US Election 2020

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: US Election 2020

Post by Seabass » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:32 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:58 pm
OK. My mistake. But still racism, eh?

On another point. I found out this week that prisoners are counted as residents of a county for the purposes of elections even though they don't get a vote.
Yep. And most prisons are built in rural areas that are predominantly white. And since prison populations are disproportionally made up of black and brown people from urban areas, what happens is white people in those rural areas end up gaining more voting power at the expense black and brown urban dwellers.

You know how conservatives are always accusing the left of "seeing racism everywhere, in everything" as 42 put it? The fact is, you can find racism in places where you wouldn't even think to look for it. Now, whether this policy was made with racist intent, I don't know, but the end result is definitely racist.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:13 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:52 pm
Tim Pool understands the news better than you guys.
Seabass wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:35 am

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Tim Pool is a fucking halfwit. He's not as dumb as Crowder though, I'll give him that much.

Ok, maybe I was wrong. Perhaps he is as dumb as Crowder... :fp:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TimPoolClips ... 0763469825
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:58 pm

Seabass wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:13 pm
Cunt wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:52 pm
Tim Pool understands the news better than you guys.
Seabass wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:35 am

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Tim Pool is a fucking halfwit. He's not as dumb as Crowder though, I'll give him that much.

Ok, maybe I was wrong. Perhaps he is as dumb as Crowder... :fp:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TimPoolClips ... 0763469825
I think Tim Pool works from the shallow end....
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:35 pm

1355A550-282F-491B-A485-6992BBD619E0.jpeg
1355A550-282F-491B-A485-6992BBD619E0.jpeg (73.84 KiB) Viewed 2683 times
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:52 am

Trump was manipulating DOJ to sue states. Business Insider:
President Donald Trump wanted the Department of Justice to file lawsuits in the Supreme Court against specific states in an attempt to overturn their election results, according to a new report from The Wall Street Journal.

"He wanted us, the United States, to sue one or more of the states directly in the Supreme Court," a former administration official told The Journal.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:19 am

Self-styled militia members planned on storming the U.S. Capitol days in advance of Jan. 6 attack, court documents say

Self-styled militia members from Virginia, Ohio and other states made plans to storm the U.S. Capitol days in advance of the Jan. 6 attack, and then communicated in real time as they breached the building on opposite sides and talked about hunting for lawmakers, according to court documents filed Tuesday.

While authorities have charged more than 100 individuals in the riot, details in the new allegations against three U.S. military veterans offer a disturbing look at what they allegedly said to one another before, during and after the attack — statements that indicate a degree of preparation and determination to rush deep into the halls and tunnels of Congress to make “citizens’ arrests” of elected officials.

U.S. authorities charged an apparent leader of the Oath Keepers extremist group, Thomas Edward Caldwell, 66, of Berryville, Va., in the attack, alleging that the Navy veteran helped organize a ring of dozens who coordinated their movements as they “stormed the castle” to disrupt the confirmation of President-elect Joe Biden’s electoral college victory.

“We have about 30-40 of us. We are sticking together and sticking to the plan,” co-defendant Jessica Watkins, 38, an Army veteran, said while the breach was underway, according to court documents.

“You are executing citizen’s arrest. Arrest this assembly, we have probable cause for acts of treason, election fraud,” a man replied, according to audio recordings of communications between Watkins and others during the incursion.

“We are in the main dome right now. We are rocking it. They are throwing grenades, they are fricking shooting people with paint balls. But we are in here,” a woman believed to be Watkins said, according to court documents.

A man then responds, “Get it, Jess,” adding, “This is . . . everything we f---ing trained for!”

The FBI said it recovered the exchange from Zello, a push-to-talk, two-way radio phone app.

FBI charging papers against Caldwell, Watkins and a third person, former U.S. Marine Donovan Crowl, 50, allege that Caldwell and others coordinated in advance to disrupt Congress, scouted for lodging and recruited Oath Keepers members from North Carolina and like-minded groups from the Shenandoah Valley. The group claims thousands of members who assert the right to defy government orders they deem improper. The plotters both anticipated violence and continued to act in concert after the break-in, investigators alleged in court documents. FBI papers also say that Caldwell suggested a similar event at the local level after the attack, saying in a message: “Lets storm the capitol in Ohio. Tell me when!”

The three are charged with five federal counts of conspiracy against the United States; obstructing an official government proceeding; impeding or injuring government officers; and destroying U.S. property, entering restricted grounds and disorderly conduct at the Capitol.

Attempts to reach attorneys for Caldwell, Watkins and Crowl have been unsuccessful. No one immediately responded to messages left at numbers connected to Caldwell.

Watkins, of Woodstock, Ohio, told the Ohio Capital Journal last week that she formed a group known as the Ohio State Regular Militia in 2019 and that it had patrolled 12 protests to “protect people” on both sides. She said she had served a tour in Afghanistan while in the Army. She also said she was a member of the Oath Keepers.

“I didn’t commit a crime. I didn’t destroy anything. I didn’t wreck anything,” Watkins said to the Journal, adding that the riot was a peaceful protest that turned violent.

Crowl’s mother, Teresa Rowe, said she was appalled to see pictures of him in the Capitol. She said he had become radicalized after leaving the Marine Corps.

“I wish I could tell people what happened to him, but I don’t know,” Rowe said.

The arrests this weekend of several people with alleged ties to far-right extremist groups, including the Oath Keepers, the Proud Boys and the Three Percenters, suggest that the riot was not an entirely impulsive outburst of violence but an event instigated or exploited by organized groups. Hours of video posted on social media and pored over by investigators have focused on individuals in military-style gear moving together.

FBI probes possible connections between extremist groups at heart of Capitol violence

“This is the first step toward identifying and understanding that there was some type of concerted conspiracy here,” said one senior official with the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia, which is leading the investigation.

“Whether everyone else just happened to be there and got caught up in the moment, or if this is just the tip of the iceberg, how much this will grow at this point I can’t tell you, but we are continuing to investigate aggressively,” according to the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a pending investigation.

In charging papers, the FBI said that during the Capitol riot, Caldwell received Facebook messages from unspecified senders updating him of the location of lawmakers. When he posted a one-word message, “Inside,” he received exhortations and directions describing tunnels, doors and hallways, the FBI said.

Some messages, according to the FBI, included, “Tom all legislators are down in the Tunnels 3floors down,” and “Go through back house chamber doors facing N left down hallway down steps.” Another message read: “All members are in the tunnels under capital seal them in. Turn on gas,” the FBI added.

Other arrests Tuesday also underscored law enforcement’s concerns about threats to elected leaders, particularly because so many of the participants in the Jan. 6 chaos are still unidentified.

In New York, a Queens man who worked in the state court system was accused Tuesday of making threats to murder Democratic politicians, including suggesting another attack on the Capitol timed to Biden’s inauguration. The man was not at the riot on Jan. 6 but made threatening remarks about Democratic politicians beforehand that intensified in a video he posted two days later, which was titled “KILL YOUR SENATORS.” In the video, he encourages people to return to the Capitol and take up arms.

“If anybody has a gun, give it to me, I’ll go there myself and shoot them and kill them,” the man said, according to the FBI.
full article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/le ... story.html

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:42 am

These are the people for whom "the ends justify the means" was written for...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:04 am

'Maybe we don't bother charging some of these people.' Yeah, it's about 'swamping the courthouse' of course it is. As Representative Jayapal notes, this shouldn't even be on the table and very likely wouldn't be, if the attack on the US Capitol Building had come from a different quarter.

Consider if you will: Say the crowd that sacked the Capitol had been Muslim, attempting to prevent passage of some legislation they found objectionable. It doesn't seem likely there would be any thought of not pressing charges.

I recall in the very first days of the Trump administration when a number of protesters and bystanders were corralled ('kettled') by the DC police, hauled off and charged, regardless of their actual involvement in any illegal activity. There were trials going on for a few weeks, but I don't recall any mention of dropping charges because of concern for the work-load at the courts.

'Justice Department, FBI debate not charging some of the Capitol rioters'
Federal law enforcement officials are privately debating whether they should decline to charge some of the individuals who stormed the U.S. Capitol this month — a politically loaded proposition but one alert to the practical concern that hundreds of such cases could swamp the local courthouse.

The internal discussions are in their early stages, and no decisions have been reached about whether to forgo charging some of those who illegally entered the Capitol on Jan. 6, according to multiple people familiar with the discussions.

Justice Department officials have promised a relentless effort to identify and arrest those who stormed the Capitol that day, but internally there is robust back-and-forth about whether charging them all is the best course of action. That debate comes at a time when officials are keenly sensitive that the credibility of the Justice Department and the FBI are at stake in such decisions, given the apparent security and intelligence failures that preceded the riot, these people said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss legal deliberations.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:02 am

Surely the court load could be spread out geographically, if they are serious about prosecuting white people.

I mean, there's not so much of a problem with law enforcement and black people.

When they're shot by police, they wouldn't be taking up precious court time and space...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:36 am

The final edits have been made to the Wiki article on the Jan 6h certification.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Unit ... vote_count

about 2/3 of the house Republicans were ready to throw out the election results
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Unit ... nnsylvania

As much as we complain about the senate and Cruz, only 7 senators were misbehaved. Seems the senators, with a 6 year term, are more tolerant of fineries such as the democratic process, such as it is.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:28 pm

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin approves request to extend nearly 2,300 troops at Capitol until May 23
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/capitol-na ... nsion-may/

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 pm

Trump appeal
https://www.theonion.com/trump-loses-la ... 1846449513

“Why even bother appointing judges if they’re just going to rule impartially?”

EARLE POIRIER, CIGARETTE TASTER

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:14 pm

The inspector general for the Capitol Police in Washington DC has a report on the attack on the US Capitol.

'Capitol Police Were Reportedly Told To Go Easy On The MAGA Rioters On January 6, Despite Warnings That They'd Turn Violent'
The failed MAGA riot of January 6 was a surprise even to the most pessimistic observer, but there's one reason it got out of hand: According to a new 104-page report, Capitol police were told to hold back when it came to the incoming MAGA protesters -- despite knowing that potential for violence was high.

This comes from The New York Times, who reviewed the large document, prepared by internal investigators and to be presented before the House Administration Committee on Thursday. What the inspector general, whose name is Michael A. Bolton, found is pretty scathing:
Mr. Bolton found that the agency's leaders failed to adequately prepare despite explicit warnings that pro-Trump extremists posed a threat to law enforcement and civilians and that the police used defective protective equipment. He also found that the leaders ordered their Civil Disturbance Unit to refrain from using its most powerful crowd-control tools -- like stun grenades -- to put down the onslaught.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:22 pm

If that was a 'failed riot', are there successful ones implied?
:tea:
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:26 pm

Cunt wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:22 pm
If that was a 'failed riot', are there successful ones implied?
:tea:
The lynching of Pence, and death, would have resulted in enormous changes.