Texas School Shooting: 10 dead

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: Texas School Shooting: 10 dead

Post by Seabass » Fri May 18, 2018 10:27 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:33 pm
The interpretation of the 2nd Amendment as protecting the right of citizens of the US to keep and bear arms irrespective of the issue of 'well regulated militia' is correct, in my opinion.
Well then why even include the phrase at all?

Why not simply:
"the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

instead of:
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Even if we accept that the part before the comma gives the reason for the part after it, the word "regulated" has to be there for a reason...
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri May 18, 2018 10:30 pm

Rum wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:14 pm
In the mean time your so called constitution has resulted in more kids killed this year in mass shootings than soldiers In your various ‘adventures’. Your paranoia about government oppression is a self feeding and fulfilling mesh of fear and unjustified anxiety. Do you think the rest of the developed world is at the mercy of their governments because they don’t have guns in their bedside lockers?

Just fuck off all of you americans who even vaguely defend the status quo by referring to your Constitution, that doesn’t wash any more.

Go on - justify the deaths of another ten kids. Fucking idiots.
Generally speaking, it's the Republicans that have a zealous devotion to the Constitution. Not even the whole document, really; just the 2nd Amendment.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri May 18, 2018 10:42 pm

Republican senator from Texas:

He received the second most votes after Trump in the 2016 Republican presidential primary.
Last edited by Seabass on Fri May 18, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri May 18, 2018 10:48 pm

This massacre seems unusual in terms of being perpetrated, at least in part, with a shotgun, which are legal even here. So even very strict gun control may not have stopped this particular event.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Fri May 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:48 pm
This massacre seems unusual in terms of being perpetrated, at least in part, with a shotgun, which are legal even here. So even very strict gun control may not have stopped this particular event.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the Google, one must be at least 18yrs to buy a gun in the UK. This kid was 17. He also had a revolver. I'm also guessing you probably have to jump through more hoops to get a gun in the UK.

In any case, the point of gun control is to reduce, rather than eliminate, gun violence.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 pm

:(
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 18, 2018 11:21 pm

This is not a time to talk about gun control. We need to know the facts about this case to avoid the risk of creating bad laws that don't actually stop this kind of thing from happening again. If teachers had been armed, as Mr Trump suggested after Parkland, this tragic incident probably wouldn't have occurred.

(I find if profoundly depressing that I know the NRA line off-by-heart now).
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri May 18, 2018 11:22 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 pm
Did I read that too? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Sat May 19, 2018 12:11 am

Seabass wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:01 pm
Strontium Dog wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:48 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the Google, one must be at least 18yrs to buy a gun in the UK. This kid was 17. He also had a revolver. I'm also guessing you probably have to jump through more hoops to get a gun in the UK.

In any case, the point of gun control is to reduce, rather than eliminate, gun violence.
There's no minimum age to get a shotgun licence in the UK. Shotguns are pretty much everywhere in rural areas.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat May 19, 2018 1:44 am

Rum wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:22 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:03 pm
Did I read that too? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
No, I was meaning the shooting itself. It's sad that this keeps happening to kids.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat May 19, 2018 2:35 am

UK shotgun certification requirements: https://www.met.police.uk/advice-and-in ... tificates/
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sat May 19, 2018 5:15 am

I agree with the sentiment, but "our leaders" aren't the problem. Republicans are the problem.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pol ... story.html

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat May 19, 2018 7:34 am

There is no likely solution. The US is locked into a high level of gun-related violence. No real pathway to actual change is going to succeed; gun culture is ingrained. You are fucked, and you just have to live with it.

For US people accusing me of pessimism, show me a realistic path that alters things there.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat May 19, 2018 8:54 am

JimC wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:34 am
There is no likely solution. The US is locked into a high level of gun-related violence. No real pathway to actual change is going to succeed; gun culture is ingrained. You are fucked, and you just have to live with it.

For US people accusing me of pessimism, show me a realistic path that alters things there.
I agree with you on this. They are down a rabbit hole with this issue. The Democrats have an easy 'out' in blaming the Republicans. The problem should unite them, not divide them - oh and that it does not is also probably the fault of the Republicans.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat May 19, 2018 9:20 am

JimC wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:34 am
There is no likely solution. The US is locked into a high level of gun-related violence. No real pathway to actual change is going to succeed; gun culture is ingrained. You are fucked, and you just have to live die with it.

:fix:

Eventually there'll need to be an amendment that nullifies the second just like the 21st nullified the 18th. Either that, or a saner interpretation of the 2nd needs to be enshrined. For starters, I don't see how the availability of concealable firearms contribute to the defence against a tyrannous government in any meaningful way. As for long-barrelled arms, a militia can be just as well regulated if those guns are stored in the militias' armoury when not needed for actually overthrowing a tyrannous government or exercises aimed at honing the skills for doing exactly that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould