Russia Test-fires Unlimited Range Nuclear Missile!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Re: Russia Test-fires Unlimited Range Nuclear Missile!

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 23, 2018 1:02 pm

--cool :cheers:

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 23, 2018 1:49 pm

On a serious note, I just want to say that if ANY nation EVER uses a nuke in anger we should all agree now to go out onto the streets. Doesn't matter who does or where or why, or if we're at work or on the train or whatever - we should take the kids out of school, pick up the grand-parents, and get everyone to the center of town to say "NO!"
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed May 23, 2018 2:38 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:49 pm
On a serious note, I just want to say that if ANY nation EVER uses a nuke in anger we should all agree now to go out onto the streets. Doesn't matter who does or where or why, or if we're at work or on the train or whatever - we should take the kids out of school, pick up the grand-parents, and get everyone to the center of town to say "NO!"
Just send a tweet to the head of state responsible.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed May 23, 2018 5:40 pm

@headofstate that nuke thing you just did not cool. not cool man. #bongsnotbombs
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed May 23, 2018 9:03 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:56 am
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:12 pm
So, anonymous sources: check. US intelligence report (according to the anonymous sources): check. Russians deny what the anonymous sources/US intelligence have said: check. Care to tell me why you would believe this, Forty Two?
Oh, to that point, I don't really believe it, or disbelieve it. It's a report. That's all. The reason I posted it is because it's funny. I thought the title of the thread where I referenced the missile of unlimited range being tested, followed by the blurb "...crashed after 22 miles..." was a funny juxtaposition.

If the question is whether I actually believe the US intelligence sources at face value, no. Nor do I believe the Russians at face value.

However, since you regularly believe US intelligence reprots with anonymous sources which Russians deny, care to tell me why you would disbelieve this one?
I have no reason to 'disbelieve this one.' I don't see an agenda that would be sufficient motive to plant a false story that would eventually be contradicted by solid evidence. I'm not subject to phantastical ideation about 'deep state,' 'fake news,' and such. Though I don't consider the US government particularly trustworthy (in fact I strongly doubted the case made by the Bush administration when it was ginning up the Iraq war), I don't immediately jump to the conclusion that everything they say that I don't like is false, either. I also am well aware that they don't tell their citizens everything.
Forty Two wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:37 pm
... before some idiot comes along asking me if I believe the Russian announcements, or the US intelligence reports about this particular missile, no. Of course I don't. I think it would be stupid to think that the media is publishing anything close to the truth or reality of what we or they have or know. However, if the description of this missile are true, it's a significant upgrade. O.k.?
Funny; the idiots all speak highly of you. :smoke:

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 23, 2018 9:10 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Thu May 24, 2018 5:24 am

Don't forget part of the art of war is to make your enemy into suckers and mugs so as underestimate you? Feign incompetence, so you get a better shot at the target on the day of battle. Crumple saying his thing. :coffee:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Thu May 24, 2018 2:56 pm

...and on another aside. What sort of name is Satan for nuclear missile? Sort of thing a teenage boy would scrawl on his fav machine gnu before a school massacre?
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 pm

The devil is in the detail, crumps old chap... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!