference as a matter of principle falls on several counts: he has form wasting hours filibustering against private members bills he doesn't like; he doesn't seem to appear in the lists of Tory rebels arguing for more debate and meaningful vote on Brexit so he has no principle there; and while the government may have supported this bill it originated from an opposition MP so the argument just doesn't apply here. Really he's just making excuses rather than admit fault. He doesn't think he's done anything wrong because he's been getting away with it for years.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:55 am

As long as they don't make looking at cleavage illegal, I don't care.
Never understood the upskirt thing anyways.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:00 am

Tyrannical wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:55 am
As long as they don't make looking at cleavage illegal, I don't care.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:12 pm

I um..er.. the world has become ...brain explosions.

Upskirting law also applies to kilts. :fall:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44542051

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:40 pm

I'm glad he stopped it. Putting people on the sex-offender's register is ludicrous for something like that.
I have a feeling that they will struggle to get it through. There is already law to cover it, if it's blatant.
That's good enough.
What if some tart falls on her arse, and you take a photo? Where are they going to draw the line?
Will the victim have to be vertical, for it to be considered upskirting? What if they are wearing a mini, and sat showing it all on a chair? Will that be upskirting?

Mini skirts have the high likelihood of leading to a slippery slope.

If you are lying in the park, taking photos, are you technically upskirting, if some trollope walks by wearing a skirt that's not much bigger than a belt? How could someone end up on the sex offender's register for something like that?
I'd be inclined to talk it down, if I was in parliament.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.