Change the name of Israel

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Change the name of Israel

Post by mistermack » Tue May 15, 2018 8:50 pm

I think it should be called "Jewish State".

It has an awful lot in common with Islamic State. Including a fondness for massacring huge numbers of unarmed people.

Anyway, Jewish State is exactly what it is, so I think the name should be made to stick.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Change the name of Israel

Post by JimC » Tue May 15, 2018 9:11 pm

What is hidden by the somewhat facile OP is some very significant tensions within Israel. The right-wing Zionist hawks are frequently at odds with the ultra-religious conservative Jews, who often (for example) shield their sons from military service because they are all training to be Rabbis...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 pm

I'm not sure the ultra right wing hawks are so at odds with the ultra orthodox, given that, even though they are draft dodgers, they will provide a new crop of ultra right wing zionist rabbis that will encourage more colonial policies in a Spirit of Israel is Jewish land and cultivate the current culture of treating the palestinians like second, or even third class citizens, when treated as citizens at all...
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue May 15, 2018 9:34 pm

Call it Jewish State, make some of the fuckers who broke Gods own lore on borders a long time ago now, think its time to quit....good thing going for them.

What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 15, 2018 9:36 pm

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 pm
I'm not sure the ultra right wing hawks are so at odds with the ultra orthodox, given that, even though they are draft dodgers, they will provide a new crop of ultra right wing zionist rabbis that will encourage more colonial policies in a Spirit of Israel is Jewish land and cultivate the current culture of treating the palestinians like second, or even third class citizens, when treated as citizens at all...
Within Israel, there was a strong secular tradition from the very beginning. From what I've read, they are Zionist in the sense of wanting the state of Israel to survive, but not necessarily right wing, and usually opposed to the settlement program which, as you say, is typically the preserve of rabid religionists...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Tue May 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Clearly they should let Palestinians storm the fence and massacre Israelis. Or something.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue May 15, 2018 9:49 pm

It wasn't Israelis massacred yesterday.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Tue May 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Pointing out that Israel's tactics worked effectively is probably not the best argument.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue May 15, 2018 10:00 pm

Wow!
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 pm

JimC wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:38 pm
Svartalf wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 pm
Within Israel, there was a strong secular tradition from the very beginning. From what I've read, they are Zionist in the sense of wanting the state of Israel to survive, but not necessarily right wing, and usually opposed to the settlement program which, as you say, is typically the preserve of rabid religionists...
Maybe Ben Gourion and Rabin were reasonable secularists, but nowaday the right wingers in netanyahu's Likud have one foot in the ultra orthodox house because they need that vote in the Knesset (and it's funny to remember that the Israeli parliament is the Knesset, but that the Hebrew Beth Knesset means a synagogue) ... politics makes for strange bedfellows.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 9:52 pm
Pointing out that Israel's tactics worked effectively is probably not the best argument.
The Nazis used the same methods in every country that they occupied, and it was very effective.

If one German got killed, they would wipe out a village.
How long will it take the Jews to work out that Hitler's final solution would work for them too?
I think they already have, and are working on it right now.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Tue May 15, 2018 10:13 pm

Yeah, but you're an anti-semitic crackpot.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue May 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Animavore wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:00 pm
Wow!
Indeed.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue May 15, 2018 10:33 pm

I hear all the claims and counter claims, and I don't know fuck all about it because I'm just an ordinary Joe. But I can spot a trend, and it doesn't look good for the Palestinians.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake