Gambling machines. I'm seriously impressed.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Re: Gambling machines. I'm seriously impressed.

Post by mistermack » Sat May 19, 2018 11:21 pm

cronus wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:09 pm
How can you be feckless whilst poor? The choice to be feckless requires a wad of cash to be feckless with. And if someone doesn't learn from losing too much of their monthly wad a few times at the bookies then that is stupidity not addiction. This change is religious inspired small mindedness that pretends to be moral guardians whilst robbing people of their adult choices.
So you think stupid people are fair game? Exploitation is ok, because some people don't have the mental tools to deal with it?

Charming world you inhabit. :tdown:
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat May 19, 2018 11:25 pm

The other critical action all governments (including Oz) need to do is to completely ban any advertising of gambling. They did it with smoking, they can do it with gambling...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun May 20, 2018 1:48 am

mistermack wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 8:33 pm
What sort of lack of imagination do you have to have, to view addiction as fecklessness?
I don't know, but not surprised to hear it out of SD.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun May 20, 2018 2:52 am

I'm okay with people having addictions. I hope they can overcome them and have the life they want.

I have very little patience for former addicts who would ban anything for the good of those people/themselves?

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun May 20, 2018 3:00 am

edit: former addicts, tsk, tsk, 'once an addict always an addict' I should have said I have very little patience for addicts.

:fulloftheshamies:

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun May 20, 2018 4:05 am

This is a debate that has cropped up on Rationalia threads many times. Like many of our debates, it tends to become polarised into 2 camps, which I will portray with a bit of hyperbole...

1. People who harm themselves by their own actions (which includes various addictions, as long as the person started themselves) only have their own weakness to blame. Society and the law should make no effort to prevent the harm other than criminal sanctions against them, with the possible exception of child victims.

2. Everything that befalls people is the fault of the social structure around them, typically including rapacious capitalist corporations. Given this, societies themselves have a responsibility of legislation for effective and comprehensive social control, often in the form of "Ban X, Y and Z"

Hopefully a more nuanced view can be found, where personal and societal responsibility both have their roles to play.
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun May 20, 2018 4:29 am

Everybody knows somebody who has been hurt by addiction, so the attitude pretty much seems to be that we want to help addicts --to a point. In most of the places where posters on this forum live it's already treated like a health issue. The US still has a ways to go in terms of the disconnect between how society wants to treat drug addictions in particular and how the justice system does. But that has been steadily changing for the better for a long time now. For example, the state has been offering rehab before prison for a while now. (That may not always be great btw, but I think it speaks to their willingness to move closer to how we would like addiction to be treated) There are of course exceptions in some of the more backward parts of the nation.

Also a lot of people with insurance can get some of the costs of rehab paid for, and people without insurance or people in financial trouble can request money for treatment.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sun May 20, 2018 5:10 am

I nearly got mugged yesterday by one of these so called victims of society. Not gonna change except to change their 'habit' with those sort of personality traits - lend us a tenner mate with that leering menacing land grab tone. And I do differentiate between learning disabled, true unfortunates with genuine cognitive impairments, and the ones visiting the bookies or their local dealer for a overkill of drugs. But I'd not ban the bookies or dealers, make them bored and they get nasty. Zombies on spice.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun May 20, 2018 6:25 am

You sure they didn't knock you over the head when they mugged you yesterday?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun May 20, 2018 8:37 am

JimC wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:05 am
This is a debate that has cropped up on Rationalia threads many times. Like many of our debates, it tends to become polarised into 2 camps, which I will portray with a bit of hyperbole...

1. People who harm themselves by their own actions (which includes various addictions, as long as the person started themselves) only have their own weakness to blame. Society and the law should make no effort to prevent the harm other than criminal sanctions against them, with the possible exception of child victims.

2. Everything that befalls people is the fault of the social structure around them, typically including rapacious capitalist corporations. Given this, societies themselves have a responsibility of legislation for effective and comprehensive social control, often in the form of "Ban X, Y and Z"

Hopefully a more nuanced view can be found, where personal and societal responsibility both have their roles to play.

I think people are ambivalent about the issue. Rationally we know that addictis (particularly chemical ones/alcohol) become medical 'conditions' that require some sort of treatment. Addicts have our sympathy for the most part.

The next moment we fall into judgemental mode blaming them for the difficulties they have and for their relapses and so on. I think many of us hold both views at the same time.

I also think that the social and economic position people are in makes a difference to the trajectory of their addiction. Well off people can often afford to indulge their addiction without too much financial or personal disruption - certainly with alcohol and some drugs. Those often least able to afford their substance of destruction end up homeless and in the stereotypical homeless drunk situation. I'm pretty sure I came across a good few 'functioning' drunks in our senior management group before I retired for example who might well have been on their uppers without the wherewithal to buy their bottle of Scotch for the evening.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun May 20, 2018 9:01 am

Very true, Rum...
And my gin!

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon May 21, 2018 3:31 pm

cronus wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:09 pm
How can you be feckless whilst poor? The choice to be feckless requires a wad of cash to be feckless with. And if someone doesn't learn from losing too much of their monthly wad a few times at the bookies then that is stupidity not addiction. This change is religious inspired small mindedness that pretends to be moral guardians whilst robbing people of their adult choices.
I think it's reasonable to - "rob" is the wrong word, but certainly "limit" - people's adult choices when, in so many cases, it's not their money they're spending. A lot of the time, it's money we give to them to save them from a life in the gutter, because they're unable or, more likely, unwilling to go out and earn their own through an honest day's work. If this means me getting harassed for money in the street by toothless simpletons slightly less often, then I'm all for it.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon May 21, 2018 4:01 pm

God you are a disgrace. Reality has no impact on you, does it? Where's your evidence that any significant number of people are "unwilling to go out and earn their own through an honest day's work"? Welfare fraud at the bottom end of town is tiny, and is dwarfed by the top end of town - the people who you and your neoliberal buddies wank over. Not to mention that there are far more job seekers than there are jobs. But don't let reality get in the way of your conservative biases...

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Mon May 21, 2018 4:30 pm

The only serious gambler I knew was a ex-fisherman. Unemployed, disabled from a mast falling on him one time during a storm at sea. Fair enough to me how he wanted to spend his money. And it was his money he spent having put quite a wad in the pot during better days.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon May 21, 2018 6:29 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 4:01 pm
God you are a disgrace. Reality has no impact on you, does it? Where's your evidence that any significant number of people are "unwilling to go out and earn their own through an honest day's work"? Welfare fraud at the bottom end of town is tiny, and is dwarfed by the top end of town - the people who you and your neoliberal buddies wank over. Not to mention that there are far more job seekers than there are jobs. But don't let reality get in the way of your conservative biases...
The UK is at or close to full employment. You have no idea what things are like in the UK, I don't go a single day without being pestered for money by some fucking mutant in the street. I can just ignore them, but goodness knows how intimidating that is for someone less physically imposing than me, my girlfriend has given money more than once out of genuine fear for what might happen if she didn't.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater