Russia Test-fires Unlimited Range Nuclear Missile!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Russia Test-fires Unlimited Range Nuclear Missile!

Post by Forty Two » Tue May 22, 2018 6:48 pm

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Russia Test-fires Unlimited Range Nuclear Missile!

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 22, 2018 7:11 pm

Oops
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue May 22, 2018 9:25 pm

Even little Kim could do better than that...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue May 22, 2018 9:53 pm

That's it, no more vodka in the control room!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue May 22, 2018 10:12 pm

So, anonymous sources: check. US intelligence report (according to the anonymous sources): check. Russians deny what the anonymous sources/US intelligence have said: check. Care to tell me why you would believe this, Forty Two?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 23, 2018 2:04 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:12 pm
So, anonymous sources: check. US intelligence report (according to the anonymous sources): check. Russians deny what the anonymous sources/US intelligence have said: check. Care to tell me why you would believe this, Forty Two?
:lol:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed May 23, 2018 6:42 am

because the russian services are even less believable than the anonymous source?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 23, 2018 11:56 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Oh, to that point, I don't really believe it, or disbelieve it. It's a report. That's all. The reason I posted it is because it's funny. I thought the title of the thread where I referenced the missile of unlimited range being tested, followed by the blurb "...crashed after 22 miles..." was a funny juxtaposition.

If the question is whether I actually believe the US intelligence sources at face value, no. Nor do I believe the Russians at face value.

However, since you regularly believe US intelligence reprots with anonymous sources which Russians deny, care to tell me why you would disbelieve this one?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed May 23, 2018 12:25 pm

The Russians have had working long-range missiles for decades.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 23, 2018 12:26 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:56 am
L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Oh, to that point, I don't really believe it, or disbelieve it. It's a report. That's all. The reason I posted it is because it's funny. I thought the title of the thread where I referenced the missile of unlimited range being tested, followed by the blurb "...crashed after 22 miles..." was a funny juxtaposition.

If the question is whether I actually believe the US intelligence sources at face value, no. Nor do I believe the Russians at face value.

However, since you regularly believe US intelligence reprots with anonymous sources which Russians deny, care to tell me why you would disbelieve this one?
:lol: I thought you posted it because it was a chance to show how big bad Russia may not be so bad after all. It's a natural continuation of one of your favorite digs '..the 80s called and they want their foreign policy back'.

Sure, it's funny. But that's why it's funny.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed May 23, 2018 12:28 pm

What I am really worried about: Who thinks it is a good idea to test a missile that has a working nuclear reaction inside???

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 23, 2018 12:36 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:26 pm
Forty Two wrote:
L'Emmerdeur wrote:

:lol: I thought you posted it because it was a chance to show how big bad Russia may not be so bad after all. It's a natural continuation of one of your favorite digs '..the 80s called and they want their foreign policy back'.

Obama was the one minimizing the badness of Russia when he said "the 80s called and they want their foreign policy back." Mit Romney was suggesting they were a serious foreign policy threat. The media, the American left, the Democratic Party, and Obama all spit out their coffee in unison to laugh at the ridiculous claim that Russia was in any way a threat to the US. Fast forward to 2016, and Trump runs for President, Hillary's emails are leaked, and suddenly even doing business in Russia is evidence of possible treason, because Russia, like East Asia, has always been our enemy.

I've never suggested Russia is not a threat, and is not an adversary nation. They aren't an enemy nation, though, and we're always trying to get along with them. The Obama Administration tried to be friends with them, and hit the "reset button" to create a friendly relationship.

They have a significant military, significant numbers of nukes with deliverable ICBMs. So, of course they're a threat. I posted this to poke fun.

Believing reports like this is an exercise in futility. We know nothing of the details. Nothing is supported by evidence. And, for all we know the Americans, the Russians, or both are putting out disinformation on purpose.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 23, 2018 12:37 pm

NineBerry wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:25 pm
The Russians have had working long-range missiles for decades.
Not like the one they're claiming to be developing or have developed. This one's an upgrade.

EDIT - before some idiot comes along asking me if I believe the Russian announcements, or the US intelligence reports about this particular missile, no. Of course I don't. I think it would be stupid to think that the media is publishing anything close to the truth or reality of what we or they have or know. However, if the description of this missile are true, it's a significant upgrade. O.k.?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 23, 2018 12:45 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:36 pm
Sean Hayden wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:26 pm
Forty Two wrote:
L'Emmerdeur wrote:

Obama was the one minimizing the badness of Russia when he said "the 80s called and they want their foreign policy back." Mit Romney was suggesting they were a serious foreign policy threat. The media, the American left, the Democratic Party, and Obama all spit out their coffee in unison to laugh at the ridiculous claim that Russia was in any way a threat to the US. Fast forward to 2016, and Trump runs for President, Hillary's emails are leaked, and suddenly even doing business in Russia is evidence of possible treason, because Russia, like East Asia, has always been our enemy.

I've never suggested Russia is not a threat, and is not an adversary nation. They aren't an enemy nation, though, and we're always trying to get along with them. The Obama Administration tried to be friends with them, and hit the "reset button" to create a friendly relationship.

They have a significant military, significant numbers of nukes with deliverable ICBMs. So, of course they're a threat. I posted this to poke fun.

Believing reports like this is an exercise in futility. We know nothing of the details. Nothing is supported by evidence. And, for all we know the Americans, the Russians, or both are putting out disinformation on purpose.
I don't think it's necessary to deny having a greater purpose behind posting the op than just to poke fun. None of us are 100% unbiased and objective anything like most of the time. :dunno:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed May 23, 2018 12:58 pm

I had no greater purpose - I posted it to have fun. Whether they do or do not have this missile is not in any way related to any political opinion I have. I don't think it would be surprising for them to have this technology, nor would it be suprising to have a failed test. Having a failed test doesn't mean all that much. All weapons are developed through failed tests.

I recall as a young kid seeing a "60 Minutes" episode excoriating a new missile program as a flop, costing too much, and failing miserably. It was supposed to be some ludicrious idea of a missile that basically flew, and could be guided to a target, to more surgically strike targets. It was failing tests miserably, said the news reports. It wouldn't work, said naysayers. In 1992 in the Gulf War we saw it in action for the first time, and it has been a mainstay of US military actions for the last 25 years. The Tomahawk Cruise Missile. And now you know..... the rest of the story.